Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   maya lagging (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35028)

omegaend 29-01-2011 09:07 AM

maya lagging

Hi greetings i facing a problem which is while i am modeling or texturing in maya software
at the meantime the maya keeping lagging i wonder what was happened
pls guide me tq:nerd:

bullet1968 29-01-2011 10:57 AM

In waht way is it lagging mate??? as you model or as you view and turn the model around?

omegaend 01-02-2011 07:30 AM

all,:playfull: when i click face i want to select few faces it will like stop fews sec then proceed as well as when i turning the model

gster123 01-02-2011 07:58 AM

If your model was fine and has slowley started to lag your model might have build up quite a history when modelling, this can cause maya to lag as it is processing all this in the background.

To delete the history select the model and go to Edit -> Delete by Type -> History.

This clears the history and should speed Maya up.

omegaend 01-02-2011 10:21 AM

hi gster123 thank you for u advice.. i appreciate besides this matter do u have another way to make it more smooth??

Gen 04-02-2011 08:49 PM

Another thing that can bog down the modeling panels is smooth preview being used on a lot of objects.

Also if your scene is getting complex and you don't feel like making display layers for everything then you can use this script I made. It works on components as well as objects. You can put it on a shelf or make a hotkey or whatever. I went the hotkey route.

//----------------------------------------------

{

//--get panel that has focus.
string $currentPanel = `getPanel -wf`;

//--if none available, get panel under mouse pointer.
if ($currentPanel == "")
$currentPanel = `getPanel -up`;

//--make sure panel is a modeling panel.
string $panelType = `getPanel -to $currentPanel`;

//--if so, carry on.
if ($panelType == "modelPanel"){

//--query if isolation is active.
int $isolateCheck = `isolateSelect -q -state $currentPanel`;

//--if its on, turn it off pweez :3.
if ($isolateCheck == 1){
isolateSelect -state 0 $currentPanel;
//--if not, turn it on.
}else{
enableIsolateSelect $currentPanel 1;
isoSelectAutoAddNewObjs $currentPanel 1;
isolateSelect -state 1 $currentPanel;
isolateSelect -update $currentPanel;
}
}

}

//--------------------------------------------------------------

omegaend 05-02-2011 03:50 AM

hi gect im less know abt mel can u help me perhaps step by step abt the scripts u gv me.. tq in billion gect

Gen 05-02-2011 09:02 PM

Maybe I should have made myself clearer. The script hides/unhides everything that you do not have selected.

Copy the script into Maya's Script Editor, highlight it and middle mouse drag it to a shelf or get into the Hotkey Editor and make a new hotkey and paste the script there, if you don't know how to make a custom hotkey --->http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya...umber=d0e92970

bullet1968 06-02-2011 01:21 AM

Ok mate...you seem a little confused? first off what OS are you running and what are your system specs...Maya uses a fair bit of resources when the geo gets complex...so post your specs as well.
As Genny has pointed out delete the history and use the script she posted to hide things that dont need to be there. Also if you group the model correctly or put them in their respective layers you can hide them through the outliner...by selecting the un needed parts in outliner and using 'ctrl h'...this will hide what you dont need to see.

Also how dense have you made the model...mesh wise. If you have smoothed the model too much Maya will take time to calculate all of these points...

Here is s trick (thanks to LOZ) that also might help....got to Display>Heads Up Display>Frame Rate...and tick it...this will display the frame rate the PC is using while you model on the bottom right of screen.

Then in the viewport go Shading>Interactive Shading and click on the options box..then make sure the 'Interactive Shading Mode' is set to bounding box...then hit close. Then again go Shading and just click on Interactive shading to turn it on. Now when you pan/tumble the model should revert back to a wireframe and low poly..this will take less resources...when you stop moving it will turn into the high poly and textures...try that.

