Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 10-05-2003 , 04:27 AM
I agree and disagree... i have been in my fair share of posts where something i think is good has been destroyed by criticism, with maybe one good comment, if that. Does get discouraging. Usingly not helping with any useful criticism, such as "well the water looks okay, except far away should be blurred more and increase the light on this are but theres something wrong with the other parets i just dont know."

Just because you suggest it doesnt mean the person has to change the lighting or blur...

But i do say it looks nice, fine so on. I usually try and say what i dont like about the same image, and what i do. I know Hybrid does the same... but i cant comment much on the actual building because i use lw. So i can only comment on how it looks as to how i think it should. key work I think it SHOULD. Its still upto the artist.

# 17 11-05-2003 , 01:18 AM
Well, I think we're all adult here enough to know just how far to go with c&c. What I meant by c&c was not to tear something apart for every little detail but simply to tell the artist what could be done to help them improve their technique.

I think a few of you are reading into this the wrong way. Don't c&c if you're just going to bash them about their model. Be respectful and encouraging. Offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism for the most part, especially if asked to. In the case that no one asks for c&c, then it is up to you guys to just add in what you think would help the artist to create a better model... that's all.

I'm glad to see I struck a good nerve here though. I can see that Im dealing with a very well managed group of people. Let's not stray fom being nice to eachother about each other's works, but let's try to be more helpful.

PEACE

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 18 12-05-2003 , 02:45 PM
I like constructive criticism, as long as it actually serves a purpose. Sometimes people really don't listen to what the artist is trying to do. For instance, if I was creating a cartoon figure, and the nose was extremely exaggerated, I don't need information about the nose being exactly placed in such and such place. There are liberties that can be taken, and people should consider that as well. Not everything has to follow an exact, cookie cut look, and from a lot of critique's and comments I've seen here and other places, that's what most people critique on. If it's not ultra-realism, it's not right. But of course, if someone is going for realism, then that's a different story.

Just an observation.

# 19 15-05-2003 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
My feeling on this matter and being a newbie my self is, If I post a picture looking for help and someone tells me it looks like user added image I’m going to take it with a grain of salt, I may be proud of what I have accomplished but I can’t be bummed out if no one likes it, criticism is the best kind of help there is, as long as it’s not spiteful, then the person giving it loses their credibility and comes off looking like an user added image But then not every one is the same And can be affined by ignorance.

# 20 17-05-2003 , 09:59 PM
Hey R-Tillery.. you get 100 fresh points for the creative use of smileys. user added image LOL!

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 21 17-05-2003 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
Just Like to keep things Interesting user added image

# 22 18-05-2003 , 02:09 AM
Having extreme little knowledge of Maya, I very seldom critisize someone's work. Most all of the work here is better than what i can do. So i'm always impressed with what ppl do. Sometimes I might just try and point things out that don't look right.

Also, being so inexpereinced, I would like for ppl to speak out. Don't say it looks like crap, but try to get me to try something that i might have not done. This will give me th oportunity to experiment and learn new things in the program.

- Matt