SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

Home / forum / Your Work / Work In Progress / self portrait wip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Thread

Old 15-11-2004, 05:32 PM   #46
Russell

Default Off Topic: SSS Technique

Pilot! Great job, man! I worship you! Not to steal your thunder, dude, but I have a question... I have downloaded both the bssrdf plug-in and the SubScatter plug-in and I can't get either to work right. On mt bssrdf one, It just doesn't seem to work and with the SubScatter I get basically a black covering over my character. I want badly to use the bssrdf one but not sure it works with mental ray. Would you be willing to give out your secrets? E-mail me at russbo@russelltopia.com. Thanks in advance!

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ickysss.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	18421  
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #47
Jay
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Hey Guys

I have a tinkered with the shader, bssrdf sss, and have got some nice results with it. It took about half hour or so to figure it properly, well to my ability right now. As always not enough documentation with this sort of thing unless you down load the Sigraph paper and study pye and algorythms, mmm? Thought not , same here. Anyway thecatch with the paper is they only use a two colored skin map ie; pinkish skin and ruby red lips ( a bit of contrast) so you can use the default setting straight away. Great!!

But if you want your own results with your own skin maps its a different kettle of fish altogether. Check out the attached setting I used with a map and a bump map to get going. The setting on the scatter length is actually RGB settings. Now I come from a photo printing background and understand what colors make when you add more blue and red you get magenta and Green and blue make cyan and so forth, so I figured how to darken the shader without getting too complicated. Basically think Photoshop RGB kind of thing 0-255 so 0 is black and 255 is white and it be a bit clearer. Anyway I attached a grab and render from what I got in half hour hope it helps you out. Make sure your lights have ray tracing on and Sub surface Scatter in the attribute editor is turned on, ( its next to emit specular check box) Also be warned I have found there are issues with anything that is Alpha Mapped for use on transparent edges as well, Oh and when rendering, be a bit more patient than usual.

Regards to all
_J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	18431  
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 02:04 AM   #48
MainlineX

Hey Pilot...WOW..looking really good dude.

-------------------------------------------
MainlineX is offline   Reply With Quote
New Thread