Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 07-06-2009 , 10:17 AM
Subscriber
Ok, so I think I have a new showreel. It's still private but I though I would post it here before I start blitzing companies with it.

It is also a little large cos it's HD. I will re-edit the size for my site and YouTube but that will happen after I am 100% happy with it.

It should be at ...

https://www.optical-minefield.co.uk/S...9_EXTENDED.mov

Let me know how' it goes.

Cheers in advance

P.S.

I haven't forgotten about the changed to the site that I have had suggested to me but that will be next on my list.

user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 17 07-06-2009 , 10:50 AM
The Nurb Herd
whats going on with the brick texture in the first model? its all stretched.
i would also get rid of the pictures in the windows and add an occlusion to either the texture or the model.

# 18 07-06-2009 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber
I sort of see what you mean with the bricks. I will go back and see what can be done with that.

I was also unsure about the textures behind the windows. What do you think I should have instead? Im not sure I know what you mean when you say add an occlusion to either the model or texture>

Cheers for taking the time to look at it and give your feedback. It's really helps.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 19 08-06-2009 , 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Is that link working? I can't see jack, it just sits there loading with the QT logo.

- Genny
# 20 08-06-2009 , 08:13 AM
Subscriber
I think people have been downloading it.

What I will do is make a proper player page while I am improving it.

I'll shout back here when it is done.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 21 08-06-2009 , 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Tim_LIVID NitroLiq

I understand what you're saying, I suppose my only reservation in leaving it out is that I spent a long time making it and it's a model I'm proud of. It's not perfect as I can understand but I would still be reluctant not to include it as a demonstration of my ability. However, considering I don't have a job in industry yet it might be something I had to reconsider.

I know the feeling, believe me, but it really is considered a big "no-no" when putting together a portfolio. You're following instructions to build something rather than showing what you're capable on your own in spite of the time and tears spent modeling. You'd be better off showing a few highly-detailed models/concepts of your own if modeling is your goal....and always remember....it's quality over quantity. Variety is nice...demonstrate that you can model organic, inorganic, environments, etc. Come up with your own concepts. How many of these companies see the same car, spaceship, etc. models? Do something different...use your imagination...you want to stand out.

As far as the site goes, if you're not a web designer, why not just put together a wordpress blog/portfolio site and show off everything that way?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 22 08-06-2009 , 03:49 PM
Subscriber
Hey.

I have made a showreel that is being uploaded as we speak. The Oliphant features very small on the showreel.

As for the site, it is actually a Wordpress site. I am trying to find a good video player plug-in to avoid having YouTube on it.

Thanks once again.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 23 09-06-2009 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
Right.

Here's how it is. My new showreel is up on my site and I will find a good way of showing videos instead of just embedding a YouTube video.

Moving on. I am looking to do something crazy in ZBrush / Mudbox. I need to take it to the next level.

Sooooo, my works in progress are going to be taken out of that gallery and put in there proper place and im going to do something completely new.

Hold onto your socks!

Optical Minefield
My Blog