Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 18-07-2008 , 08:55 AM
Well, I use 2008 and have the option Harden Edges / Soften Edges under the Menu Normals. And in the Smooth option box, I also have the check-box - Preserve Hard Edges. I was referring to this.

I get varied results with this option - the smooth option does not function fully even when I select few edges and harden them.

Rgds,

GP

# 17 18-07-2008 , 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Unless you need to reverse the normals I can't see why you would be messing with them in this case, because you're planning on smoothing. When you said harden, I thought you meant adding tighter rows of edges (thats what gives you sharper corners when you smooth), normals didn't even cross my mind.

- Genny
# 18 18-07-2008 , 09:26 AM
19 year Veteran
Ah, I see now. I use Maya 6.5 so I don't have that option in the edit poly's menu in the Normals attributes. I guess the best thing to do is to experiment. Thats how you gain more experience.