Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 27-11-2003 , 09:48 PM
Hi neo,

here's a tip from a tutorial i found in net ...

>> Maya has built-in automatic nurbs tessellation check located in the render menu. If you want to render your nurbs scene, all you have to do is select all of your nurbs objects, go to the render menu and select set nurbs tessellation, apply this function, then render the scene, it will reduce the gaps automatically. This feature evaluates a set frame (s) and automatically determines the optimum tessellation settings, which results in smoother surfaces without over-tessellation (of course this saves time and memory).

Hope that helps u. Or u can try this one ...

>>. Every time you're finished with fillet & trim, select your trimmed & filleted objects and set/turn on Advanced Tessellation and set number of UV to 20x20 (or higher as per ur requirement)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
# 17 28-11-2003 , 11:15 AM
mayaguy_dr: Thanks, that definately speeds things up!

Heres an updated render, I'm pretty much done modelling and ready for C&C.. the plug i made is more of a cartoonish type, i rarely see those types hangin around my house.. I might redo it to a more detailed and realistic type, but i was feeling somewhat lazy last night. The other thing is I forgot to give it a light switch user added image I'm going to model that to the base of lamp. What kind of switch do you guys think will look best?

Attached Thumbnails

eat the corn--

Last edited by neoarcadia; 28-11-2003 at 09:05 PM.
# 18 28-11-2003 , 10:20 PM
how r u able to get such shading ... i mean lighting etc., Is it Mental ray or GI_Joe ?

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
# 19 29-11-2003 , 01:28 AM
That last render was done in MentalRay using 2 directional lights, 1 set to produce raytraced shadows

eat the corn--
# 20 05-12-2003 , 09:59 AM
Not much of an update, but I've been busy.. I finished off the model. Changed the cabling a little, made a more "realistic" plug, added a power switch, and have done alot of playing around with GI_Joe. Still don't know what im doing.. haha

Attached Thumbnails

eat the corn--
# 21 05-12-2003 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
Looks fantastic. I wouldn't wory about the GIJoe. looked like you had a great thing going with the MentalRay and 2 lights.. that was a sweet render..

# 22 05-12-2003 , 08:46 PM
Yeah, I agree, it looked better. Anyway, now I am working on the texturing.. Not too difficult since everything seems to be pretty flat.. It's not suppose to be ultra-realistic anyway user added image. I was wondering if theres a pretty easy way for me to maybe rig the cable so that its easily movable, instead of either re-creating the cable each time, or moving its CV path curve (there are TONS of CV points on this curve, id rather re-create it haha)..

eat the corn--
# 23 05-12-2003 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
if you still have the original CV curve that is atached to the tube you extruded. ( I'm gessing you went that rought) and you still have the history.. you could have it rebild the curve to lower the CV points on it.. would be one way.. there are also other things. like skeleton setups.. but I haven't done them my self so wouldn't know..

# 24 06-12-2003 , 09:43 PM
Yeah i'm probably just going to set that aside for some other day. Don't really feal like messing with skeletons anymore on this project. If i lower the CV's to an okay amount, the curve looks boxy and doesn't really look like a cable anymore, but it doesnt take long to just make a new cable anyway..

eat the corn--