Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-07-2003 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber

how do you guys learn maya???

i want to learn character modelling and environmental modelling.

please let me know where to start! so far i learned maya 4.5 fundamental by jim lammers, but i found it not enough. i want to learn more.

please help!

thanks

visit my site :
www.vhylynx.net
# 2 06-07-2003 , 11:33 PM
First download the free SM tutorials and the VIP tutorials. Watch them and learn. Then look around the internet for other tutorials, text or video. Enter the monthly challanges.

The most important thing is to practice. Now, your first model(s) may not be very good, so chuck it in the bin and start again. Keep repeating this and you'll eventually start to get it.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 06-07-2003 at 11:44 PM.
# 3 06-07-2003 , 11:41 PM
I thought Maya 4.5 Fund. was rather well in getting a good grip of the basics

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 4 07-07-2003 , 10:32 AM
also try to use the manuals .. it has a good section with "learning MAya"

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 5 07-07-2003 , 11:13 AM
There is also a doc called "Getting Started". It guides you through 4 projects, from animation to modeling to rendering. It is very well written, good screen dump, and easy to read.

Do alot of tutorials !, and read alot of doc.

The Important Thing is NOT to Stop Questioning.
--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk
# 6 08-07-2003 , 10:55 AM
Subscriber
another great way to learn is simply to answer questions on here. someone asks something - sounds like an easy problem - and you go ahead and answer it. then if you try to create the problem in maya - you notice it is not that simple to do. after warping your mind you will find a solution. as it was not your own problem, but someone elses, you are eager to help him out. then you figured it out you reply to the post.

and as it was not your own problem, you learned something you would have never thought of to do, but might be usefull for a similiar problem you try to create. it adds to your set of tools automatically - and all you did was help others ...

# 7 08-07-2003 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber
i followed the advice to buy SM's VIP tutorial. i learned to model a trex! it was fun...thanks for your replies guys.

too bad the tutorial was unfinished. i am still waiting for part 5.

visit my site :
www.vhylynx.net
# 8 08-07-2003 , 01:37 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Learning Maya

Maya Savvy is a good book to learn cool stuff from. but basically its really down to you to take in as much as you can from the web, other peoples work, tutorials, you know, and above all be patient with it it will take time. Its just getting the experience that will take you to each new level.

# 9 26-07-2003 , 07:32 PM
get resourse from website

# 10 09-08-2003 , 02:47 PM
A really good way to learn is to try to model something insanely complicated. you probably won't get it done looking very good at all, but making it will bring up a ton of questions you'll figure out. by the time you are finished, you will have a much firmer grasp of maya even if your model looks terrible.

# 11 09-08-2003 , 04:02 PM
Babyduck hit the proverbial nail on the head. Aside from the common sense things such as practicing, reading, and just doing as many tuts as you can....comb the boards and try to help others with problems they're having. I've learned quite a bit re-creating scenarios for people.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 10-08-2003 , 07:27 AM
Subscriber
Instead of chucking away your first few awful-looking models, why not keep them all (if you have enough space), and years down the road you'll be able to see how far you've come since being a newbie. I've kept all my bad drawings and paintings since day one and they are a tremendous confidence booster when you compare now and then.user added image

# 13 10-08-2003 , 09:54 PM
I didn't mean chuck them away literally, just start a new model...try again, and again, and again...

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 14 11-08-2003 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
Oops, I must have read it wrong. Well then, we're in the same track.

And I agree with your underwear theory, too. user added image

# 15 17-08-2003 , 03:45 PM
I won all the Gnomon DVD's on an E bay auction. Best money I ever spent....

www.craigcrane.com