Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 14-05-2003 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber

(Nem )i wudnt really recommend ATi cards for 3d work, weird drivers

In My opinion ATI has the best Cards on the market for everything in multimedia, I have a high end System that I just put together to just for 3D applications such as Maya and it runs Grate with out any problems what so ever, So if your looking for a good Card I would recommend Radon 9500/9700 Pro128 ddr ram card, Its cheaper then the 9700Pro but still dose the same work with out the extra stuff that you probably wont use.

# 17 15-05-2003 , 01:24 PM
I agree with BadMange. I use an MSI GeForce 4 TI4200 softquadro'ed up to a Quadro 4 700 XGL. Works great with Maya.
Not sure how noticable a difference there is between the stock card really because it worked fine before I patched the nVidia drivers. Less problems with paintFX, maybe. Gaming doesn't suffer that much...I haven't noticed anything on the occasion I fire up Quake III.

Regarding ATI, not sure about the newest card but in the past they've had lots of problems within maya. Just go through some of the hardware threads at highend and you'll see what I mean.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 15-05-2003 at 01:31 PM.
# 18 15-05-2003 , 03:28 PM
With my 9500 pro, image planes won't show up at all for some reason, and using sculpt nurbs surface is very buggy. After I installed FireGL drivers it was fixed.

Unfortunatly ATI's drivers are still buggy in other things. I can't hit esc in half-life unless I'm using older drivers, and the Linux drivers don't work with glibc 3.2 and xfree 4.3 user added image

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a gf 4 ti 4200, OC it and mod it into a quadro.

# 19 15-05-2003 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Corey
With my 9500 pro, image planes won't show up at all for some reason, and using sculpt nurbs surface is very buggy. After I installed FireGL drivers it was fixed.

Unfortunatly ATI's drivers are still buggy in other things. I can't hit esc in half-life unless I'm using older drivers, and the Linux drivers don't work with glibc 3.2 and xfree 4.3 user added image

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a gf 4 ti 4200, OC it and mod it into a quadro.

Wow Really? what system Specs setup do you have going on? I my self have the 9500/9700 pro and it runs SWEET on my system, I went from a GF3 to ATI and have no Troubles at all, Infact it runs better faster and smoother with out boging down when I have a lot of polys on the screen.

# 20 21-05-2003 , 02:42 AM
I have a Geforce 2 ti 7700 and I highly DONT recommend it. It is locking up on me.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 21 24-05-2003 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber

Major ATI Problem Solved

Hi guyZ

Thanks for the replies to my question but I am happy to tell you that the most irritating problem with the ATI card was actually NOT A PROBLEM,

(crowd sighs !):o :o :o

I have watched a vid tutorial that came with the games and interactive book from Alias (highly recommended and currently available at half the price at Alias' store) and the solution was actually presented there - I just had to turn FAST INTERACTION OFF.

Strange that no one in any forum I had previously posted this problem suggested this as a solution.

Yee Ha !

now I can finally model with image planes

Nir

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 22 26-05-2003 , 12:55 AM
My geforce 4 mx works just fine for maya. If you're not into that much gaming, I say get it. It's $50 or less now, I bet