Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   February Challenge - Speed Machine - Dango (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35064)

Dango77 04-02-2011 03:39 PM

February Challenge - Speed Machine - Dango

Not too sure what I'll try doing, am thinking either a mad max style vehicle that's just bits put together but has some huge turbine engines on it, or go the total other way and do some sort of futuristic vehicle.
I'll decide when I have a little more time to think about it.

Good luck all! Ill be looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

bullet1968 09-02-2011 09:27 PM

Thinking thinking still?

Dango77 11-02-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullet1968 (Post 313989)
Thinking thinking still?

lol....

Nah, just had far too much work on to do anything, but have settled on an idea this afternoon, and have made a start on a proxy version of it to try and get the shape right.
I've decided on a speeder bike type machine, like the ones in Return of the Jedi, so when I've got some more progress made (probably a day or two before the finals date....lol) I'll post some wips.

I'm liking what everyone's been coming up with so far though!

bullet1968 12-02-2011 12:24 AM

LOL I know what you mean about work mate! good luck...sounds sweet.

cheers bullet

Dango77 12-02-2011 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd better post something to show I haven't given up before even starting...lol

Actually made a start on it finally today, between working, when I had a break here and there. Not easy to design two totally different things at the same time! I wont get any more time until monday to do any more, but hopefully I'll make some better progress then.

tweetytunes 12-02-2011 07:26 PM

Very nice too some work from you - the works good aswell

bullet1968 12-02-2011 09:11 PM

I dig the shape mate!! This looks good!

Dango77 12-02-2011 11:07 PM

Cheers guys, glad you're liking it so far.
It feels great to be back after such a long time! I realized earlier it's been about 5 months since I even opened Maya! I am going to do my best to stop letting work run my life and make time for art once again. Lol

Dango77 16-02-2011 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much of an update I'm afraid, was working from home but my spare time got taken up with shooting Necromorphs.... Dead space 2 rocks!
Anyhow, I'll do a bit more tonight when I get in, and a load tomorrow afternoon/night so hopefully a better update then.

tweetytunes 16-02-2011 05:34 PM

Its fun that - this challenge has stopped me playing it at the mo - good game though - even better with the free ps3 version of the wii game - that was nice little bonus.

But are the handle bars really the only update - put the pad down

Dango77 17-02-2011 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah I do need to limit the gaming time and get back on Maya a bit more often, down the pad goes...lol

Got a little more done this evening as I had a couple of hours spare when I got in. I'll try to make a little more progress tomorrow hopefully, just have to see how work goes in the morning and with a bit of luck I may get a few hours in the afternoon to do some more.

Dango77 18-02-2011 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not done a whole lot more yet, just haven't had the time. But I have done this render to see how it's looking, and I quite like how its coming along, just need to get some more of the components in there and I can get on with adding the finer details.

bullet1968 18-02-2011 09:23 PM

Looks good mate, the only thing (IMO) that looks odd is the diameter of the handlebars...personally I think it should be thicker...they look a little weak to me. Maybe give em a bit more shape?? like a bent letter Y so there is an extra bend just where it comes out of the body...say 30° then heads to the rider??

cheers bullet

Chirone 20-02-2011 10:05 AM

looks like it'll be fast :)

Dango77 21-02-2011 09:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cheers Chirone, glad it's looking the way it's meant to then! lol

Thanks for the input Bullet, I had thought the bars were looking a little too thin, but when I fattened them up they looked wrong too. So what I've done is add a cover over the middle section, which would be protection for the brake cables (see bottom image).

Done slightly more to it, still a little way to go though.

bullet1968 21-02-2011 11:06 AM

They look a lot better mate. I think from memory though...those kind of bars are more suited to a chopper...cruising bike...where as the fast horses have the 'clip' ons...I could be wrong though. So your bars would be higher up (ie rotated with pivit point on body)...and the 'clip' ons would be where you have yours now...still looks good though.

Here this is what I mean....see the 'ape hangers' thats what you have but horizontal (I had the same trouble on my skybike). The Ducati has the race clips.....

cheers bullet

Dango77 21-02-2011 02:31 PM

Bullet:
I actually wanted it to have a Chopper look, so am glad that worked out! lol
I was going for a mix of the speeder bikes from Return of the Jedi, and the sort of bikes you get in 2000AD comics. And I mostly wanted a very laid back look, so when in flight itd either look like the rider was just chilling out, or kind of pulling on the reigns of a horse, if you get what I mean.
Anyhow, out of time to make any major changes, so I'll just have to bite the bullet (excuse the pun...lol) and just concentrate on the detailing. cheers for the input though mate.

bullet1968 21-02-2011 08:39 PM

LOL no worries mate

Perfecto 22-02-2011 02:13 AM

I didn't notice a completed concept at the start of your entry but now that you have more progress, I'm really loving the design. It has a nice look and feel to it. Nice work.

tweetytunes 22-02-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfecto (Post 314686)
I didn't notice a completed concept at the start of your entry

Is there ??? where.

See what great work you do when you put the pad down - loving the details and the shape - quick work aswell

Dango77 22-02-2011 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers Perfecto, and cheers Tweety, I didn't fully put the pad down though.....lol

Did some renders to see if it was looking alright from various angles, and I'm happy with it so far. Just hope I get some more time before the end of the week/weekend to finish off any little bits I can, it's meant to have landing gear of sorts, that folds out of a hatch underneath. I have the hatch in place, just not built the leg etc. If I get time I will.
Here's the renders from various angles for now anyway.

tweetytunes 22-02-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dango77 (Post 314741)
Cheers Perfecto, and cheers Tweety, I didn't fully put the pad down though.....lol

I`m trying to get mine done by friday so I can turn my attention to bulletstorm - the demo has had me hooked all week. Not fully feeling dead space 2 yet maybe beause my GF hired it for me on the PS3 and I played and loved the first on my 360. Will blast away at it once I get some money I think.

