Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-10-2008 , 05:22 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

British stereotypes

Now I dont mind stereotypes, in fact, i quite like the idea of being posh
but some stereotypes are completely unfounded

For one, the whole bad teeth thing, looking online it seems some Americans think as low as 1% of British people have seen an orthodontist and that less than 1/8th of British people regally go to the dentist. Ok, we dont go for cosmetic teeth surgery as much but personally I have never had a filling are any kind of work (although to be honest my teeth are slightly wonky)

The whole queuing thing......well thats quite true, compared to some countries we are much better queuers and to be honest we do seem to look for any excuse to queue (for example, with the whole northern rock crises, what do we do, QUEUE!)

But you wont say were posh once you have been in the middle of Bradford

And with regards to medical treatment some people seem to think we dont even have anesthetics! (as one american i found said "WOW! You have those?")

I have actually been asked if i know the queen by Americans (ones that are most defiantly NOT joking)

With regards to the tea drinking thing, well thats mostly true....

also, regarding accents on completely serious Tv shows or movies of actors playing British people are ridiculous, if your british and own a TV you will know what i mean

And while Im on the subject, I go to school in Yorkshire, was born in Yorkshire but live on the border between West Yorkshire and Lancashire and the stereotypes Yorkshire holds are ridiculous. They seem to think Lancashire is in the dark ages, when it is pretty the other way around.....

Now Let the flaming of one begin :p

# 2 19-10-2008 , 05:27 PM
Haha! Yeah its pretty funny some stereotypes!

Gonna get my flat cap on and take my whippet for a walk down the cobbled streets we have up here in Manchester

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 19-10-2008 , 05:29 PM
lol, there is some truth to all stereotypes.
British teeth are wonkey due to the mixing between the saxons and normans and their difference between the skull structures (one has small teeth and small jaw, the other big teeth big jaw, the result small jaw big teeth!!).

Lol but yes its peculior when you meet people who consider stereotypes as fact.

# 4 19-10-2008 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
us americans love to stereotype, don't take it too seriously, usually the ones stereotyping are doing it because of their own flaws.

I enjoy tea and I'm american

Have you ever been on say a video game where you talk on a headset and have an american say "Hey why don't you learn american?" I've heard it before between a English guy and an American arguing.

Without stereotypes though who would inform people that asians are good at math, mexicans are sleepy, african americans love fried chicken and watermelon, and americans are fat lazy (or anorexic and full of plastic surgery) and like to stereotype.

# 5 19-10-2008 , 05:35 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Ive dug up more on teeth, here are some quotes (some are from British people, dont assume there all US)
(i am not expressing any opinions on these quotes)

"The sterotype of bad teeth in england comes from the pre 1950's when the water in england contained something (i forget what) that rotted away at teeth. When science became more advanced and aware of this they removed said ingredient in the water and since then english teeth are just plain fine."

the bad teeth thing comes from americans thinking "good" teeth have to be blindingly white thanks to bleach and veneers. good / healthy teeth are being confused with fake bleached "hollywood" teeth.

Jordan, you already know I love England, and not just London, but... heh..I was on the "other" tube, the underground one, a few years back, and I couldn't help but start to chuckle, the group of Brits sitting across from me had god awful teeth... heh. Sorry. Anyway, I know people are people.

and other topics (all quotes)

People say to me "oh your from London", nope I rarely go..London had the biggest mixture of ethnicities in GB anyways and its true not everyone is posh! People also seem to think the men in London wear bowler hats and suits , what?!?!

I like a full English with bubble and squeek, and you can't beat a good pasty. In London there's two pubs on every block and they are all full ever night. London rocks, the best city I've ever been to. I think the bad teeth thing is a steriotype from before national healthcare. Millwall fans are English and by far the worst football hooligans in the world. Please start blowing your nose instead of swallowing your snot.

(referring to an american) We stereotype you as ignorant and overweight. The overweight thing has slowly become truth though.
I think the ignorance thing is to do with the general lack of knowledge some Americans have on countries outside there own.
The amount of times i've been mistaken as an Australian by your American people is laughable.
But i realise the ignorance thing isn't totally true... as you've got a few clever peopleuser added image

Do you guys play any baseball in the UK? I've never heard of it being played over there, or in most of Europe for that matter. Maybe baseball is frowned upon because cricket is the traditional stick and ball game? Most people play the baseball in the US growing up. It was always fun to just have a catch. Don't think I've ever seen a brit w/ a baseball mitt though. (I hate this quote because BASEBALL WAS INVENTED BY THE BRITISH!)

baseballs a birds game over ere and its called rounders. basketball is a birds game called netball. american football is like rugby but we fink american football is for women and gays as the amount of paddin they wear!!
(obviously from an ignorant chav)

A discussion (dont get me started on this one)
Ok first off your teeth is yellowish. Find a dentist real quick. If one exist on ur town! Tea & Crumpets? What's a crumpet? Crappy cookies? BTW Kate Beckinsale once said poppy cock on a late night show! I haven't seen England myself. How far r u from England? You should try to b more stereotypical just for fun of it lol!!!
FunnyPranks (2 years ago) Reply
Research crumpets their nothing like cookies.
Danniifer (2 years ago) 0 Reply | Spam
Ok first off your comment was laughable. Find a brain real quick if one exist(s) in* your town! I'll disregard the comment about crumpets because well sure, not everyone will know what they are. Oh, Kate Beckinsdale (don't care to check the spelling of her name, this is how little she means to anything) once said poppy cock on a late night show,

and the last one

Most importantly, don't mix up England and Britain.
whales and scotland aren't posh (dont complain at this, i part welsh and proud)

# 6 19-10-2008 , 05:39 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
us americans love to stereotype, don't take it too seriously, usually the ones stereotyping are doing it because of their own flaws.

I enjoy tea and I'm american

Have you ever been on say a video game where you talk on a headset and have an american say "Hey why don't you learn american?" I've heard it before between a English guy and an American arguing.

Without stereotypes though who would inform people that asians are good at math, mexicans are sleepy, african americans love fried chicken and watermelon, and americans are fat lazy (or anorexic and full of plastic surgery) and like to stereotype.

Dont get me started on the whole, Speak english properly you stuck up Brit, FOR GOD SAKE ITS ARE LANGUAGE, IT is ergo what we make it (dictionary makers sont make up new words or change the language!), so if you think Jelly is Jam......

Im gonna stop there before i burst a blood vessel

UPDATE: while its not true of all Americans, more do seem to take stereotypes as fact more than others, but after all, from what we know of stereotypes americans are idiots anyway :p

..and all asians are terrorists

and im from lancashire so are therefore in the dark ages and have an IQ under 60

Last edited by elephantinc; 19-10-2008 at 05:42 PM.
# 7 19-10-2008 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by elephantinc
Dont get me started on the whole, Speak english properly you stuck up Brit, FOR GOD SAKE ITS ARE LANGUAGE, IT is ergo what we make it (dictionary makers sont make up new words or change the language!), so if you think Jelly is Jam......

Just so you know I wasn't bashing you at all, it's just some stupid crap I heard while playing a game, it did make me laugh a little bit because the american was speaking ebonics telling an english guy that his american sucks.

UPDATE: while its not true of all Americans, more do seem to take stereotypes as fact more than others, but after all, from what we know of stereotypes americans are idiots anyway :p

You will never see me argue with the fact that americans (not all but a huge majority) are idiots, haha

Asians aren't the one's we're calling terrorists over here anymore it's Arabs and the Taliban and Iraq and so on.... but us American's don't really know whats going on, the news jerks us all over the place and we hate different countries and a different class of people every day depending on what the news tells us to hate, which is why I stay away from the news.

and im from lancashire so are therefore in the dark ages and have an IQ under 60 [/B]

I live in Plattsburgh, NY which is about 30 minutes from the border of Canada, I'm apparently either Canadian, Redneck, or from "THE CITY" a.k.a. New York City, if I don't explain to a person where Plattsburgh is.

# 8 19-10-2008 , 06:01 PM

Originally posted by elephantinc
FOR GOD SAKE ITS ARE LANGUAGE

That made me laugh, Are? Is there an accent in your typing there?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 19-10-2008 , 06:12 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by gster123
That made me laugh, Are? Is there an accent in your typing there?

while it may seem strange, yes it is really.
without my regional accent i would never make that mistake

"Originally posted by elephantinc

Just so you know I wasn't bashing you at all, it's just some stupid crap I heard while playing a game, it did make me laugh a little bit because the american was speaking ebonics telling an english guy that his american sucks.

quote:
UPDATE: while its not true of all Americans, more do seem to take stereotypes as fact more than others, but after all, from what we know of stereotypes americans are idiots anyway

You will never see me argue with the fact that americans (not all but a huge majority) are idiots, haha

quote:

Asians aren't the one's we're calling terrorists over here anymore it's Arabs and the Taliban and Iraq and so on.... but us American's don't really know whats going on, the news jerks us all over the place and we hate different countries and a different class of people every day depending on what the news tells us to hate, which is why I stay away from the news.

quote:
and im from lancashire so are therefore in the dark ages and have an IQ under 60 [/B]

I live in Plattsburgh, NY which is about 30 minutes from the border of Canada, I'm apparently either Canadian, Redneck, or from "THE CITY" a.k.a. New York City, if I don't explain to a person where Plattsburgh is."

I know that you wasn't bashing me {Edit: OGM, im talking like a chav}, you just reminded me about the language point.

and with the rest, i was, of course, joking about the stereotypes ( is doesn't mean some of them dont have any truth though)

# 10 19-10-2008 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber
I think if their is a worse stereotype than English its Australian.
I have been asked if i own a Kangaroo, Live on a Farm, Speak like Steeve Irwin ect.
People don't seem to realise that Australia is actually a Developed country with things like Cities and cars and Large flat slabs of black stones that we call roads.
While it may be true that some people in australia fit the stereotype not everyone does.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 11 19-10-2008 , 07:26 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
AUSTRALIA HAS ROADS! user added image
im joking of corse BTW ive been asked if i own an elephant, so a kangaroos not that bad....

I turned off my computer but i just remembered this and had to post

In many American TV shows english american football players are depicted as wimps. 1 word, RUGBY!!!!!! no padding.......
and its called football, not soccer, we invented it first!

# 12 19-10-2008 , 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Some Guy
I have been asked if i own a Kangaroo...

You know I was going to leave this thread alone on the off chance that someone might turn it into a political flame fest but that line just made me crack up LOL good one. Close minded people miss out on so much, just brush them off.

- Genny
# 13 19-10-2008 , 07:57 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Im part American and part english...so I guess Im a stereotypical fat American with wonky teeth LOL

With regard to Australians, weren't they supposed to originally derive from england? And I'm not talking about the Aboriginese people. Someone correct me if Im wrong please...

Jay

# 14 19-10-2008 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
apparently australia was made by prisoners after kicking out all the natives. where the prisoners were deported from i have no idea...

one of my friends got asked once (on the internet) "do you guys have tv?" by an american....

while my sister and her fiancee were in america they asked someone if there were any "internet cafes" and the guy was all confused, and they had to describe what it was and he realised they meant "innernet cafes"

i'd hate to just look at someone and instantly think i know everything about them probably 100% of the time you're wrong. whether you believe it or not we were born human (even if most people dont stay that way)

the only stereotypes you can safely use are the ones that you can actually prove to always be true. the stereotypes you bring up, elephantinc, are way too unstable and easily broken.

anyway, i have little care for country/race stereotyypes because i'm a clear counter example to it all. i hate following those rules.

it's not going to put food on the table or give me a place to sleep.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 19-10-2008 at 08:25 PM.
# 15 19-10-2008 , 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Jay
With regard to Australians, weren't they supposed to originally derive from england?...

Jay

As far as I know yep. I guess that's why to many untrained ears the accents sound similar. Between people being banished, indentured servants, slavery and just general migration/colonization, people tend to have more in common than they realize : o

- Genny