Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 01-06-2008 , 07:16 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Gubar

nice job dude, Im really liking this. The Curtiss 'Kittyhawk' is one of my favourite aircraft alongside the P51 Mustang.

Look forward to the rest

Jay

# 17 02-06-2008 , 08:22 AM
Thanks for the comments guys,

it is a nice plane jay, the exhaust and nose detail make it more interesting to look at than most.

I've started to texture - I would have liked to work more on the model but I just need to get a decent selection done for my hand in in July (though neostrider, your comments about the rivets have given me the idea to add the panel seam with a bump, but actually place duplicated rivets around the plane, will add some nice detail and stand out better than a map - cheers).

Main thing I notice is that I need to alter where the wing meets the body - should sweep up more, bit to right-angled just now.

cheers again,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 02-06-2008 , 08:23 AM
Also meant to add - I'm going to block in a very basic interior (quick one hour job) so that the windows can actually be transparent.

cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 02-06-2008 , 08:46 AM
Gubar

Cool, looks like you are of to a good start on the texture. try to give it a variation though from left to right a at the moment its the same on either side.

good stuff though

Jay

# 20 02-06-2008 , 11:17 AM
Hi jay,

yeah just duplicated the halfs over at the moment,

tried with seperates but was proving problematic, since the stripes have to cross over the uv borders... with smooth uvs on, you get pinching at the border crossover, without smooth uvs, the rest doesn't look as good (gets distorted)... any suggestions on this?

cheers

gubar

# 21 07-06-2008 , 03:16 PM
Just an update, working on the textures and materials, and lighting. Lit this with an hdri dome, one directional light (main, 1.0 intensity, raytrace shadows) and one ambient (fill, 0.2 intensity).

Render setting are still low since it's a wip.

Crits and comments welcome.

cheers

gubar

# 22 07-06-2008 , 03:19 PM
You could paint the texture in Zbrush then add decals later in photoshop.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 23 07-06-2008 , 03:20 PM
forgot the image:

Attached Images
# 24 07-06-2008 , 03:58 PM
Did you try the linear options in the smooth setting. I wouldn't always rely on smooth to help the uvs, you cant beat a good set of hand tweaked uvs

Also with the textures you could do as Steve said and Zb them or use Mayas Texture tool, in the rendering menu, I use it from time to time or even zb to make sure Im going in the right direction.

cheers
Jay

# 25 07-06-2008 , 08:19 PM
Cheers for the suggestions guys, still barely scratched the surface of zbrush so wouldn't really want to start with that for this. Managed to sort out the seams with some tweaking of uvs and more carefull painting in photoshop though.

Here's a render from a different angle and tweaked the diffuse so it's a little less dull.

The main problem I see at the moment is that it's too reflective (clearly reflecting the sky dome too much), though to more experienced eyes there will be more faults I'm sure - crits and comments welcome on improvement (though I know at the moment that the settings need tweaked - more looking for advice re lighting/material)

cheers

gubar

# 26 07-06-2008 , 08:21 PM
Forgot the image again:

# 27 07-06-2008 , 08:23 PM

Attached Thumbnails