Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-02-2010 , 05:32 PM

4.5K Backplates RED One

Anyone used 4.5K footage from a Red camera?

Just got a job on where the footage is off a Red One at 4.5k, just wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping things running smoothly what with the resolution.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 20-02-2010 , 05:39 PM
Technical Director
You'll need to resize the plate to something smaller than 2k. Even at that resolution, if it's a moving plate, Maya will crawl.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 20-02-2010 , 05:41 PM
Yeah, its a tracked shot.

Gonna be fun!

# 4 21-02-2010 , 06:36 AM
You have peaked my interest. What is a "RED ONE" camera and this 4.5K Backplate you speak of?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 21-02-2010 , 07:57 AM
Subscriber
i've heard red cameras and their 4k shots mentioned before...

didn't go to look for anything on them until now

https://www.red.com/cameras/

i thought they would be bigger..
not sure if i'm looking at the right thing?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 21-02-2010 , 10:36 AM
Thats link.

Bigger? As in the physical size of the camera or the resolution?

Ctbram, basically its a hi res digital camcorder that can record at 4480 x 1920 resolution film. Its only slightly short of actual 35mm film in overall quality.

I'll be doing a VFX shot using the footage from one, hence using it as a backplate.

Gonna be a killer on the PC for running and rendering.

# 7 21-02-2010 , 12:33 PM
The Nurb Herd
We have a dedicated department that covers RED. I've never worked with the footage tho. I think its pretty cool.
This movie was shot in RED Cam- Lesbian Vampire Killers, I think it was one of the first feature length movies to do so.

I dunno if this is helpful, its from the MPC website.

RECOMMENDED RED DATA PIPELINE

The best data workfl ow for RED cameras is a two-step offline/online process.

Currently, Final Cut Pro on the latest Macs can edit RED footage natively but the data rate is quite high, so to keep editorial storage overheads down, or for projects that require real-time effects, transcoding the RED files to Apple ProRes QuickTimes is recommended.

For AVID edit systems, the RED files will need to be transcoded. MPC Data Lab can provide editors with AVID project fi les with the media encoded directly to native AVID .mxf files, enabling editors to plug a drive straight into their AVID and start editing immediately. As a cheaper option the RED files can be converted to QuickTime media which the AVID can then import (this is an approximately real-time operation whereas the .mxf option is comparatively instant).

Once the media has been edited, we will then need to do high quality online conversions. We take the Edit Decision List (EDL) from the edit system to perform the raw conversions on just the footage used in the edit. The RAW footage is converted at full quality and full resolution and then rescaled to 2K dpx files which then fit in with the rest of our non-linear digital workflow.

# 8 21-02-2010 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
gster, when you say backplate, what does that mean? does it mean like a background on which to work, like the bottom layer in the stacking order of a layered file in photoshop or after effects? where i have been reading about matte painting recently i keep reading this word 'plate', which i assume is a word carried over from some more traditional method like 'leading' is in desktop publishing, and 'burn' and 'dodge' is in photoshop?

# 9 21-02-2010 , 12:45 PM
Hi Ben, yes, essentially the backgorund image that I will be using to add effects to. I thnk the plate referes to old school effects when drawings were made on glass or plates that could then be "layered" to add elements to a scene.

Cheers for the info Hammer

# 10 21-02-2010 , 04:44 PM
thanks for the info gster. I am not up on real world vfx lingo but now I get the idea. Thanks for the weblink chirone and thanks hh for the movie link.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 11 21-02-2010 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
Ive decided to brave an online matte painting course at cg society. Its 8 weeks long and starts on march the 1st.i dont know if ill be going in over my head,there looks like lots of technical stuff,camera projection and some animation etc.but it will my first training proper i.e, not self study,in maya,photoshop,nuke etc.im quite excited and am going to try and give it my best shot.i hope its worth the money.

# 12 22-02-2010 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
Bigger? As in the physical size of the camera or the resolution?

yeah i meant physical size

i think it was the batman movie with the joker that they showed this massive massive machine they called a camera to capture HD footage...
i thought RED was something like that

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 13 22-02-2010 , 09:51 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
wow very cool cameras and good luck steve with those resolutions at work we use a jvc hd 200 for shots so the highest res i have worked on is 1080p

on a side note what browser do you guys use cause mozilla keeps freezing on me when i use open moree than 5tabs and lets not talk about IE8

# 14 22-02-2010 , 05:49 PM
EduSciVis-er
I love the modularity of the RED cameras... so cool. What I would give to own one... well obviously not the asking price. Anyway, I use firefox, as do most computer literate people (sorry if that's offensive, but I assume it's accurate). Not sure why it's crashing on you.

# 15 22-02-2010 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stwert
I love the modularity of the RED cameras... so cool. What I would give to own one... well obviously not the asking price. Anyway, I use firefox, as do most computer literate people (sorry if that's offensive, but I assume it's accurate). Not sure why it's crashing on you.

a guy where i work says firefox is best.ive had opera, firefox,and ie,and ie is my fave.but to be honest i dont see alot of difference,apart from the built in google search bar.what makes firefox so great?