Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-11-2021 , 06:24 PM

Facial control following mesh problem

Hey guys.
I have been working as Character TD for some time, but for the past year(s) it was mainly scripting, so I forgot how to make facial controls to follow mesh. I remember there were hundreds of techniques(bindPreMatrix, follicle constraint, plusMinusAverage method and etc), but I felt the easiest one was follicle constraint. So here I am trying for half-day to make work my control to follow mesh but always hitting cycle… I am pretty sure it’s something very simple I am missing, so could somebody possibly point what do I miss?

Sorry for the messy painting hopefully it's understandable enough

Here is picture: https://ibb.co/MNM8Rd1

Last edited by David; 09-11-2021 at 09:36 PM.

# 2 09-11-2021 , 10:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
It looks like a joke with the *use this step if you dont like using head geo* comment.

You cant make a control follow a mesh you need to make the control follow the rig - the rig is the point of all control, ie a control is constrained to a specific point on the rig - thats character basics, to have a control follow a mesh will give you a double transform, anything skinned is basically controlled at rig/joint points not via mesh objects. If a control is for the mesh/geo that has a blend shape, you need to give it specific attributes with integer values that would range from 0-1 and coincide with the blend shape, ie a mouth opening shape - open is 1, closed is zero.

does this make sense??

but controls always constrained via the rig...never the mesh, the mesh hold attributes. I think you're confusing yourself too with your nodes. If it helps I did a rig tutorial...https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya...low/tpage/195/

but your follicle just requires a parent constraint to what ever you need to follow.....

cheers

J

Last edited by Jay; 09-11-2021 at 10:35 PM.

# 3 10-11-2021 , 05:37 AM
I think you are either not really familiar with the topic or my explanation was really bad and if that's the case then I am sorry.

Check this video(that's kind of behavior I am looking for) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yDg...nandGameDesign

You stated that controllers can't follow mesh and they should follow a rig, but actually, they can do both in many cases and I have done it before. I am pretty sure that I am missing a very stupid thing which I just forgot

Have a nice day

Last edited by NamelessRigger; 10-11-2021 at 05:39 AM.

# 4 10-11-2021 , 09:03 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
NamelessRigger

I am familiar with the topic, my point is that its not ideal to have a control follow the mesh. I've worked in film for 25 years and Ive not seen it at any point. even with the uptodate methods

However, as I was the only one offering to give you the help and suggestions, next time be more polite about accepting it instead of throwing it back in my face in such a rude manner , you are clearly confused in your own mess, even with your alleged 'years of experience as a character td.

and if thats the method then follow that instead....

YOU have a nice day now
cheers
J

# 5 10-11-2021 , 01:16 PM

NamelessRigger

I am familiar with the topic, my point is that its not ideal to have a control follow the mesh. I've worked in film for 25 years and Ive not seen it at any point. even with the uptodate methods

However, as I was the only one offering to give you the help and suggestions, next time be more polite about accepting it instead of throwing it back in my face in such a rude manner , you are clearly confused in your own mess, even with your alleged 'years of experience as a character td.

and if thats the method then follow that instead....

YOU have a nice day now
cheers
J

I am sorry if my message looked that way. I wasn't intending to throw anything back at you, I just said that you are wrong about your statement. If you wanted to point out that this method is not ideal, you could have just said that but you said that you can't do it and sent me a basic tutorial in Maya, I would say that's actually a little bit more offensive and incorrect thing to do. I think when you are saying "years of experience" and "your own mess", you are referring more to yourself. I feel bad for a person in our industry if he triggers that much every time somebody doesn't agree with him. Don't be so aggressive, lol...

Also, I will allow myself to disagree with you again, I would like to say that facial controllers following the deformation of mesh are actually industry standard in a lot of studios. (DreamWork, Pixar, and even in much smaller studios) Check some facial rigging showreel, also might help.
Hope you won't get triggered again that hard for not agreeing with you and as a parting gift, I found a tutorial just right for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gppv...=LearningFever

# 6 10-11-2021 , 01:26 PM
SM Tea Boy
you know what they say about arguing on the internet user added image

@NamelessRigger I hope you work it out please do start a new thread if you find an answer I'm interested to know.

For now thread closed
David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"