Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-09-2003 , 04:02 AM
Subscriber

Game Character: Snow Monster

So here is a snow monster i'm working on right now. My poly limit is 3500 tris. Currently he is 2530 tris when triangulated.

There is still some stuff i need to do but would like feedback on how he looks as of now. I haven't started textureing him yet either.

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 10-09-2003 , 07:56 AM
Subscriber
Hello 3Dgurl. You a girl? user added image And who are you working for? Or are you freelancing?

I don't know about the model but it does seem pretty generic RPG type liquid/ice monster. Looks cool - C+C

I think the front too horns seem to protrude too much, looks just that bit funny in profile.

Don't know about the waistband thing - obviously he's not textured but he looks like he has a floatation device around his waist.

The face looks a bit round for someone you'd expect to be kind of angular

okay, the horn shape at the top of the head is annoying me. I don't know if the angle of the face or the horn. Somewhere there is a problem. I think...

Is he going to have arms - I think the stumps don't quite work, maybe a couple of barbs close to the end?

# 3 10-09-2003 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber
I like the torso a lot; you have that torso muscalature thing down nicely, as with your other model.

He does look like he is rising / carved from a snow mound to me (not sure if that is the desired effect), but perhaps increase the width at the bottom of the waist attachment thing so it looks less of a dramatic transition. Are you thinking of putting something like an icicle beard on the bottom of the face? On the basis that things melt it might provide a nice balance with the spikes on the head. I like the crown effect but the ear things look a bit large in comparison. The arms look a tad long.

# 4 10-09-2003 , 05:11 PM
Again good stuff... just watch the polys in the tummy area. The face can have a few less edges as well.

kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 10-09-2003 , 11:06 PM
yeah i agree with kurt about the stomach. I think the abs could be achieved easily with textures, and you'd save lots of polys.

looks good so far user added image

________

- Jacob
# 6 11-09-2003 , 04:07 AM
Subscriber
GreenGiant yes im really female, i work for a startup called TechHand, the game is supposed to have an rpg feel to it.

Witchy you hit it right on the head of the nail. He is supposed to be risen up from the ground. As for the ring around his waist i kept it simple since there will be in-game particle effects to make it look like snow is comming out of his waist as he moves to give the effect his was risen from the snow.

The head spikes have been bugging me for some time i kept running into a problem where i'd get them to look EXACTLY as i wanted and soon as i would go to begin smoothing the normals BAM the geometry of the spikes would go back about 50 steps and become distorted-looking. I am unaware of what exactly caused this to happen but it happened a few times and once i finally got the spikes to smooth without messing up i said **** it and left them alone for later lol.

His stump arms are the base arms, he will have 3 or 4 different "hands" which will serve as his weapons. His arms and torso are a bit long since his starting/idle animation will have his hands in the ground to look like they are in the snow so when he pulls one of them up to attack it will appear as if he is forming things from the snow. He will be hunched over a bit as well so his hands can reach the ground.

the abs as much as i know i could save polys i'm stubbourn about. it never looks right to me even with textures and since our game will not have bump-mapping i much rather have a few polys in the abs. I general tend to save more polys in other areas anyhow. but i will try and workout a better way of doing the abs.

thank you for the comments i will work on the head in general the faceshape and spikes. I hope with textureing i can make him look 10x less generic ;P

# 7 26-09-2003 , 02:33 AM
hey 3dgurl got any memodels to show us?user added image))

www.cgmaya.tk
# 8 26-09-2003 , 03:12 AM
Subscriber
great model so far. did you take your other game model and modified it? just asking as their style is so similiar - and no, i am not calling it lazy, i would call it effective if modifying works faster than redoing. the texturing will make the difference, i am sure. and i can imagine him looking cute and friendly from the distance and as soon as you are in weapon range you change your mind instantly. user added image

Originally posted by 3dgurl
GreenGiant yes im really female, i work for a startup called TechHand, the game is supposed to have an rpg feel to it.

i really do wonder why so many ppl seam to question when somebody in their eyes only pretends to be female. no offence. i really could not care less if you are male or female. but one thing i do care about: keep up the good work user added image

# 9 26-09-2003 , 09:37 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by BabyDuck

i really do wonder why so many ppl seam to question when somebody in their eyes only pretends to be female. no offence. i really could not care less if you are male or female. but one thing i do care about: keep up the good work user added image

none taken =), I'm used to it. I still don't understand why so many people can't fathom the idea of a female involed in a community such as ithis or gaming community. heh

As for progress well he has been put on hold lol. I need to work on other things for the gema demo so for now mr. snow monster is on hold.

Duck i did use part of my previous model to create this one.
The torso and arms. I made a whole new face lower body etc. Anin a game environment recycling model parts is essential time-wise.