Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ***TOPOLOGY*** (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24483)

AnthonyCg 28-02-2007 12:22 AM

Is creating a body with 3-sided polys while using sub-ds a bad idea?
I've heard people argue that sub-ds are okay doing this even when rigging for animation.

gster123 28-02-2007 12:59 AM

The odd tri or n gon in the right place dosent make much of a difference. I personally try to keep it to all quads, just for ease of uving etc etc.

On another note, prior to maya 8 Mental ray wouldent render a sub D form a tri or a n-gon

Jay 28-02-2007 01:24 AM

For me its pointless doing tris on a subd, its just another ballache. Also its worth bearing in mind that any subd with tris etc will get turned into quads if you convert it to a poly, my point being you are going to have odd looking quads in areas you dont want them. So planning ahead can always be of help especially if you intend to rig and animate...

Jay

bruce dwyer 12-03-2007 12:31 PM

here is a querie for the thinkers out there

whn i model for a head i end up with about 6 to 8 poly's to make or attach an ear out of/to this amounts to many hours either multiplying and deleting geometry (we have all been there no doubt) is there a good amount of geo we should be tartgeting in this area

bruce dwyer 12-03-2007 12:41 PM

refference to Dr Julien

1 Attachment(s)
looking at the heads further up this page i would think that the good Dr has it with his three parrallel edges from the top of the nostrel arch to under the eye and across the cheek and from the corner of the eye running down the cheek

Jay 12-03-2007 07:23 PM

bruce dwyer

For an ear I usually give myself 8 polys to work from on the side of the head to extrude. Go to page 4 of this thread I posted an ear a while back.

The lines on the Dr are most likely added later. It was probably a bit of a mission to sort out where to place the extra geometry but knowing that Julian Johnson Mortimer did it, I doubt he had much trouble, he's a pretty cool 3d artist. But with the advent of Zbrush and mudbox adding the detail like this isnt really necessary now unless you havent got those bits of software of course

Cheers
Jay

bruce dwyer 12-03-2007 08:25 PM

yeh you are right Jay

he does draw them in later now that i remember the tut:bow:

ctbram 14-03-2007 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
600 polygons (most in the ears).

Jay 27-03-2007 12:20 AM

ctbram

good going, though Id add more polys, this will help you control uvs a bit better too if you are goingto texture the model. Also sort the odd looking quad on the cheek out, that may cause problems.

Jay

Some Guy 24-04-2007 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,
Heres a head that i made today. I want to know if there is anything majorly wrong with the topology before i start detailing it more.

arran 24-04-2007 02:43 PM

Cool! that's a really great looking head someguy. :beer: the only thing that stands out to me are the polys on his nose - i might not have them come to a point like that - though on the smooth head it doesn't look too bad.

Jay 24-04-2007 05:43 PM

Looks good...

Personally Id lose the tris on the cheek crease area, Its a would-be deforming area, if you are going to do animation. Also for arguements sake I'd also lose the tris on the nose. But thats just me - no tris!

Cheers
Jay

Some Guy 24-04-2007 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for th advice :)
I've gotten rid of as many tris i could find. Unfortunatley some 5 sided faces have appeared but they aren't in any major areas.

THX1138 19-06-2007 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Add some new splits in these areas, and that should fix your problem, if thats where your concerned about.

Mickeal_alex 13-08-2007 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool head. Here is mine but i don't know if i set up the polys correctly

Jay 01-10-2007 12:19 AM

Mickeal_alex

Not bad but lots of room for improvement. I would get rid of alot of geometry on the face as it very cramped in there. Also have a look at some of the earlier posts in this thread on edge looping the mesh. The post previous to this is a good example by Some Guy, its a nice mesh to work on.

Its all just practice at the end of the day, keep at it

Jay

Mickeal_alex 01-10-2007 08:21 AM

I know i think i have improved a lot in the threat that i put on in the wip section. It's called Modelling a realistic head. CHeck it out and see if it's correct.

Rociru 25-10-2007 07:24 AM

Wow you guys are really good at Maya.

gster123 25-10-2007 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post this in here as I feel it might be some use to people as I think the topologys not too bad.

Cheers

BennyK 13-11-2007 05:30 PM

Some tutorials I found:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutori...gon/277-1.html
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutori...gon/243-2.html
I haven't tried the eye yet but it looks helpful.

I also have a question - What is the best poly formation around joints (for skinning purposes)? Obviously there's a difference between joints, so can you also post examples for different joints eg shoulder, elbow, wrist, neck etc.

Jay 13-11-2007 05:54 PM

3 to 5 loops around the joint areas are usually adequate enough.

thanks for the links

Cheers
Jay

wokendreams 24-11-2007 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a lowpoly face for a model im using as practice. Im taking a lot of adivice from past threads. It was box modeled. Feel free to tear it apart, thats why its in the topo thread.

