Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 30-10-2003 , 02:50 AM
The Maya Mountain
No idea. Maybe reset your poly cube options?

# 47 31-10-2003 , 04:28 AM
Subscriber
Cheers mike, will try that next...and let you know user added image

Is there a way to soften the shadow/light edges here?
And what setting is it please?

Regards Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 31-10-2003 , 05:00 AM
The Maya Mountain
If it's a spotlight, increase the punumbra angle. Otherwise, you would probably want to play with decay settings. Note that when you change to a linear decay or whatever, you'll need to up the intensity pretty high, but it should give a mroe soft look.

# 49 31-10-2003 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Mike, I tried the Polygon Cube options, but still same...? I may try re-installing Maya, see if that fixes things. Do you think that may work?

Actually the light type in the lamp above, is a "Point light" I didn't really know which was best to pick, just thought of a bulb and how it emit's in all directions.
Will have a go at the settings you told me about - Thanks..

Regards Scraggy

# 50 31-10-2003 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Hi - Just got a reply from "Tuna" .......

Quote.."I take it you are subdividing one face, then selecting the other face (adjacent) and then subdividing that one.

Do this.. Subdivide the first face, then look at the second one. count the edges. It now has 7 edges because the first polygon you divided added more (to that side). This is the reason the subdividing is taking a strange pattern, because you arent applying it to a 4 sided polygon.

Now start again and select both faces at once and subdivide. They should now be neat."

And he's right - ! Cheers Tuna if you ever see this...

Scraggy