Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   so glad to be back modeling:) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14780)

anita 20-12-2004 06:33 PM

so glad to be back modeling:)

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I miss you all!..I just finished my last semester and hopefully I am graduating .
now at least I dont need to deal anymore with history math etcc...all the things i dont care about.
I already feel rusty with maya , but i decided am going to dedicate my next few weeks and patch model a head of brando.
I checked some of your work and I must say you all got so much better!! ......hope to hear from you
kisses
Anita

Jay 20-12-2004 08:31 PM

Hey Anita
I'm not one for patch modelling but this is looking promising. Dont forget to keep those spans low as possible. Look forward to the rest

_J

anita 20-12-2004 08:40 PM

yea Jango its a whole thing attach detach ..etc..its crasy but
i like being able to do stuff in all ways

Jay 20-12-2004 08:45 PM

Cool, a bit of variety never hurts does it!!:p

_J

RickStefani 20-12-2004 09:09 PM

Great start and welcome back.

anita 20-12-2004 09:45 PM

thankxxx Rick yeah now am done with school thats it..!! if ever i have to take classes again it would b for this stuff!!!!

anita 20-12-2004 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
as usual the image references are screwy ..uhh sorry i felt something was wrong with the head.I had already brought the eyes closer since u notice that the only profile i have of him is far from perfect.so i am using deformers now to bring the ear closer as weel instead of redoing the curves..

anita 20-12-2004 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have not complicated myself with a lot of curves at the begining just the basics...I tried using the birail to get surfaces but it droves me nuts coz i think the curves have to be touching instead i used boundary ..much better

anita 21-12-2004 12:06 AM

this is gona b a pain in the b*8 but thats the challenge right :)

Pixelwelder 21-12-2004 10:01 AM

COOL!!!!classea are over :)
i wish i could have time to have classes for maya too.

Anyway i think you are in the right way and looking god what you are doing so far.

Helder Real

anita 21-12-2004 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thankx PixW.I just noticed yeasterday that my curves where kinda not clean so i went crasy and restarted from the begining .what i mean not clean is that if the curve points are not evenly alligned when u birail the isoparms are all over the place and it doesnt give a nice surface.i need a clean model i wana add it to my real

anita 21-12-2004 08:44 PM

the neck was also tilted forward which made him look more like creature..any coments from u guys would be great later on.

One good thing that happened today ..I almost thought it was my graphics sard that went bad
coz everytime i rendered with maya i had some kind of like a rainbow effect on my surface ..well if any of u ever had or have this problemm...i found the solution! its a stupid thing ..for some reason my pc image resolution went down from 32 bit to 16..so that was it i put it back to 32! ..duuhhhh

anita 21-12-2004 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i duplicate the nose after birail so i can sculp little details as i go on...then delete the detail..i'm just telling u guys this so that if anyone out there is interested in patch modeling maybe this would help//:rolleyes:

NextDesign 21-12-2004 11:38 PM

Looks nice mate. Keep going!

anita 22-12-2004 12:42 AM

hey Peltra nice to se u around!

NextDesign 22-12-2004 03:45 AM

You too mate!

anita 22-12-2004 04:37 AM

the mouth area is killing me coz i wana model kinda closed but not ..so u can have the inner part maybe i should open it up a bit then once its attached pull some hulls ..ugh :(

NextDesign 22-12-2004 05:28 AM

Why are you putting yourself through all this pain? Make it in polys! Then convert to sub-ds!

anita 22-12-2004 05:42 AM

ughh...thats the problem it has to be patched..otherwise i wont get the job :( if ever

anita 22-12-2004 06:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok my efforts are pating off at least i got it to birail nicely with an inner mouth.at this point if i can do the eyes now properly i think attaching and detaching should be a pieace of cake then of course sculpting details...
cant wait to finish it.

anita 22-12-2004 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:bored:

RubberChicken 22-12-2004 08:57 AM

W0w thats quite amazing for patch modeling :) Nice to see sombody finally modelling Brando, he be so c00l :p
Hang in there and dont give up!

anita 25-12-2004 08:48 PM

Merry xmas

Merry Xmas,.. to everyone..ugh just had a nu baby in the family:eek:

Jay 26-12-2004 11:48 AM

Anita
Merry Christmas too. A bit of advice on the mouth, model it open slightly it will be alot easier, then once you are happy then close it using a blendshape, and if you dont need the shape delete the history and it will stay shut.

_J

blomkaal 26-12-2004 08:24 PM

Merry X-Mas and grats on the baby

If you don't mind me asking, why does it have to be en polys? You can get the exact same result from using sub-d's, and IMO they are a lot easier to handle... Besides, you can change the levels of a sub-d object and thereby adding detail and still keep a low polycount...

Other than that, this is probably one of the best attempt at a nurbs face I've ever seen so far... :tup:

vladimirjp 26-12-2004 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blomkaal
Merry X-Mas and grats on the baby
You can get the exact same result from using sub-d's, and IMO they are a lot easier to handle... Besides, you can change the levels of a sub-d object and thereby adding detail and still keep a low polycount...

subDs in maya are not easy to handle for anything.

and by adding levels to the subD object you are in turn adding polys.
this is not visible on the mesh, but thats just by adding more polys the subD can be subdivided.

a subD displayed at level 3 is a poly smooth 2x
and increasing the levels only increases the poly count.

Jay 26-12-2004 09:50 PM

Dudes

It has to be done in patches as Anita is going for a job. Sub D are easy to handle its just a type of algorythm applied to polys at base level but I would advise against level edits without a doubt unless you are keeping the model as a subD surface once its finished. I would just cut in the necessary details at base level then jus go back and forth between SD and Poly til you're satisfied then convert, I usually convert at Level 1 over Division of 2.

Happy New year
_J

vladimirjp 26-12-2004 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jango
Dudes

It has to be done in patches as Anita is going for a job. Sub D are easy to handle its just a type of algorythm applied to polys at base level but I would advise against level edits without a doubt unless you are keeping the model as a subD surface once its finished. I would just cut in the necessary details at base level then jus go back and forth between SD and Poly til you're satisfied then convert, I usually convert at Level 1 over Division of 2.

Happy New year
_J

i'm nt talking about anita's gig, just clarifing that subD in maya are not the best thing to work with.

type "Subdivision Surfaces limitations" in the help docs to see what i mean, or in the MR docs to see MR's limitation with subDs in maya.
i'd avoid patch modeling in every way, as it is non-intuitive and a slow process, and it too is difficult to handle on the basis of animation, rigging or texturing. and subD or poly can give similar results if modeled well enough. but a job's a job.
good luck with it.
:)

Jay 26-12-2004 10:44 PM

Indeed, I understood every word of what you meant, just making clear as I have explained SDs a thousand times over to quite a few people, I've worked with SD at work on a daily basis for the last four years, accept no substitute!!! But yeah the MR stuff is a bit of a pain, but we end up using polys on finals anyway so no worries.

Patch modelling is a real bummer to do these days especially now subs are kind of the norm now. Theres one advantage to it though (patch modelling), if you do it right without too much fuss, your edge flow will be pretty much bang on.

Hey Vlad whats your job by the way, always wanted to ask

_J

anita 27-12-2004 12:03 AM

thankx jango..ugh i had to spend xmas at the hospital the baby came a bit early ..i mean my sister in laws..and since none of our parents are here i pretty much needed to help..eventhough all i could think off is brando..coz before i left i was kinda finding it tricky to sculpt on the surfece some details and i found that weird becose on angelina which was in poly it was pretty easy..
thankx blom too.and yeah i guess u got ur answer for the sbd part....after brando i bought an alias book where theres a car tut modeled in subd ..i mean its a basic one but still id like to give it a try.
thankx vlad...well now lets go back to this again.Gosh! too many stuff going on ..i love xmas and babys but i sure need to get this done ..so working now..chears!

anita 27-12-2004 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i think i will go nuts by the time this ends:(

anita 27-12-2004 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:bored:

anita 27-12-2004 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just some reference..

anita 27-12-2004 11:24 AM

z nu baby..

1 Attachment(s)
waaaaa my nu niece.

anita 27-12-2004 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
;)

blomkaal 27-12-2004 04:01 PM

Jango & Vlad: I guess that just shows why you guy are so much cooler than me, but I'm always happy to learn, especially from people as talented as you two! :D
All I was trying to say was that I find it easier to add detail to sub-d's than nurbs, but that's probably just because I haven't worked much with nurbs and therefor find the poly/sub-d method a lot easier...

Anita, cute kid (my sister has two but they're 7 and 4 now), and keep up the good work on the model :)

Jay 27-12-2004 05:14 PM

If its driving you nuts now wait til you get the job, FULL ON PRESSURE!!!!
You'll have to just do it basically and try not to worry to much. Just chill and you'll be fine but dont kill ya self over it.

Thats a cute little girl there, reminded me of holding my little girl 5minutes after she was born, yum!! God, I'm losing my hard man of Maya image now, right back to it!!

Blomkaal; I'm too old to be cool, but old enough to be wise:cool:
You'll definately find it easier to ad detail to a sub or poly , no doubt about it.

Oh and Anita, do have to texture this too?? As theres gonna be some pain there on a nurb head, just thought I'd warn you in advance
_J

anita 27-12-2004 07:14 PM

Thankx Blom!..yea i like add creases in sub. but hey i can cheat too if i want i convert a birail i had done to subd then back to nurbs.but the main part now is to sculpt .bcoz those curves alone dont do much.
jango...I have no idea how to texture nurbs..but its not required for this.

anita 29-12-2004 10:15 AM

GOSH actually am learning more as i go along..but hmm this would have been over long time if it was in polys..
i havent given up..:bored:

anita 29-12-2004 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok just checking this front view i think its better than the first one i posted but the jaw needs to be bigger..