Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 29-03-2008 , 12:37 AM

Originally posted by gubar
Nice breakdown was interesting to read, nice models too. I missed the show but think I'll download it.

Its only the third mate!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 32 29-03-2008 , 12:41 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL yeah its only the 3rd of April not 6th (starts this Sunday)

Poly wise its mainly quads, I had a few nightmares where models were coming to me with 9 sided polys+(someone needed shooting). Some we had to let go thru as (time contraints) but renderman turns them into quads on rendering thru the smoothing algorythm, but its not ideal really as it puts more work on the renderer...

_J

# 33 29-03-2008 , 01:03 AM
Ok cheers, I try and keep to quads but have the odd triangle in hard to see areas. Just wondered what you thought.

As for the date... I could have sworn it was on the other night, must be getting confused.

cheers

gubar

# 34 29-03-2008 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber
nice models man :bow: , it makes you wonder what kind of people they had working in manchester divsion, i mean my god man 9 side poly's, what were they thinking, it sounds like they employed a bunch of noobs over at manchester to cut costs it's a good thing they had you to fix things

# 35 01-04-2008 , 03:05 AM
Damn I hated it...it made me cringe

and I didnt even get a credit!

oh well, back to the norm

Jay

# 36 01-04-2008 , 06:37 AM
Senior Software Developer
I thought it was quite fuuny Jay. The animation was quite fluid (I take it, it was not motion captured? If it was I take it back :p) The Charactures were very funny. I loved that fact that VB was made to look like an anorexic zombie with a bad attitude. Harry and Wills wer also good.

A Very Political show, but very much tamer than I remember Spitting Image to be... Maybe it has hard hitting for the 80's.

Anyway sad to see you didnt get a credit, but the models all looked good and renderman did its job well.

Good Work mate well done. Get you CV off to Pixar now user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 37 01-04-2008 , 01:37 PM
Hey R@nSiD

Cool glad you enjoyed it. It was definately very Political. I think thats why I didnt enjoy it.

A couple of sketches did make me belly laugh but again it was the political stuff...urghh!

Hopefully its better next week

Jay

# 38 06-04-2008 , 10:55 AM
Another spread in the Sun I see Jay!! Nice one.

Got to say the Sly Stalone Model looks pretty dam cool!!

# 39 06-04-2008 , 03:20 PM
Hey Steve,

is that todays Sun? I have it and its not in there...user added image

Stallone was the first character I did as a test for the job...

Perhaps another paper? if you could get an image and post it I'd appreciate that...

cheers
Jay

# 40 08-04-2008 , 07:29 AM
Hi Jay, Sorry for the late reply.

It was in either the Sun or the Star on Saturday, I was reading it in a cafe when my car was getting repaired, otherwise I would scan it in and post it up, the main pic was of posh, it also had Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis and Sly.

# 41 08-04-2008 , 07:41 AM
No probs Steve,

did you see the show last night? I really didnt laugh, I gave it another go at lunchtime today and still didnt laugh.

Still a good experience on the team and nice seeing my models animated...

cheers
Jay

# 42 08-04-2008 , 07:59 AM
Ive seen a bit of it on youtube, tbh I watched the first one and wasnt really struck, the models and the animations really good, but the main let down for me are the voices.

heres a link for anyone whos not seen it (hope its ok to post the link)

https://www.youtube.com/results?searc...s&search_type=

Some peeps might find some bits a tad offensive, just in case...

Last edited by gster123; 08-04-2008 at 08:02 AM.
# 43 08-04-2008 , 08:54 AM

# 44 08-04-2008 , 09:04 AM
To be honest, I declined.

I hate all that fuss crap. I dont mind watching the 'making ofs' on dvds etc but I didnt wanna be in one. I was only in the room next to Mark Reeve the character designer, and he kept saying to do it because he was doing the concept while I was modeling. The camera guy was pissed off cos I declined. Stiil most of the models shown were again the ones I did. You can see the Amy Winehouse prints on Marks desk too ( I did those as well) Also the rest of the studio in London declined apart from Steve Corren the VFX supervisor, they shot the other stuff at ITV and manchester

Im there in spirit like Obi Wan lol

cheers
jay

# 45 18-04-2008 , 06:58 PM

Yeah about time!!

Hey Guys

I found out yesterday that I will actually get a credit this week!! Its all down to ITVs air time so they are getting thru the crew slowly but surely. Seems a bit tight to me as it will look like I worked on one show only....anyway look out for Jason Edwards on the 4th 'credits card'

cheers
Jay