Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-04-2003 , 09:12 PM

Flickering in animation?

I just finished rendering an animation and as it plays out....several objects in the scene flicker. I think it may be that there are polys that are to close to each other and Maya gets confused which one to draw first so it draws one than the other.

Is this what's happening or is there something else? I merged vertices but not too much as it destroys my geometry. Any suggestions? Thanks.

# 2 14-04-2003 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
I'm not entirely sure, but it may be something called artifacts. I don't know much about them, but I think they have to do with the layout of the geometry. It only occurs where geometry curves too much at one point or there is a lot of geometry or something like that in one, small place. Who knows, maybe it's not this at all. Perhaps someone else can elaborate. In the mean time, why don't you batch render a short animation of some simple poly and nurbs objects and see if it re-occurs there. Also, it just might be your production quality in the render globals. I have never batch rendered at the lowest quality, but that's what you may be doing since that is the default. Just change the preset to Production Quality if you haven't already.