Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 14-09-2005 , 07:29 PM

Final

Hello

Please download my CrabGuy showcase video which shows the model, wire, rigg, and animation idle test in a 360 turntable. It's a 16MB BinkVideo file.(Windows only)

Spacebar=pause

ESC=exit bink player

user added image

DOWNLOAD VIDEO HERE

Here's a lighter FlashMovie version too:

https://www.rodbrett.com/CrabGuy/CrabGuyFull.swf

I put down animanium for a bit to try and build a Maya 7 rigg for him. I used many of the new tools in version 7. "SpringIK" in particular was especially helpful in rigging the legs.

There are 4 multiply/divide nodes driving 2 joint's "autotwist" of the biceps. This is why I have 2 extra edgeloops between the shoulder and elbow(the whole model is still only around 3400 tris).

Click here to see "bicep" twist in action.

user added image

Thanks for looking. I'll be working on a walk cycle next. If you have Maya 7 installed, feel free to download the entire project folder with model/textures/and rigg right here:

CRAB GUY COMPLETE

Here's a pic of the final Wire and Rigg:
user added image

Unzip to Maya 7.0 folder and set the project to "Crab Dude" before opening the scene file to get the textures to load up. Make sure you enable "SpringIK" solver in your plugins preferences before opening or you'll get errors.

Always looking for feedback!

Thank you. I appreciate it.

-Rodney

# 17 14-09-2005 , 07:46 PM
Hey pod. Nicely done!

The video is super cool. Seeing the Crab Guy move is a real treat!

Dave