Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-09-2003 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber

SGI/Sony GDM 5411 Monitor

Hi there!

Little question:

Can someone send me a PDF version of the SGI/Sony GDM 5411 monitor manual?

I have bought one via eBay, but as it goes sometimes, it arrived without any manual.

Maybe someone can help me out here...?

Thanks,

Renderizer

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 2 11-09-2003 , 11:58 PM
Subscriber
whats the monitor like btw?

I keep on seeing them up for sale on ebay but im never sure if i want to buy one

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 3 12-09-2003 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
Well...

Mine appears to be a little bit too bright, but someone told me that this can be fixed (yet this seems to be a common fault of this Sony chassis), either by trying to alter the gamma settings of your graphics card, or by letting a service agent reset it with a special software...

Then there are to very thin (barely visible) horizontal lines running accross the screen, but someone (the same someone I mentioned above) pointed out that this seems to be a common phenomenon with Triniton tubes in general, as these wires support the aperature grill inside the tube.

Apart from this it's a pretty good device.

And it's HUGE (21', mind that!). Sits there like a lump of lead. I'm anxiously examining my desk every five mintues if there are any cracks starting to show! user added image

That it's colour is a charcoal-grey is a nice addition.

But that damn SGI logo makes me long for a nice Octane2 or a Tezro...but then, why not a friggin' Onyx 3200? user added image

Anyway: I think for the money (I paid €200, which is more or less the same in US $) it's a really good display. Back in 2000 it was sold for $800-$1000, so I think that it's a good deal.

Go for it!

Renderizer

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!