Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Animation (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Real Time Redraws - Tortoise Speeds (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3079)

gazzamataz 08-01-2003 11:29 AM

Real Time Redraws - Tortoise Speeds

1 Attachment(s)
O.K. I have an Athlon 1.2 ghz box with a GeForce4 Ti200 with 128mb RAM in it. I have modelled the creature from the Maya 4 Fundamentals book and have put a basic rig on it. I am now in the process of doing a walk cycle for it.

Thing is it is not that complicated a model but it is bloody slow watching it in real time. I am not impressed I would have thought that it would move faster with this spec machine - its like watching a tortoise. Does anyone out there know of a way to speed things up!

I have attached a pick below to show the geometry of the model and how far I have got. I am used to Animation Master and I find that models that are more complicated than this move faster in this program am I not pushing a certain button. I have the latest drivers installed.

kbrown 08-01-2003 11:38 AM

It's SubD, isn't it? How did you rig it?

I have very little experience on this but I've heard/read that one should rig the polyproxy and animate it instead of doing it directly in standard mode...

gazzamataz 08-01-2003 12:19 PM

Hi KBrown

No, it started out in 'Maya 4 Fundamentals' attempt at simulating SubDs in Maya Complete, but I got fed up with them and went into polys.

I rigged the character using the Learning Maya 'Character Rigging and Animation' Book, which suggested using a low res version, even A:M lets you do this. But as I said, it's not that high res a model so it should work reasonably...

kbrown 08-01-2003 12:26 PM

That's odd then. Is it slow in wireframe mode too?

gazzamataz 08-01-2003 12:37 PM

Weird... It seems to be about the same speed... I think I will have to investigate further. I know that AW say that Nvidia cards don't support hardware overlays or sumink lioke dat, but I don't know what this is anyway or that it is related...

Kurt 08-01-2003 02:33 PM

Sounds like a ram issue, I have amd athlon 1.3, 768 ram g-force mxm 64 meg card, and the only time its slow is I have a heavy sub-d character that im trying to animate.

gazzamataz 08-01-2003 04:03 PM

Sounds about right. I only have 512mb RAM-a-lam-a-ding-dong in my machine guess I should upgrade it to 1gig...

gazzamataz 13-01-2003 05:51 PM

Fixed it! I piddled around with the Animation Preferences and changed the playback speed. Voila! It sped up... Hope that helps others who have had the same problem.

M 30-01-2003 02:40 AM

Hey, I have a question that is like this... I rendered a movie and want it to play in full screen. Now I do have a fast computer and even with this, its still plays slow. If i want it to go full screen what is the best way?