Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-09-2003 , 06:10 PM

Simple Maya Question

Alright. I got a very simple question but I dont seem to find a decent solution...

I'm working with Maya Complete 5.0 and CPS - I'd like to have all my vertices centered at X = 0. I hope you understand, what I mean. For mirroring purposes, all my vertices should be in a straight "line".

In Smax, there´s a feature called "Make Planar" - You just grab the vertices you'd like to make planar, push the button and - tada - it's planar - of course, if you were in an orthographic view as you pushed it.

Unfortunately, I dont find any similiar way to accomplish that in Maya. I tried to select all vertices and adjusted the X values to zero but it doesn't seem to work the way I want. It still has weird rotation aspects applied, etc.

# 2 08-09-2003 , 07:35 PM
if you figure out an easy way to do this llet me know... I usually mirror it, combine the polygons and then I do a merge vertices... If you do this dirrectly over the axis (0) then they will line up with each other on the 0 since it is mirrored. Make any sense? Hopeso. THanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 08-09-2003 , 08:07 PM

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
if you figure out an easy way to do this llet me know... I usually mirror it, combine the polygons and then I do a merge vertices... If you do this dirrectly over the axis (0) then they will line up with each other on the 0 since it is mirrored. Make any sense? Hopeso. THanks,
Brian

Well, I guess you know that you dont have to mirror the geometry, since CPS creates a perfectly symmetric, mirrored clone of it.

There has to be an option to do this - It's possible in Max since version... I dunno, but quite long I guess. It's a very simple process and very, very handy, so I guess it'll also be built into Maya.

You'd still have to merge the vertices, sure, but the geometry would be perfectly aligned and that's a big plus.

# 4 08-09-2003 , 11:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
You can grid or point snap vertices to align with the grid or a point.

Hold X for grid snap, hold V for point snap. Make sure your Move Tool is in World mode. Click and hold on (for example) the X direction (red) move handle and move it. It will then align/snap the line of vertices.

# 5 09-09-2003 , 12:03 PM
thanks mtmckinley I use that all the time I just forgot about it in this case user added image lol
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 6 09-09-2003 , 08:49 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
You can grid or point snap vertices to align with the grid or a point.

Hold X for grid snap, hold V for point snap. Make sure your Move Tool is in World mode. Click and hold on (for example) the X direction (red) move handle and move it. It will then align/snap the line of vertices.

Thanks, but, as far as I can see, that´s not a very good solution.

If I do grid snapping, I'd have to do it for every single vertex seperately, because my vertices in this area are quite mixed up (from extruding, etc.) - So, is there really NO way to a planar command or something like that?

# 7 09-09-2003 , 09:22 PM
The Maya Mountain
You can do all the vertices at once.

# 8 10-09-2003 , 05:53 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
You can do all the vertices at once.

Yes, but then it would not be planar while snapping to the grid. It would adjust the distance, but not making them planar!

# 9 10-09-2003 , 12:22 PM
The Maya Mountain
Dbl click the Move tool and uncheck "Keep spacing" or whatever it's called.

# 10 10-09-2003 , 06:46 PM
That's great, it worked. Thanks!

# 11 10-09-2003 , 07:04 PM
Nice tip MikE!!!!

Please check
My (old) website!
# 12 10-09-2003 , 08:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
Gotta have faith, mah bratha! user added image