Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Who works in the 3d industry? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21523)

bcrichplayer 15-05-2006 07:19 AM

Who works in the 3d industry?

I was just wondering who here works in the 3d animation industry or who just does it as a general interest kind of thing.

Jay 15-05-2006 12:22 PM

I dont do animation but Im in the 3d industry and I do it for freelance and personal use as well. Just addicted really....

Jay

daffas 16-05-2006 12:32 AM

i want to do it for a 3d industry, and free lance

dannyngan 16-05-2006 05:31 PM

I going on 8 years as an animator in the game industry. I'm starting to feel old now. :p

Dragon013 17-05-2006 03:02 PM

yeha

i would love to work anyware in the game industry even if its just making cups of T currently unemployed . :(

:headbang: :confused:

Dragon013

bcrichplayer 17-05-2006 05:10 PM

dannyngan
Just wondering how you first entered the game/animation industry.eg qualifications, amount of jobs around(background stuff)

Masteryoda 17-05-2006 07:04 PM

Aiming to be oneday working with a movies studio as a modeller...I hope one day it will...planning to be a freelancer once I'm better than i am now.

pbman 17-05-2006 07:13 PM

student - hopin to go uni in next few yrs and wana job either in movies or tv as a modeller
im not picky but id rather film

Rostoons 17-05-2006 07:41 PM

Student - finishing degree in june

Hoping to get a job for an animation studio, games or films (I have a preferance for films but the current level of game animation means the two are not that far apart).

dannyngan 17-05-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bcrichplayer
dannyngan
Just wondering how you first entered the game/animation industry.eg qualifications, amount of jobs around(background stuff)

I studied animation and design in college, applied for a job at a local game company after I graduated, and got hired the same day I did the interview. I spent most of my college career studing and practicing traditional hand-drawn animation, stop-motion animation, graphic design, and video production. Lots of non-computer work.

I didn't really do any 3D work until my last couple of years of school, and, even then, it was mostly on my own time. I already had background in traditional and stop-motion animation, so the transition to 3D character animation didn't take me long at all. Plus, back in the mid-1990s, 3D software wasn't too terribly complex compared to today's versions, so it didn't take nearly as long to learn how to use software.

I also had several friends already working in the game industry, so they put in some good recommendations for me. That really helped me in getting my first job.

mtmckinley 17-05-2006 08:20 PM

Been an artist in the game industry for about 3 years now. My current position (of the last 2 months or so) is thanks to Danny's recomendation! :) Thanks, buddy!

bcrichplayer 18-05-2006 07:48 AM

Thanks for the info guys, its been great to hear how people get into this business, although I wouldnt suspect its an easy industry to get into due to the amount of jobs out there. Maybe I'll look into it in the future.

Currentley studying graphic design myself and overloaded with work.:shakehead

lisa_gonzalez 18-05-2006 08:51 AM

I was a matchmove artist, then a lead matchmove artist at MPC, now I'm a modeller. I've been at MPC for about 20 months, and I've got a degree in Computer Animation.

When I was at college I wanted to go into graphic design or product design, but stumbled across my degree in a Uni prospectus and never looked back!

farbtopf 18-05-2006 08:51 AM

I'm illustration student finishing next year, and..... well we'll se were I'll be going. Should be some moving image thing since I am not really doing any illustration work.
One thing I find really annoying about work/work placement is that it doesn't really matter how good you are as long as you know a lot of people. (This is not against danny or mckineley If someone deserves recommendation there's nothing wrong with it) There are just way to many lazy people in my uni whose work is crap. Regardless knowing "the right people" will evnetually get them a good job. That sucks.

farbtopf 18-05-2006 08:51 AM

one more question,
dannyngan do you think that it is helpful to know traditional animation before starting with 3d, cause I'm starting an evening class in 2d, actually today, and some people actually laughed at me. Im not fuzzed about that but just wanted to know if it helped you.

cheers

dannyngan 18-05-2006 05:25 PM

@Mike:

No prob about the recommendation. I'm keeping score, btw. ;)

@farbtopf:

I think it's good to learn some traditional animation before diving into 3D animation. In fact, every professional animator that I know has had at least a little bit of experience with some form of traditional animation, whether it be hand-drawn or stop-motion. If anything, it gives you a chance to practice those drawing skills that many people seem to neglect nowadays.

