Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-12-2006 , 01:23 PM
The Maya Mountain

Jan/Feb 2007 Challenge!

Let's go ahead and let this challenge have an early start, due to the holidays. user added image Plus, since people are suggesting exactly what I was thinking to do, it sounds like we're all on the same page!

Creature/Character Statue!

Everyone can create a creature/character that they'd like to see made into their own little statue or figurine! It can be a character bust, it can be a full character model, whatever. It can be completely organic or it can be mechanical (a robot for example). The winning entry will have their model submitted to www.3darttopart.com to be made into the final figurine!

Some guidelines:

1) This is a modeling-only challenge! The statues that are created won't be painted or colored, so any texture information you have on the model won't be included in the final process.

2) MUST be polygons! The final process only works on polygonal models! However, there is no polygon limit, so you can smooth to your heart's content!

3) See https://www.3darttopart.com/modeling%20info.php for further information about how the models you create should be constructed.

4) For the purposes of this challenge, make your final result in one single statue, as opposed to multiple pieces.

5) The deadline is March 1st, 2007, approximately 7am Pacific time. Try to have it in before to make sure! A FINAL entries thread will be created toward the end of the challenge.

6) It must not be a copy-righted character! The fairy I did (see below) couldn't be too similar to Tinkerbell or else I couldn't have it done!

Because of the open-endedness of this theme, and because I'm the only judge (since I'm providing the prize as opposed to this site) I'll post a poll at the end of the challenge to allow people to vote for the finished entry they like the best and I'll factor that choice into my judgement. Note that the one that people all vote for may not be the one that wins!

It should be noted that 3Darttopart.com is not sponsoring this challenge at all. The winner will simply provide me an .obj file of their entry and I'll submit it to the site as if a normal customer. If the winner is located in a country that 3darttopart won't ship to, I'll ship the final item to myself and then mail it on to the winner.

To see an example that I did (and where the idea for this challenge prize came from) check out this thread: https://www.forum.simplymaya.com/show...threadid=24311 where I had a neat little figurine made for my fiancé as a birthday present!

If you have any questions, ask them here. Keep a look out for any addendums or additions to the guidelines as issues are brought up and answered.

# 2 21-12-2006 , 01:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
If anyone has any suggestions for a theme for this upcoming challenge, feel free to say so here. user added image

# 3 21-12-2006 , 02:14 PM
What about a demon dimension, or any other type of dimension. Either fantasy or sci-fi based.

# 4 21-12-2006 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
What an excellent idea for a prize, nice one Mike!

# 5 21-12-2006 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber
I definitley think a sculpture of a character we create would be awesome.

So I think:

Character Design in a Given Genre.

# 6 21-12-2006 , 02:54 PM
Yeh i guess it would be hard to do a dimension then have it sculpted.

Maybe a H*ll creature.

# 7 21-12-2006 , 02:54 PM
Subscriber

Re: Jan/Feb 2007 Challenge! (preview)

Originally posted by mtmckinley

The winner of the next challenge will have their winning entry created into a REAL sculpture!

that is a cool prize man, but I`m also seeing a character comp here, maybe a bust instead of a full figure, so we can put more work on the details

Comp titles could be:
1) faces of fear,
2) Hero`s heads,

eg: The work done by "the four Horsemen" for Masters of the Universe,

https://www.theempire.com.au/images/2...sin%20Bust.jpg

I think that would work well as a challenage and as a prize.

If full body comp maybe design a superhero/villan type thing would be cool.

but I`m up for anything.:attn:

Nice to see the 2 month time limit back aswell as the last one was alittle short (just alittle)

Just dont forget to get the word around about this comp...:p

Last edited by tweetytunes; 21-12-2006 at 02:59 PM.
# 8 21-12-2006 , 03:01 PM

sounds good

be good to have a sculpture of a model sitting there wacthing u,
maybe it could be fantasy u, i mean like the face or head of the modeler and the rest can be anything ,superhero, demonic,alien.

# 9 21-12-2006 , 03:09 PM
The Maya Mountain
the idea for this prize came from my gift for my fiancé that you can see here:

https://www.forum.simplymaya.com/show...threadid=24311

So, expect the final result to be unpainted and made of this same material. Although there's nothing to stop you from attempting t paint it yourself, of course. user added image

# 10 21-12-2006 , 03:10 PM
Nice idea for a prize Mike.

Seeing as the prize is a sculpture of your work, it might be good to keep the challenge fairly open ended.

# 11 21-12-2006 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
so this would be a modeling only comp then i take it - that sounds cool.

i still stick to the bust idea.

mike is there any other factors to be added for modelering for statues (eg quads/tri, poloy counts, nurbs/poly) or can any model be made.

(intrest not just for comp)

# 12 21-12-2006 , 05:25 PM
Senior Software Developer
For this type of prize I think organics would be the best subject. I know we have covered it 100 times, but to have that created into your own statue. Amazing.

gr8 prize Mike...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 13 21-12-2006 , 08:38 PM
Acid44
i like that demon idea like Hellgate London or Diablo 2 style (not copied though)

nice prize idea i like ituser added image

Last edited by Acid44; 21-12-2006 at 08:41 PM.
# 14 22-12-2006 , 04:06 AM
For this type of challenge, I would say to keep it very open ended, I.e both organic and non-organic (attracts more peeps etc) drawing insperation form anywhere.

Great Idea for a prize I'll defiantly be checking this out.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 22-12-2006 , 06:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
Sounds like we're all in agreement! Let's get this party started early! user added image