Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Huge UV mapping problem! (I need help FAST) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26689)

24-06-2007 01:17 AM

Huge UV mapping problem! (I need help FAST)

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I sat down to do my tut for today (G.I. Texturing), IÕm on part 3, and pretty much all of the UVing has been done through cylindrical mapping. When I finish sewing my ear to the head I zoomed out. ThatÕs when I saw the major problem. For some reason it shows 2 UVs for the ear. I zoom out some more, and 2 other parts that I had UVed seem to have been ÒduplicatedÓ too.

IÕve never come along a problem like this. IÕve deleted my history, ran an OSS, done everything that I could think of, and it doesnÕt seem to be helping.

IÕve even come across another problem. I have the wireframe on shaded turned off, and yet it still shows (some of) the wireframe.

IÕve posted some pics to show what IÕm talking about.

I would really appreciate a fast answer, because IÕve got a bunch of other stuff to do today, and I donÕt know if I could do it, because this will be on my mind all day.

-Jr.Who
:beer:

24-06-2007 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 2 (zoomed out one):

24-06-2007 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 3 (weird wireframe):

Joopson 24-06-2007 01:56 AM

try this:

convert to subdivs, then enter into polygon edit mode, then go back to standard mode and convert back to polygons.

this is caused when you either undo your conversion, or you convert to polygons without exiting polygon mode.

24-06-2007 02:03 AM

So I converted it to SubDs. Now if I understand you correctly, you mean the thing where I right click on the SubD and go to where it says Polygon (or Standard)? Well, I did that, and it isnÕt there! :headbang:

publicFunction 24-06-2007 02:29 AM

Looks to me like you may have duplicated the entire geometry. Do a CleanUp operation on your model (ensure that the non manifold option it ticked)

24-06-2007 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
R@nSiD,

I just did that, but it didnÕt help.

Here are the options I had on:

publicFunction 24-06-2007 02:35 AM

Reset those settings and just tick the non manifold tick box and then run it again.

24-06-2007 02:46 AM

NothingÔs happening. :shakehead If you PM me your email address, IÕd be glad to email you the file.

publicFunction 24-06-2007 04:12 AM

Just lookin at your model and the news is not good.

It seems you have got about 5 extrusions of the same geo on top of each other... This usually comes from extruding on error.

If you still have the full history, find the extrusions. Theres not a lot I can do to fix that appart from going from face to face anf manually delete the addition faces and then apply the texture again.

Radical Edward 24-06-2007 04:47 AM

If you're using maya 8.0 this is a bug when you undo a polygon->subdiv; you end up with a duplicate lot of geometry in the same place. pain in the backside.

if I recall, you can get rid of a layer by paint selecting all the faces and then deleting (since it only paint selects a single layer)

24-06-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Just lookin at your model and the news is not good.

It seems you have got about 5 extrusions of the same geo on top of each other... This usually comes from extruding on error.

If you still have the full history, find the extrusions.

If youÕre talking about the history like when you merge some vertices or cut a face, I delete that every once in a while.

Quote:

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Theres not a lot I can do to fix that appart from going from face to face anf manually delete the addition faces and then apply the texture again.
Holy crap. Whatever you are talking about just inspired me to do something. IÕve gone in the UV editor into face mode, selected a face, hit select shell, and then deleted those faces (unless the actual faces would disappear off of my model in the perspective view.

It fixed my problem, and thereÕs only one setback: I have to re-sew the ear to the head. IÕm sure I can cope with that. ;)

Thanks a lot for all your help! :attn:

24-06-2007 05:29 AM

I would have another problem right after I solve a major oneÉÉ

Now I know that IÕve seen this one before, but I forgot how to fix it. For some reason some of the vertices got ÒunmergedÓ around some areas. Well, I tried to re-merge them, but to no avail. IÕve tried performing a cleanup on my mesh and all that, but that doesnÕt help either. For some reason it will only select 1 of the 2 vertices that I want to merge when I try to select them.

Any ideas? :confused: