Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-03-2003 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber

big fingerprints? :S

anyone play acoustic guitar here? cos i have a question :S
im used to playin the electric, but im just playin with my brothers acoustic and the bass strings are rather different :S
these bass strings are rather texturey as in theyve got lil ridges, im sureu no what i mean, this is the same as on bass guitars, but my question is, when you slide on the bass strings, or even when you just lift a finger off the fret, do your fingerprints hit the strings and cause them to vibrate (sound)? i know its a weird question, but whenever i play anything and lift my finger off it gives me an unwanted note user added image

does this happen to everyone or do i just have big fingerprints? user added image user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 06-03-2003 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
I used to play a little when i was younger and yup - i know what noises u mean exactly - when u run ur fingers along the frets especially. I think this is one reason why some gutarists wear tape around their fingers. Its not unusual tho, i mean if u listen to something like MTV unplugged album u can here those noises too. Usually with electric guitars that kinda noise is drowned out user added image

# 3 06-03-2003 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
ello,

i have played a bit of guitar over the years -I think the noise you are referring to is caused by you finger pad not coming off perfectly perpendicular to the fret/fretboard - causing a sort of pull off effect(if you know what I mean). That or maybe you fingers are slightly greasy/sticky and the string actually sticks to it momentarily. I think it happens more on the bass strings cause they have a rougher surface - leads to more friction.

Now I could be heading down totally the wrong path on that so forgive my ramblings user added image)

cheers

rich

# 4 06-03-2003 , 01:23 AM
Subscriber
no, ur both exactly right! its annoying as hell
how do you stop it frm happening? i dont really wanna wear tape on each finger user added image someone might mistake it for a claw

- Simon

# 5 06-03-2003 , 01:55 AM
I happend with electric gituars too, you just cant hear it over the amp.

There's nothing you really can do to stop it cos it's part of the acoustic sound, although, does your acoustic have heavy strings cos light strings might reduce it a bit.

Heave strings are harder and therefore you have to press down on them harder so when changing cord you still have a little pressure on them. Like it said, lighter strings might reduce this

You can just play classical guitar as they have nilon strings [which have no ridges]

Also like alexgc said, if you listen to any acoustic set, like MTV Unplugged. I accually kinda like the sound a bit.

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 06-03-2003 at 02:05 AM.
# 6 06-03-2003 , 02:08 AM
Subscriber
lol ill get my brother to replace the strings then user added image

well, thx anyways user added image ill just stick to electric user added image

- Simon

# 7 06-03-2003 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber
my sentiments exactly -stick to the electric user added image and make as much fret noise as you want!!

rich