Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-11-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber

I can't hear the divx tutorial I just downloaded

Hi,

I just bought 14 more pts to download the Polyhead4 tutorial in a divx version. When I try to watch it, I can't hear a thing, it was all static. All I kept hearing was Mike Mickinley's breathing and panting. Is there something wrong with the tutorial?
And the visuals are in bad quality...looks like it was over compressed.

Please let me know.
Thanks.

# 2 23-11-2003 , 02:02 AM
Weird i have the tut and it playes fine.. i sure kev and dave will check it out for you soon.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 23-11-2003 , 02:39 AM
The Maya Mountain
oh, you must have downloaded the dirty phone sex version by mistake. user added image lol

Wish I could comment, but in this video (and what will probably be most future videos), I delivered the uncompressed 400+ mb original file to Kevin and he did the compression... so I wouldn't know what the problem might be.

# 4 23-11-2003 , 02:52 AM
Subscriber
LOL@mike.

maybe there is a conflict with the DivX verstions ?

# 5 23-11-2003 , 03:22 AM
The Maya Mountain
I just downloaded it and it works ok for me. Not sure, buddy.

# 6 23-11-2003 , 03:36 AM
Subscriber
So weird! I have watched avi movies before without having annoying audio problems. But when I watched this tutorial as well as another SM tutorial...all I hear is a loud static and Mike's breathing and panting.

I tried Zoom player, the audio was perfect, but couldn't see the visuals.

I also tried RealPlayer, the audio was perfect, but it said error, can't find the decompressor, so I couldn't see the visual again.

I also uninstalled the divx application, and installed the updated one, same thing, no change.

The audio actually sounded pretty scary especially at this time of the night when I am the only one home. It sounded like something from a horror movie where you can't see the person, but all you hear is someone breathing on you.
What a waste of 2 pts.
Please let me know the solution. Thanks.

# 7 23-11-2003 , 03:53 AM
The Maya Mountain
dont' know why breathing would be so loud... the actual audio doesn't really have much in the way of loud breathing noises.

# 8 23-11-2003 , 05:44 AM
Subscriber
maybe you could have the zoom going for the audio at the same time as one of the other payers that will do the video part right ? Definly sounds like some wierd codec thing going on your mashine.

Are there other tutorials from hear that play right for ya ?

# 9 23-11-2003 , 11:16 AM
Kevin
I have tried on 3 different machines and all is fine, Ill get dave to look into it (being the codex man ) user added image

# 10 23-11-2003 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
This is a longshot, but try lowering the audio hardware acceleration 1 step. It's usually default set to max which can cause audio stutter and the likes in games.

If you're using windows goto:

1. Settings -> Control panel -> Sounds And Multimedia Properties
2. Click the Audio Tab
3. Under Sound Playback click the Advanced button
4. Goto Performance tab
5. Lower hardware acceleration just 1 step.

If this doesn't sort the problem then revert to original setting.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 11 23-11-2003 , 07:25 PM
This IS a good point.

What platform are you using? (Winos/Macos)? (just wondering)

That WILL make a difference.

Also, that hardware acceleration idea was a great one AF!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 12 23-11-2003 , 09:37 PM
SM Tea Boy
Its just DiVX 5.0.5 video and ABR MP3 audio.

If you have DiVX installed and are still experiencing difficulty I suggest you contact them.

The fact you've watched an avi movie before is largely irrelevant, avi itself a container file, for different audio and video formats. It's not a video format in of itself. It's why you will start to see the more mainstream use of containers like .ogg and .mkv (Matroska) which will still be a video and audio stream but these containers allow soft subtitles multiple audio streams et cetera.

Sorry your having difficulty but 'tis nothing to do with us. Hopefully someone might be able to suggest a reason your having a problem.

My advice would be Format and Re-Install your OS.

Good Luck.
David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 13 23-11-2003 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
Actually, I was gonna contact divx, but when I was going through the faqs, I was reading the part about Video Corrupt or Degraded due to an old version of FFDShow. So I downloaded the newer version.
I still couldn't hear the the audio from the divx player.
But when I used Zoom Player again, both the audio and visuals were fine.
Weird.
Thanks though.