Its looking very nice indeed, nice to see it from the other views - just keep doing what your doing

bullet1968 23-02-2011 12:27 AM

Looking good mate...love the shape...LOL Im getting more and more disallusioned with you high end guys and your fantastic models...my boat seems kinda plain LOL....I assume the 'wings' extend in flight Dango??

murambi 23-02-2011 10:37 AM

now this is a speed machine great model Dango

Dango77 23-02-2011 11:50 AM

Tweety:
Yeah, I thought that I may get put off by Dead Space 2 for the same reason, I have the first one still on the 360, but I'm really loving number 2, playing it with headphones on in the dark really gets you into it!
Not tried out Bulletstorm yet, may have to try out the demo now you've mentioned it.
Thanks again for the comments, glad you're liking it!

Bullet:
Just keep practising mate, you'll only get better! Yep, the wings move out in flight, not exactly extended, just move to horizontal position at highest speed, closing in when slower.
Cheers also for the comments, they all help and are appreciated!

Murambi:
Thanks, I'm glad it's coming across as a fast machine, I was worried about that side of it but you've put my mind more at ease!

bullet1968 23-02-2011 12:01 PM

I will get better mate.....I just need the time...LOL

Dango77 23-02-2011 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bullet:
I'm sure you will mate, and thanks, you mentioning the folding wings got me thinking and I decided to spend a bit of time working on the mechanism for them. I'm quite pleased with how it came out, so cheers for giving my brain a kick start! Haha
Done for the day now as I have to go out, and not got much more time over the next few days, so I hope I'll get the last few bits I had planned done before Monday. Fingers crossed! lol

bullet1968 23-02-2011 09:43 PM

Suweeet mate...LOL thats ok...here to help...looks bloody good the way you did it too mate. Yeh I know what you mean about time!! I wasnt meant to be working this weekend but it looks like I have to...dammit...even less time on Maya...gotta hate work LOL.

cheers bullet

mastone 23-02-2011 10:10 PM

nice detailing

tweetytunes 23-02-2011 11:41 PM

Apart from some details on the dash what more do you really have to do - looking mighty fine (and finnshed) to me

Mayaniac 24-02-2011 01:16 AM

Nice. This looks really good. The only thing that strikes me as odd, is how the nose, the wings and the engine seem very hard-edged, but the midsection seems very organic in contrast. But it doesn't take away from the design... maybe some hard edges along the body would tie it in. Might make it look even faster too...

Great work though.

Dango77 24-02-2011 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tweety:
There's not too much more that I have planned, it was just a few little things, tread on the accelerator pedals (now done), cushioning on the seat (also now done), a little more detailing on the panels and maybe some rivets (done part of, will do the rivets if I have time), also I've now changed the handle bar angle so it's even more like a choppers. Not going to do anything on the dash, it'll be a touch screen LED display, I tried out some different things there and they just looked wrong.
There was a couple of other ideas I had, like the landing gear housing and the landing gear itself, but I may just make the housing and cover and leave the gear until after the comp. I will also have a go at texturing this at some point when work calms down a bit!

Steve:
I wondered why nobody had mentioned the hard edge and curvy mix already, it was done on purpose (obviously...lol), I set myself a little mini challenge at the start to see if I could pull off a mix of the two without it looking totally crap, and think I've done a half decent job of it, well, I hope I have. I did listen though, and have added a slightly more defined edge along the main curve of the middle section, probably not that noticeable but hopefully it'll add to the overall look.
Thanks for the nice words too mate!

Not a great update here, but I guess the changes will become less and less noticeable as I'm working on all the smallest details at the moment, this render has the seat covers done though, am quite happy how they turned out.

Dango77 24-02-2011 01:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the bigger sizes of the renders.... Just noticed you can't really see it that well on the smaller one with the different angles, not sure whether to do a one shot final render, or an image with multiple.
Have to give that some thought.

Dango77 24-02-2011 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They probably won't even be visible in the final render, but I've started adding them anyway, riveting it is not....lol

bullet1968 24-02-2011 10:55 PM

mate that looks bloody nice! a good entry for sure mate!

cheers bullet

CGWolfgang 25-02-2011 04:49 AM

Wow I love the detail you're adding in.

Jay 25-02-2011 08:16 AM

Great job dango.....

J

Dango77 25-02-2011 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the kind words people, I'm very happy everyone likes it!
Hopefully I'll have all the smallest details done by the end of the day, I'm trying to fit it in around designing gardens but I tend to get carried away when I do that and get half the amount of work done that I'm meant to...lol
Plus I might end up with a garden design with a distinct sci-fi feel to it...hahaha

THX1138 26-02-2011 01:39 AM

This is one of the entries that I think has a really good chance of winning. It's got it all. It, looks cool, it looks powerful, and it looks fast, and it's highly detailed. I think you should texture it after the challenge, or if you have the time, do it for the challenge.

Dango77 26-02-2011 11:35 AM

Thanks THX!
I will texture this at some point, I won't have any time before Monday, but I'll definitely give it a go afterwards. Although it is the weekend I won't have much time at all before the finals are due in, spending it with my girlfriend and then I'll be at a job all day Monday so it's looking like mines pretty much done.
Maybe I'll get an hour or two an Monday evening to play about before I post the final image.