Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-08-2008 , 05:43 PM

Side view being crazy

Hey again. Didn't want to make a whole new thread for every problem I come across so I'm editing this one.
On this file I'm working in, the side view in four panel mode is vanishing. I tried to select all and pushed F to zoom in on the content, but then it flies in super close so I can't even see the grid, then I pushed A to zoom out to see all of it, but it then flies out so that nothing is visible. If I toggle A and F rapidly I get a trippy lurch effect (cool, and lame at the same time).

I opened a new file and the side view is fine, so can someone tell me how I can fix the side view? It's either so close or so far.

'Sup Jono.

Last edited by Rollie; 12-08-2008 at 01:32 AM.
# 2 11-08-2008 , 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
You can change/make your own panel layouts (you can check out the Panel Editor).

user added image

You can open the UV Editor in a panel.

user added image

You can open the UV Editor in its own window.

user added image

- Genny
# 3 11-08-2008 , 06:54 PM
Thank you for the tip but that's not the problem. The top line of panels is torn off. Here's a screenshot with a seemingly related warning in the output:

user added image

I think it's just genuinely broken? The output panel reads:
"// Warning: Panel size cannot accommodate all requested Heads Up Display elements. //"

How to fix?

'Sup Jono.
# 4 11-08-2008 , 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Thats weird, if you had torn it off then it would be grayed out in the list of panels you can open. Also the "Warning: Panel size cannot accommodate all requested Heads Up Display elements" is just to tell you that the panel is resized to be too narrow to show your heads up display items, it has nothing to do with that problem. Attach the UV Editor back to main Maya window/close any instance of it and try again. If not, maybe your prefs are screwed.

- Genny
# 5 11-08-2008 , 08:12 PM

Originally posted by GecT
Thats weird, if you had torn it off then it would be grayed out in the list of panels you can open. Also the "Warning: Panel size cannot accommodate all requested Heads Up Display elements" is just to tell you that the panel is resized to be too narrow to show your heads up display items, it has nothing to do with that problem. Attach the UV Editor back to main Maya window/close any instance of it and try again. If not, maybe your prefs are screwed.

Wow dude thanks for the tip. I had tried all that and explored the prefs earlier but that prompted me to look at them again. All I had to do was click "Restore to defaults" and they all came back. Funny though, I hadn't touched the prefs before this. Must have been some mysterious keyboard shortcut I hit (hate changing to programs with different hotkeys), like the good ol' hold down space and right click then drag, thinking it's photoshop >: (

'Sup Jono.