Cheers bullet

omegaend 09-02-2011 01:11 PM

hi bullet 1968 soli for late reply
my spec is core i5 , 4gb ram, 1gb ati graphic card
my polygon only have 18k, render setting is in default mode, i using preview smooth mode which i just press "5" i delete all type of history ald i din hide any part of my model, i have 4 layer which is img plane, car body and car mirror and car tire.i using low res texture to put on my car as a result in rendering it just like freezing the time couldnt render at all need to restart maya.

thanks for you guide i would like to try where is the viewport?

bullet1968 10-02-2011 05:08 AM

Hmmmmmm....'5' is not smooth preview...have you re assigned hotkeys? Smooth preview is '3' on the number keypad...not the normal numbers on keyboard. Well your system has plenty of power...have you played with the render settings??

omegaend 10-02-2011 11:18 AM

haha soli my bad i means "3" the rental setting i put it on default setting only for the preset i make hd720

bullet1968 10-02-2011 11:26 AM

send me your model mate...and I will have a look at it ok??

cheers bullet

omegaend 10-02-2011 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok here is my car in texture testing progress:D

bullet1968 10-02-2011 11:34 PM

Well it doesnt look too bad??? send me your saved .mb file if you can? I cant see the problems LOL I need to open it

omegaend 11-02-2011 03:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
soli for late reply, is ok this my car model and all 3 maps

omegaend 11-02-2011 03:53 PM

ei soli how to send mb file to u, bullet 1968

bullet1968 12-02-2011 12:24 AM

You can attach a zip file if its not too big mate, same place you attach images just below the 'reply' window.

cheers bullet

omegaend 12-02-2011 02:41 AM

hi i attach v zip file ald.. tq

bullet1968 12-02-2011 03:03 AM

It didnt come through mate...do you have dropbox or fileshare?

omegaend 12-02-2011 03:20 AM

/ah.. em i don have how to apply dropbox or fileshare?

omegaend 12-02-2011 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
soli bullet just now i using rar instead of zip file..
now is ok ald pls have a look tq

bullet1968 12-02-2011 06:23 AM

well I open it and everything is fine!!! it moves ok...no lag nothing??? I have not changed your settings at all either....wow sorry mate..I will have another look later..I cant seem to get problems

bullet1968 12-02-2011 06:59 AM

I have had another look mate...I have NO lag or anyhting BUT it locks Maya up when I try to render....try deleting all of the textures or save and export them...give the model ONE basic texture whilst you model....I think it may have something to do with it. Open your scene and export as an ascii (.ma) then open a new scene and import the .ma....DONT apply 1000's of textures..keep it normal grey lambert...if you want to break the model up in colours just use simple lamberts...not too many...see if this will make a difference mate.

cheers bullet

omegaend 12-02-2011 09:17 AM

hi bullet i try low res texture like 700*600 and lambert material in ascii file the result of rendering still same like locking the rendering:help:

bullet1968 12-02-2011 09:31 AM

Did you save the file or export file as .ma??? open scene..then export selection (your car ONLY) then open new scene and import NEW .ma. DO NOT import textures etc etc...just tru as plain default lambert, turn OFF Mental Ray...use Maya software...see what happens...if you have trouble I will re-open your file you sent me and send back ok?

omegaend 12-02-2011 10:57 AM

i export selection and import my plain model as u told me. i using the maya s/w is rendering normally once i switch to mental ray same problem occur again.
u means i need to send my exporting file to u??

bullet1968 12-02-2011 11:22 AM

There must be something wrong in MR for it to be locking up....I would concentrate on just building the model for now mate...really it doesnt need to be textured just yet. Finish the model and then we can work on this problem, I had the same problem with my Spitfire model...something is a miss. I will have another look at it tomorrow mate and go through all of the MR settings. I am batch rendering at present so cant use my PC. If I am still awake I will re-open it and save and try some things for you ok?? Give me an hour or so

bullet1968 12-02-2011 12:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok mate...after a lot of pain and time I have re organised your model. I have only joined the 2 halves together to get a feel for it...delete on half...otherwise I can send back the original for you. Basically delete ALL of your textures...you have mental ray set on HD 720...I changed that back to 640x480...low as possible and then applied a new PLAIN lambert to the whole model.

