Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 11-11-2008 , 07:23 PM
Acid44
also, even with a one week deadline on a high res car model it'd probably be a big group project so you may only be assigned to certain parts of the car then someone else takes over for the rest user added image

# 17 15-11-2008 , 03:30 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
didnt know all that but still i kinda have my own work flow how does it work out with different artist
anyway i was done with the body a while back its just that my comps been busy with other projects

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 15-11-2008 , 03:42 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
with mesh smooth applied

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 15-11-2008 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by murambi
didnt know all that but still i kinda have my own work flow how does it work out with different artist

senario:
artist1: "what is that? what are you doing to my model? Get away from there!!"

artist2: "yes, well my part was to work on the interior of the car"

artist1: "i bloody well don't care! you don't touch my model ever!"

artist2: "so how am i meant to do my part?"

artist1: "you wait until i'm done!! That's how i do things! that's how it should always be done!!"

supervisor: "what the bloody 'ell is this mess?"

artist1: "this... this monkey who has the nerve to call himself an artist, an artist for crying out loud, keeps trying to touch my work!! it's disturbing my workflow!!"

supervisor: "i see then, mate. I have a place for you, a very special one"

artist1: "it's about time i get some recognition around here!"

supervisor: "it's called the outside. You're fired"

and most likely artist1 is old and french or someone naturally snobbish and stuck up

moral of the story:
if you can't work in a collaborative environment then it's not going to go down well user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 20 15-11-2008 , 04:05 PM
Acid44
LMFAO love the scenario XD

the corners of the extrusion out of the hood are way to hard, fix that and then it'll be okuser added image

# 21 16-11-2008 , 04:43 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I don't know what world you guys live/work in, but if a guy (with lots of money) usually you boss.... wants a car modeled in 2-3 days..... someone is going to model a car in 2-3 days.
And if it isn't you, well then, that's your loss... I'm sorry but in this day and age, if you can't do it in the time given (if any) someone else will.

A week is a good estimate as for time slot though. And that's for an individual. And of course that's just the modeling, and maybe some basic rendering.... No animations.

It's good to test yourself against a time limit, but don't let your model suffer for it. At this point in time, it would probably be best to take the time, and make the model look top notch. Then worry about deadlines, when someone hires you to build them a car because they saw your previous work.

Anyway, nice model. Keep at it.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 22 16-11-2008 , 04:49 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
[B
and most likely artist1 is old and french or someone naturally snobbish and stuck up
[/B]

?? wow. nice. nothing like using a stereotype to back up your argument.

moral of the story:
if you can't work in a collaborative environment then it's not going to go down well user added image [/B]

while i don't want to downplay the obvious importance of being able to work in a team - i'm sure your ability is at the very least just as important. i mean let's face it: there have been plenty of grumpy difficult artists.

further, maybe i missed it, but i don't see where murambi said he wasn't willing to compromise or not be willing to work in a team. sure, there may be a couple of spots that need working on, but if he wants to try churning out a car extra fast, go for it! i mean he's got a lot further than half the cars on this site, myself included.

and anyway, practising working fast is a useful exercise. it stops you being precious.

need more coffee...

# 23 16-11-2008 , 09:30 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
?? wow. nice. nothing like using a stereotype to back up your argument.

yeah i wouldn't take that sentence seriously at all, i don't. it was based off from what some other dudes who have dealt with some french dudes in ADR.
it's an innovation vs adapters thing...
if you want me to use a plausible stereotype i can

further, maybe i missed it, but i don't see where murambi said he wasn't willing to compromise or not be willing to work in a team.

yeah, i probably misinterpreted what he said (in the quote i quoted)... it happens to even the best of us :p

need more coffee...

instant programer, just add coffee
instant artist, just add drugs

user added image

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 24 16-11-2008 , 10:36 AM
Acid44

instant programer, just add coffee
instant artist, just add drugs

that's goin in my sig user added image

# 25 16-11-2008 , 07:56 PM

yeah i wouldn't take that sentence seriously at all, i don't. it was based off from what some other dudes who have dealt with some french dudes in ADR.
it's an innovation vs adapters thing...
if you want me to use a plausible stereotype i can

using someone else's stereotype doesn't make it any less stupid - indeed, it probably makes it worse. i don't have any problems with taking the piss out of the french, americans or my personal gripe, eskimos. the point here is that you are making derogaratory statements about the french without knowing who your audience is, which seems kind of stupid for someone who is supposedly giving advice on how to work in a collaborative environment.

ok, sorry for taking over your thread murambi.

Last edited by arran; 16-11-2008 at 08:00 PM.
# 26 16-11-2008 , 08:22 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
easy guys im sure chirone didnt mean to offend anyone

ok now i have a problem i dont know how to use displacement maps. i want to model the tire grip can anyone point me in the direction of a tut

# 27 17-11-2008 , 12:31 AM
take a look at this tut -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK4Rd9-zcE8

haven't watched it all the way thru - but i think it will help. i'm learniing displacement maps at the moment so might be able to help.

oh and i didn't mean to be so harsh on chirone. night shift and lack of coffee/drugs. .. so sorry chirone.

# 28 17-11-2008 , 04:53 AM
Subscriber
all good, bro user added image