Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-05-2003 , 02:39 AM

VFXTALK.com - NEW community for Compositors!

Hey all, Paul Moran from a new community site for Compositing and VFX called VFXTALK.com just emailed me, and I thought I would tell all that are interested in compositing as much as me and Brian E. are, it is a great site to check out!

Not to take anything away from SM, hehe...
Never hurts to have another site to check out in the morning. user added image

VFXTalk.com is a site Dedicated to Digital Compositing & VFX Creation. With cutting edge industry news, professionally authored tutorials, fantastic forums monitored by industry professionals, monthly compositing challenges, and much more!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 2 20-05-2003 , 02:46 AM
SM Tea Boy
Very pretty love what they have done with the forum.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 20-05-2003 , 02:51 AM
I KNOW!

That's the kind of look that I originally wanted to do for Sm, but Kevin just wanted a header, so I just went with that...

That is my type of style, so if you like that kind of thing and ever need any more looks for other S3DW sites... lemme knowuser added image hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 4 20-05-2003 , 03:11 AM
SM Tea Boy
Well mate we really need something done with simplylightwave design because its a bit nasty user added image other than that just the S3DW main banner

In a couple of months SM will be up for its re-design again I suppose I hate sites that just sit there and stagnate always the same I like to try and improve them at least once every 4 - 6 months or so user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 20-05-2003 , 03:19 AM
Well, I got 8 days or so left on a current site project, so would you mind if I start concepting after I'm done with that?

I'll ask you at that time which site design you need more urgently.

If ya want me to do this, should we setup a spot on the mods area again for post/critique etc?
...like we did with SM way back when...
Heck, I wouldn't even mind making it a competition again, unless you guys wanna keep it on the "down-low" hehe...

lemme knowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 20-05-2003 , 05:46 PM
Subscriber
Thanx IZ!! Sweet, now if i have comping questions for the movie, i'll post them there.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 7 20-05-2003 , 06:57 PM
No problem m8!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 8 20-05-2003 , 10:31 PM
Thanks rage for the rap user added image

Thanks guys for the kind words user added image

Have to say, i think SM looks nice .... its different to the 5 million other 3d related sites out there ..and thats a good thing...most importantly...you have built a loyal community here...and thats the BEST!

Cheers user added image ,

Paul

VFXTalk.com - Your Digital Compositing Community
# 9 20-05-2003 , 10:49 PM
I would make aforum taht looks that great. But no one would ever join it, to make it big. How did SM get its first hundred members?

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 10 20-05-2003 , 10:54 PM
SM Tea Boy
VFXTALK.com im sure iv seen that forum design somewere else the exact same one?????

It will come to me.

# 11 20-05-2003 , 11:03 PM

Originally posted by David
VFXTALK.com im sure iv seen that forum design somewere else the exact same one?????

It will come to me.

yup...theres a very GOOD chance you have ....why ??? ...because we bought it user added image

From these guys: www.vbskins.com ...then we ripped it apart, modded it quite a bit (graphics and code) and adopted it site wide to get a consistent looking site ...not just forum.

The tutorials section at VFXTalk has been completed coded by hand and had the skin applied to it, it was really cool incorporating it into the actuall vBulletin/forum code user added image

Cheers guys

Paul

BTW there are alos some cool vBulletin skins here: www.vbskinz.com (he's the same dude who does teamphotoshop.com)

# 12 20-05-2003 , 11:36 PM
SM Tea Boy
ahhh i knew id seen it some were looks very nice, congrats on your site very well put together as someone that’s done similar type of sites before I know how much work must have gone into it.

We have no plans for a composting and VFX site in the near future user added image so anything we can do for you just ask.

BTW if you don’t mind me asking where do you get your news?

David

# 13 20-05-2003 , 11:40 PM
i prefer the SM look to be honest, those big yellow buttons on the VFXTalk site just dont do it for me... but maybe I'm just biased! user added image I hope the site does well

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 14 20-05-2003 , 11:44 PM

Originally posted by David
ahhh i knew id seen it some were looks very nice, congrats on your site very well put together as someone that’s done similar type of sites before I know how much work must have gone into it.

We have no plans for a composting and VFX site in the near future user added image so anything we can do for you just ask.

BTW if you don’t mind me asking where do you get your news?

David

Hey david,

Our news comes from all the big sites:

- 3dfestival
- cgchannel
- digitalmediaworld
- insidecg
- vfxpro
and more...

and official press release' from all the major companies, and agents user added image

Its a constant effort to keep the news updated and 'on the edge' and its alos a struggle to filter out some VERY cool, but not so VFX/compositing related stuff user added image

I have written permission from all the sites and they have all been keen to help out and support VFXTalk in just about every way user added image

There some limitations with news though ...im not allowed to 'plagerise' entire articles unless i have been sent official press releases from the source, and, WHEREVER possible, links and names etc MUST be indicated to the source of news ...

Its all pretty stright forward stuff, everyone has been really cool !

Cheers mate user added image

Paul

# 15 21-05-2003 , 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
i prefer the SM look to be honest, those big yellow buttons on the VFXTalk site just dont do it for me... but maybe I'm just biased! user added image I hope the site does well
user added image
Alan

Not looking for opinions on site layout.
Please behave, we have guests in the house. :p

Good site by the way vfxtalk.
Top-notch.