Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-04-2003 , 12:43 AM

Radius constraint

Hey guys, I gotta admit that I joined up so I can sove this problem user added image but this look slike a good forum to check out anyway.

I'm trying to constrain one locator to a fixed radius from another locator. Sounds easy, but I've tried a hundred ways of doing this with no success.

With the distanceDimnesion command you can define the distance and get a value - but you can't limit it! anoying.

I wont go into all my other attempts, but one way that sort of works is constraining the outside locator to the geometry of a sphere who's pivot point is on the inside locator. This works pretty well, but once I start scaling up the sphere (which I need to be able to do) the outside locator jumps around a little. Nothing I can do to stop this.

So, my question is, is there a way to do this mathematicly? or maybe theres a simpler way I havn't seen yet?

thanks for any help - alex.

# 2 07-04-2003 , 03:47 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'm not sure I'm grasping what you're trying to do, but would Set Driven Key be something you could do for this?

# 3 07-04-2003 , 04:12 AM
Hey Mike, cheers for the reply. Basicaly I'm trying to create a Distance Constraint. - I'd like to contrain one locator to a certain distance from another.

any ideas?

-alex.

# 4 08-04-2003 , 08:18 AM
have you tried using the offset value for the constraint?

Cam
# 5 08-04-2003 , 08:34 AM
hey Cammm, did you reply to this on cgTalk as well?

if not, I'll give the same reply I gave before. using any point constraint with or without an offset value would lock the contrained locator to a position.

I want to be able to move the contrained locator to within a sphere of influence - or distance.

e.g. exactly like the Distance Contraint in XSI.