I then tested it in Maya software..worked fine then bumped it into MR...it worked fine...I then put in a spotlight and IBL for lights and it still worked fine. As I suggested mate DO NOT try and texture, apply maps or ANYTHING while you are modelling...its just not worth mucking around with...as my friend Tweety says..concentrate on the model...I mess with ONE colour I have for a model...thats it...nothing else really.

So try my new file and see how you go

cheers bullet

Ash3010 12-02-2011 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know i've jumped on this tread relatively late on this thread but I downloaded the file nevertheless and it even runs perfectly fine on my laptop, all i did was assign a car paint shader and a blinn to test the MR render and it rendered first time (picture attached).

I see bullet has revamped your scene and render settings so hopefully that has worked for you, but on a separate note may I suggest you splitting up your car panels rather than it being one piece of geometry, you'll find it a lot easer to work that way and your mesh will be a lot cleaner :)

omegaend 12-02-2011 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi bullet i did try something like lighting, hdri and rendering in mr it works
but i just confuse.. what problem with the texture as it forbid me to put on it
whats going on abt the texture because i kind of wanna make rusty look car, my robot can y my car cant..:(

omegaend 12-02-2011 01:19 PM

hi ash3010 all those setting like u mention to me, i did try also works well in mr.
however when i try texture(even i used low res 700*500) on it, and render in mr it become a problem cant render.i just wondering whats happen on my car texture because i want to make a rusty car...:( my robot can make it and my car cannot..

bullet1968 12-02-2011 01:35 PM

Yeh mine locked up first time Ash....I didnt try that...I think Omega is trying too much too quick. I grouped the whole thing dude...I didnt have time to edit it. Thanks for dropping in though mate! Got me stuffed Omega...maybe Ash has a better idea....sorry mate Im at my limit.

cheers bullet

Ash3010 12-02-2011 02:57 PM

Ok I understand.
@Bullet mine locked up too now.

Ill have a look later when i'm at home.

omegaend 12-02-2011 03:21 PM

hi bullet thanks for your time to help and guide me but i think i too slow ald, i just start learnt abt geometric obj and not complete yet and organic obj i din even start because i wan try to settle my problem b4 i can move to new thing. Ash thank you for ur guidance. i much appreciate:happy:;)

Ash3010 12-02-2011 03:45 PM

Not a problem. If you are just starting out I would recommend the following points to work on:
  • Refresh on what Bullet said earlier about always finishing your model before playing around with textures, skipping out steps is the downfall of a lot of people.
  • Research the various techniques for builing cars, my personal favorite is, mapping out Nurbs curves, lofting the panels then converting them to a low poly mesh. This way you have a quality edge flow but your panels are different pieces of geometry (as car panels are in reality).
  • after you are happy with your model, prepare your UV's, extremely important if you intent on adding additional specific detail such as rust, stickers, and mud etc

I may well start from scratch over the next week and put a tutorial together for a shader network dealing with car panel rust, its something I've not really looked into before. If you haven't solved your issue by then i'll post it here for you.

Gen 12-02-2011 07:28 PM

It's not your map or shader. The probllem is your UV layout (it's messy, a lot of overlapping) and your shader has texture connections, unsmoothed it renders fine, soon as I hit 3 and render, it gets to about 95% done and crashes. I can see how the problem didn't come up with Maya software renderer because it doesn't take adavantage of the smooth preview.

The problem went away when I :

1. I slapped an automatic mapping on it.

or

2. Broke all texture connections on the shader.

edit: forgot the "or" just so you know you don't have to do both :)

omegaend 13-02-2011 02:57 AM

thanks ash i will try settle my problem
Gect is it i rearrange my uv layout then texture problem will settle??

Gen 15-02-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaend
thanks ash i will try settle my problem
Gect is it i rearrange my uv layout then texture problem will settle??

Yes at some point you will need to redo your UV layout, that seems to be the source of the problem.

MakingPicsSlowly 19-10-2012 11:18 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by gster123 (Post 313561)
If your model was fine and has slowley started to lag your model might have build up quite a history when modelling, this can cause maya to lag as it is processing all this in the background.

To delete the history select the model and go to Edit -> Delete by Type -> History.

This clears the history and should speed Maya up.

Thank you, I've been wondering why that is....

a little random but thanks anyways!