Also, is it better to have tri's that follow muscle lines or not have muscle lines and be strict on mesh unity? :beer:

Weyu 11-12-2007 07:41 AM

Working on a male head right now, I want to get the topology as perfect as possible so that I can use it in my application to a 3d course.

Edit: And yeeey on my fourhundreth post here. :)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...dcollected.jpg

gster123 11-12-2007 09:46 AM

Hi Woken,

I would try to keep it all quads, no tris, that way you can use the edges to define the loops of the face.

Weyu,

I would watch the placements of the poles, try to have them in areas that dont move when animated, the ones that stand out is on the nose, if the mesh is animated then the placements of them could cause funny problems with the mesh.

Weyu 24-12-2007 01:37 AM

I guess you're right I see 3(x2) poles that are on inconvenient places right now. I gotta change/remove them and add the ears.

Is there something else that looks off? Sometimes I have hard looking at my own work and find flaws.

Its hard to fit in time between work and friends, gotta be done before april tho. :)

Jay 24-12-2007 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Weyu

I dont think the placement of the poles are that bad to be honest.

the one on the cheek is okay, its not placed in an area that will cause probs if you were to make it animatable (ie:blendshapes) the one I would look at and redirect the edge flow is th one near the mouth, Ive penned over your render, so you can see.

the forhead to from the nose could use a little tweak. Just bring the edges a little higher and terminate them as before. but I wouldnt worry too much with these areas until the whole head is complete at base level with an ear included, then go to town adding and refining the mesh. you'll see more areas to tweak as you go and want to improve later.

Try and keep the polys as near to square as possible too if you can, this will help immmensley in the uv editor.

Overall its a pretty good start

Cheers
Jay

bruce dwyer 16-02-2008 07:10 PM

i have been looking over this thread and thought it worth mentioning the fsce loops that form the arch around the mouth ... some have it right some have it wrong but my point is that it should run over the top of the nasal arch as in "weyu's" and not into the arch like a few of the previous ... it seems like a small thing but you will stare at it for days trying to work out why it just aint right and gees its a bugger to try and fix later (dont i sound like the voice of experience ... not posting drawing as the previous posts sought of show it;)

Weyu 23-02-2008 03:03 PM

Okey been working on the head, for better or worse who knows. I've also added ears to the model. :)

I've tried following your advice and I think I've managed to change the location of the pole on the chin.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/weyu/head05.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/weyu/ear03.jpg

ColdWave 31-03-2008 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Need some nose help ;)

Jay 31-03-2008 01:53 AM

Its absolutely fine, very similar to one of my own, just shape it out a bit more

Cheers
Jay

ColdWave 31-03-2008 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks fine for me from side and from top but from center view it looks crapp some how big unnatural dunno ... i already shape it about 1 h and still no effect :confused:

ColdWave 31-03-2008 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Jay 01-04-2008 12:41 AM

The holes are wrong, if anything too small. get some reference off google that should help

_J

Weyu 11-04-2008 01:04 AM

I think that the edge of the eye is looking to sharp, should be a smother transition to the actual head I think.

And the fact that it doensnt have a mouth is really creeping me out! :)

And yeah the hole of the nostrils are way to thin as stated before by Jay.

Looking at my work a few weeks after is kind of fun, I feel more pleased with it now then when I was working with it, finnaly I feel that I got a idea of how a human looks like, my first attempts were just patethic. :)

ColdWave 15-04-2008 05:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Need some mouth help now ... the nose looks good :)

ColdWave 15-04-2008 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Weyu 15-04-2008 05:28 AM

No No No, the holes are still way to thin, try to stick two fingers in your nose and se how far away they are from eachoter. :)

And yes the mouth is a real horror for all of us that dont have the topology of the face covered yet. I think that it look a bit to flat right now tho, it need to follow the shape of the head. I personaly think its easier when I think that some teeth are supposed to be behind that shape.

I hope it helped a bit, for more detail about the topology check this thread or google. :)

Best of luck!

ColdWave 15-04-2008 05:32 AM

two fingers in your nose ? wtf :D i can't get 2 fingers in my nose ... :blush: this is my size nose (rofl) i will check some topology ... some things .. i work on this mouth about 2 days now .. and still getting this fu*** shape ... :headbang:

Weyu 15-04-2008 06:27 AM

Okey, and well you should post your reference when you refer to it so that we dont have to wonder what kind of human that looks like that.

To me your nose looks like this. :)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...-sharpener.jpg

While a real nose looks like this(And no its not me its just some random pic from google.:))

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...b-Me000039.jpg

And as you can see I'm ofcourse talking about the nostrils.

ColdWave 11-05-2008 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my fist head done ... yeah it's not done :D i will get it into Zbrush and shape it till it gets good forms :)

add critics about everything ... i know the nose wholes are not right ... some more stuffs are not right ..... yeah i'm still newbie in Topology :) but i will learn k w8 C&C i will start my first steps into Zbrush so will be hard i think :):blush: