Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-02-2010 , 01:23 PM

Too stupid for facing

Hey guys,

im trying to get closer to maya. I was just playing a bit around and wanted to create a simply model. But im too stupid to face a normal polygon cube. I created a polygon cube and splitted a selected edge ring in the middle of it. Now i wanted to extrude the upper half of the cube. But when i press rightclick on the cube to use the face command, nothing happens :headbang:.

Im using Maya 2010.

Can you say me what i am doing wrong?
I thank you already yet. Sorry for my stupidness user added image.

cheers Virus

"I love Windows, i used it to download Linux!"

Last edited by VirusT91; 03-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
# 2 03-02-2010 , 02:15 PM
The thin red line
have you clicked on it (so it is high lighted)and is the curser over it when you right click..........dave

# 3 03-02-2010 , 02:27 PM
yes, but normaly on each site of the cube a point has to assign in the mid right?
That doesnt happen.

# 4 03-02-2010 , 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Could you show an image or even upload the scene? It's hard to understand your problem.

- Genny
# 5 03-02-2010 , 04:53 PM

# 6 03-02-2010 , 05:20 PM
You're just wanting to extrude the face? It appears from the screen grab that you already have the "face" command selected. If you click on the face, it should turn from red to green (or, it does in 2009 anyway). Then go to Edit Mesh in your top menu bar, and click on Extrude.

# 7 03-02-2010 , 05:43 PM
ok so the point is, that in the version the man is using in the tutorials i watched is 6 and in this version faced sites are signed with a point in its mid. ok this is really embrassing :attn: thanks alot for your help

greets virus

THREAD CAN BE CLOSED

Last edited by VirusT91; 03-02-2010 at 05:47 PM.
# 8 03-02-2010 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
If you want the dot in the middle then go to your preferences under the window button. In the preferences dialog click selection under the settings category, here you can change the way you select your faces.

# 9 03-02-2010 , 06:26 PM
thank you! thats exactly what i was looking for...
that was really irritating me!

greets Virus

# 10 03-02-2010 , 09:15 PM
ok bevore the thread gets closed one more question about what i was basicly going to do.
i know there are couple of other threads in this forum how to use the standart maya tools like mj poly tools, but im not as good in english and cant follow :-(.

so maybe somebody can explain to me how i can use the basic maya tools to do a edge loop split...

thx alot... virus

# 11 03-02-2010 , 11:51 PM
Subscriber
i think...

1. click edit mesh > insert edge loop

2. click on an edge that you want to split.

i don't remember if 1. is right since i dont use the menus to get the split polygon tool

insert edge loop will insert an edge loop so long as all the edges it comes across has an opposite edge

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 04-02-2010 , 04:57 PM
yeah it works, but is it possible to set the edge loop automaticly in the middle of the edge?

other question: is it possible to use the mj poly tools in maya 2010?

Last edited by VirusT91; 04-02-2010 at 06:15 PM.
# 13 05-02-2010 , 05:29 AM
Subscriber
...yeah its in the tool options, have a play with the options...

maintain position is used to determine if the edge loop will be inserted in the center or relative and how many edge loops you want

just have a play

i've never used mj polytools before (or i might have but i didn't see the point in having it since it didn't do anything new)
if it's what i'm thinking of then all it does is put the shelfs with the buttons up top into another window. anything it can do you can do with the tools on the shelf as they're the same.

i might be wrong though.. there might be some special tool that does something that requires more than a few clicks if you did it normally

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 14 05-02-2010 , 04:43 PM
yeah maybe thats possible but i cant handle this right now...
inserted the mjpolytool mels in the script ordner of maya 2010, which is now in the installation folder under scripts and startup.

but where can i find the option extrude face under maya 2010?

thx for your help :-)

Last edited by VirusT91; 05-02-2010 at 05:24 PM.
# 15 05-02-2010 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
might i suggest you do the tutorials that come with maya?

i dont have 2010 but i doubt it's any different to 2009

you can also get to extrude from the marking menus. i didn't add it to the picture because it didn't show up in the screen capture

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chirone; 05-02-2010 at 09:53 PM.