Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-07-2007 , 08:29 AM

im 100% new to this

hey everyone

i know that i shouldn't be tempting this without going on some form of basic course, and i have asked connexions (uk) about any courses that are available to teach me 3D graphics and animation, Well there is one college (kidderminster) that i might actually try and get a placement for in the coming weeks, depends on transport and money wise etc

i do not officially own maya as my own original copy, but a good friend of mine is loaning me his copy (we are sharing it etc) but the only downside is, he said as it cost alot of money to buy it, he won't help me learn it, and if i truely wish to want to learn it, i would need to do so by doing my own research/online tutorials etc etc, as a way of payment for him allowing me to use it, (to which is actually a very fair thing to do.....concidering the price.....*gulp*)

i know there is a free maya i can use on the official website, but i dunno if its a 30 day trial thing, or what kind of options it doesn't allow me to use, i'd much rather use that and not get my friend into trouble for lending me his licence, so if you could also tell me if the free maya version is worth getting? or should i stick with my friends copy? :S

anyway,

i was wondering if anyone could help me in learning Maya 8 im a complete newb to this, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of training courses i could go on, or ways for me to learn maya 8, whats best for me to start on? (i've watched alot of previous tutorials about layout/tools and options and stuff, and i've been playing around with shapes and stuff in maya, but im completely stumped on what to do with anything lol

like i say, i do really want to take it on as a career and i hope this can be my first stepping stone to be able to learn this artform, i hope you guys can help me out as much as possible with any and all free newb tutorials as you can please.

i know there are free tutorials on the mainpage of this website, but i have no clue which to download etc etc

Sirchipmunk

# 2 05-07-2007 , 02:14 PM
Glad you joined SM sirchipmunk! Welcome to the world of Maya. I've been learning Maya for 4 months and it's been lot's of fun. It's a really great piece of software.

The free version "Maya PLE" is an unlimited free trial. Meaning you can use it forever, not just 30 days like most programs. There are a few limitations such as it doesn't have ncloth or fur. Also if you model something in Maya PLE you can't open it on your friends version. However you can open your friends Maya files with the PLE (minus the ncloth, fur and fluids). If your okay with a watermark being on your renders, PLE is very useful for learning the software.

The software, including the PLE version, has some built in tutorials and help files (F1). I recommend starting out going through the basics. Then once you get familiar with basic things, download some of the free tuts here such as the Cartoon Dog and the basic Human modeling tutorial. You can also buy books on learning Maya too.

Do a google search on "Maya PLE" and then look for a listing with an Autodesk web address.

Good luck! Oh yeah, there's alot of people at SM to help you through your journey. Looking forward to seeing you grow as a 3d artist.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 05-07-2007 , 06:02 PM
Hey Man, welcome.

I would generally recomend what perfrcto said, hit f1 and have a look at the tutorials, Maya also has some built in videos that goes over the interface, and how to move around etc etc.

I would also see if you can get one of the basic maya books form a library (the Intoducing maya books pretty good) and then grab some of the free tutorials form here, and take it nice and slowly, dont rush it.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 05-07-2007 , 08:58 PM
hey

thank you for the replys

Could you possibly name some of the books i should purchase? theres one on Amazon.co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-...3989321&sr=8-2

but im using maya 8.5 does it make any difference it being 8 to 8.5?

if it doesn't i'll deffo buy that book as well as the other one i found
learning Maya 8: foundations

what other books would you recommend?

again thanks for the posts, and i hope i'll start to build a 3D model soon, well as soon as i get the books of course user added image

*edit* i just read at the bottom of the 3D for beginners that a free Maya Personal Learning Edition software is included user added image

# 5 05-07-2007 , 09:14 PM
I dont think that theres much of a difference between 8 and 8.5 (othe than ncloth but I doubt that you will be using that straigiht off the bat and if your using the PLE you wont have it anyway)

The software that they give you is the Personal Learning edition that Perfecto mentioned, you can download it from autodesks site) I used it for about 6 months untill I got my copy.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 05-07-2007 , 09:56 PM
I started with the PLE but very quickly bought the student edition of 8.5 Unlimited for a little over $350. There's no difference between the student edition and the full edition except that I'm not authorized to use it for commercial purposes.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!