Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-07-2003 , 06:57 PM

Split Tool Questions

Hey there,

Got a few questions about the Maya Polygon Split Tool. I´m new to Maya and I´m looking for an equivalent of the Smax "Cut" Tool. As far as I understood, the Split Poly Tool cuts faces from edge to edge, but NOT from corner to corner, so that I get 2 Tris. But, let´s imagine that that´s exactly what I need in my particular case...

What to do? It´s quite strange that I have to cut from edge to edge and then merge the vertices. With Smax, I just cut from corner to corner, tada - Ready to go. Maya´s a little unfamiliar until now, always worked with Smax as you can see, so don´t blame me for such a newbie-ish question! :-)

# 2 11-07-2003 , 07:18 PM
select the face go to polygons > triangulate

and if you want to flip the triangle edge you can select and go to Edit Polygons > flip triangle edge

- TwEeK
# 3 11-07-2003 , 07:51 PM
Thanks a lot! These are the little differences between 3d packages that makes an artists life so much harder.... ;-)

# 4 11-07-2003 , 07:54 PM
When using the Split Poly Tool to do this, you can drag the split points to their respective corners as you're making the split (middle-mouse drag the point).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 11-07-2003 , 07:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
We have free videos going over the Split Polygon Tool and Extrude Face Tool in our freebie vid section.

# 6 11-07-2003 , 08:00 PM

Originally posted by dannyngan
When using the Split Poly Tool to do this, you can drag the split points to their respective corners as you're making the split (middle-mouse drag the point).

Yes, but then I get two vertices on top of each other and would have to merge them - am I right? At least, that´s what I thought.

# 7 11-07-2003 , 08:01 PM
The Maya Mountain
When you drag a split to the corner, you dont have to merge them.