Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 08-04-2007 , 09:30 PM
I would love to help out, unfortunatly I only have the student version of maya so I cant use it for anything commercial.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 08-04-2007 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NeoStrider
the difference in texture between the main vase body and the rest might be noticeable. just a slight might... meaning quite noticeable.

Not if they light it properly it won't, besides he is only looking for the model and texture.The reason you see imperfections is from the raytracing in maya software. I did not take time to light it properly because the lighting will be done by them.I just want to know if the vase itself is what he is looking for.Thanks for the advice though.

# 18 09-04-2007 , 06:21 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by banksta
Not if they light it properly it won't, besides he is only looking for the model and texture.The reason you see imperfections is from the raytracing in maya software. I did not take time to light it properly because the lighting will be done by them.I just want to know if the vase itself is what he is looking for.Thanks for the advice though.

hey banksta. . .welcome aboard. sorry for not replying sooner. today was a bit hectic. had to finish two shows for uplink and tape a studio segment for another show, plus edit the packages for this show we are working on now.

on to your model. that is most likely a great start. add some details to that vase and lemme take a look at that. you are correct about the lighting. do not worry so much about that. the texture you can do also, but lets get the model down first.

neo. . .if you would like to start on the hand cart, that would be great. make the handles 24" on center, and the height of the cart should be no more then 36" to the handles. the talent is only 5'2" and she will wind up pushing the cart into the other talent. the wheels do have to animate and give the cart itself some decent detail. low poly wont work with this object.

and neo. . .there will be some of that Waynes World "for no reason" in the show.

# 19 09-04-2007 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Anm8or
hey banksta. . .welcome aboard. sorry for not replying sooner. today was a bit hectic. had to finish two shows for uplink and tape a studio segment for another show, plus edit the packages for this show we are working on now.

on to your model. that is most likely a great start. add some details to that vase and lemme take a look at that. you are correct about the lighting. do not worry so much about that. the texture you can do also, but lets get the model down first.

neo. . .if you would like to start on the hand cart, that would be great. make the handles 24" on center, and the height of the cart should be no more then 36" to the handles. the talent is only 5'2" and she will wind up pushing the cart into the other talent. the wheels do have to animate and give the cart itself some decent detail. low poly wont work with this object.

and neo. . .there will be some of that Waynes World "for no reason" in the show.

Anm8or do you have a reference photo of exactly what your looking for as far as the style of the vase? If you do send it to george.banks6419@sbcglobal.net and I will work on it. also send the exact measurements of the vase if possible.

# 20 09-04-2007 , 08:26 AM
Subscriber
Gster123 just mentioned something I didn't think about. Anm8or I have a fully licensed version of Maya 8.5,but it is the student edition. I know this is non-paid but I'm not sure of the restrictions. I will have to find out if I can still model the vase using that version before I complete any work for you. Sorry I never thought about that.But I do want to work on it for you For my portfolio.

# 21 09-04-2007 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NeoStrider
the difference in texture between the main vase body and the rest might be noticeable. just a slight might... meaning quite noticeable.

this is the vase without ray tracing. you can see the texture are nice and even. The lighting and rendering which they would be doing would determine how it looks after.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 09-04-2007 , 09:58 AM
oh raytraced reflection from the plane gotcha... thought it was a difference in color in the texture

edit: i guess i was thinking more along the lines of the vases you can see at the end of the movie rush hour. they're pretty ornate (and also part of the fight scene hehe) and if i can remember correctly, they had handles towards the top of the convex portion of the vase.

Accept no substitutions.

Last edited by NeoStrider; 09-04-2007 at 10:35 AM.
# 23 09-04-2007 , 10:38 AM
here's a half hour's worth of work. not pretty, but it's a process.

user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 24 09-04-2007 , 03:16 PM

Originally posted by banksta
Gster123 just mentioned something I didn't think about. Anm8or I have a fully licensed version of Maya 8.5,but it is the student edition. I know this is non-paid but I'm not sure of the restrictions. I will have to find out if I can still model the vase using that version before I complete any work for you. Sorry I never thought about that.But I do want to work on it for you For my portfolio.

I would really check up on it as it says that the student version can only be used for educational purposes and for portfolio building, I think theres a part of the T&C's that says you can use it for film festival stuff but theres limits for the catagories that you can enter. If this project is being broardcast then it might be considered as a commercial application (even though your not getting pard for it)

Good luck.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 25 10-04-2007 , 04:32 AM
Subscriber
banksta. . .the size of the vase isnt all that important. you can determine that. also reference would have to come from you. there is no set style for any of the props. the shot won't be that long, so again it is up to you.

neo. . .great start. keep it goin. one thing i do need to say, is dont have so much distance between the handles and the basket portion. also, it would be cool to have slatted sides so that we can see thru the sides themselves. not a big thing if you put a lot of work into the sides. just a suggestion. keep me updated as much as you can.

i really do not know what to tell you guys about the student version. i do not know if i can open a mb file from you or not. can anyone confirm this? i also am not aware of the licensing issues. i will check with our licensing person tomorrow what we are responsible for.

# 26 10-04-2007 , 07:03 AM
update:

user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 27 10-04-2007 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber
nice job neo. . .keep it up.

anyone else with any updates? i will be around the forum a bit more this weekend. get to work at home on this!!!!

should have a couple things to show to you guys.

# 28 11-04-2007 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber

changed the vase

I saw a gold oriental vase I like so I changed the vase style a little and the texture.

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 12-04-2007 , 06:12 AM
i wish i could have taken pictures of it, but my ex-boss has an actual antique vase from china in the basement of his house. it's at least 4 feet tall, and is ornate as all ****. actually, lemme message him about it, i know for the current week he'll be in panama (he's a huge fan of the MMA, and is a trainer/ring advisor for chris brennan... and a good friend of butterbean) for about 5 days or so, but if i can get good pics you really should consider this vase as a template. it's awesome.

Accept no substitutions.
# 30 12-04-2007 , 11:37 AM
Subscriber
you can add some style to that banksta. . .its lookin a lil . . .pudgy.

some good news. . .we are going to move the shoot date up to this week. so will get to see some comps to see how your stuff is workin in the sequences. so if you are doin stuff for the video, and you are having any questions or problems please let me know. i will do my best to give good direction.