Mostly, with traditional animation, you can focus on learning timing, posing, and all those great principles of animation without having to learn the intricacies of 3D animation software at the same time. I know it really helped me. By the time I started to learn 3D animation, I already understood animation, so all I had to learn was the 3D part.

BMS 18-05-2006 11:34 PM

Working in Catia in the Aerospace Industry designing Tooling etc in 3D, but I would rather work with Maya ;)

Milarky 24-05-2006 07:29 PM

how do you track down local 3d game companys or any thing gerneraly in the comerical art world?

there dont go to the local job centre - they just want to put you in a factory or supermarket

Papers even posh papers seem to rarely have postions and if they do they want 2-3 years experiance! and several programs which is though when still getting to gripswith one..

so how do you get around these hicups?

do you lie about experiance is 3 years learning at univeristy experiance?

how do you sell your enthusiaum to the subject at an interview and erm.. what makes a great portfoilo

phew lots of questions!

P.s im from manchester uk 2nd year at uni doing animation illustration hugely indept so difficult to leave my deadend job desperatly seeking any experiances for summer!

mtmckinley 24-05-2006 08:56 PM

most studios post job ads at their websites.

www.gamasutra.com
www.gamejobs.com

and other sites like that also have a lot of job ads for the gaming industry.

If your portfolio is good and shows good potential, it'll usually score you an interview if nothing else. But you can be the most enthusiastic person in the world, but you have to show you can do the work they need done.

djon 31-05-2006 08:03 AM

Working in the aerospace industry as a CATIA v5 instructor.

just started with maya. The more I get to know it, the more I like it.. maybe one day I'll prefer it over CATIA ;)

I'm from the Netherlands btw..

BMS 31-05-2006 08:08 AM

Wow another Catia V5 user :) Who do you work for?

I Work for Boeing.

Cheers
Paul

djon 31-05-2006 08:21 AM

wow! boeing, nice.. put in a good word for me over there ;)

Im working for a company called GATE Aerospace.

I developed a CATIA v5 design workshop which I am now instructing to all kinds of aerospace designers.

vlargon 31-05-2006 10:53 AM

I'm doing a practicel in a 3D companie for the moment...

BMS 31-05-2006 08:55 PM

No Probs man I'll put in a good word for you.

Just checked out your Catia Workshop site, looks good.

As much as I like Catia, I really like the freedom in Maya as specially the rendering and animation! But they are both Great in there own way.

Have you moved models between Maya and Catia before?

Cheers
Paul

NitroLiq 31-05-2006 09:27 PM

Man, I wish one of you aerospace cats could hook me up with a 3D gig at Lockheed in Pensacola...I'd love to move out of NYC and back to FL.

djon 01-06-2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BMS
Have you moved models between Maya and Catia before?

No, I have never tried that. Is it possible without a conversion program?

thanks,
Djon

BMS 01-06-2006 07:05 AM

Well I was under the impression that Maya 7.0 could import Catia Models. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm still on Maya 6.0 (need a few extra $$ before I can upgrade) :)

I am going to the Digital Media Festival here in Melbourne next week. Concentric will be there (Distributor of Maya and Catia in Australia), I will ask them exactly how its done.

Cheers
Paul

Stephen 01-06-2006 11:20 AM

I work as a freelance illustrator with 15 years exp in 2d and 5 years in 3d. I own my own company and most of my work comes from old clients built up over the years.
Cheers

bcrichplayer 05-06-2006 05:54 PM

What qualifications do u guys have and what colleges/unis ect did u go to get them.

dannyngan 05-06-2006 06:31 PM

I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Oregon in the US. I focused my work on graphic design, video production, and stop-motion animation. There wasn't much in the way of advanced 3D courses when I was in school, so I had to do nearly all of my 3D learning on my own time. This ended being a good thing for me, because I learned how to read the f-ing manual and look stuff up on the internet. ;)

Stephen 05-06-2006 08:37 PM

I went to Portsmouth college of Art Design for 5 years and got an OND & HND. But I have to say that I learnt most things in the work place as lectures tend to loose reality to what really matters in preparation for the real world.
Observation, Observation, Observation! Research,Research, Research. Two of the most important things to get obsessed about in pushing your abilities.

vlargon 07-06-2006 12:05 PM

I finnished school as Webdevoloper..
But next year i'm going to study Digital arts and entertainment... (basicly same as game devolopment) but there they work only whith 3d studio max :headbang: