Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-12-2011 , 03:57 PM

SSS texture

Hi, i am new to using sub surface scattering and i wanted to apply it to my character. I tried placing my texture in the overall color slot but ended up looking weirdish or not showing up. I wonder where to put the textures in?

# 2 28-12-2011 , 05:34 PM
Technical Director
Hi Choo,

Please see the following tutorials here.

Skin Shading with Mental Ray Chapter One: Working with the Fast-Skin Material
Skin Shading with Mental Ray Chapter Two: Mapping Color, SSS Layers and Bump
Skin Shading with Mental Ray Chapter Two: Chapter Three: Layering Specularity and Reflections

That should give you all the information you need user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 28-12-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Fixed link
# 3 28-12-2011 , 06:54 PM
Lifetime Member
Interesting topic. Thank you NextDesign, but the link you provided only shows a list of tutorials.
I don't see the mentioned chapters. user added image

# 4 28-12-2011 , 07:17 PM
Technical Director
Ahh, sorry. I fixed the link, try it again.

# 5 28-12-2011 , 10:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Lets just blatantly advertise a rival site!! Duh!!!

Jay

# 6 28-12-2011 , 10:41 PM
The thin red line
I know what you are saying Jay but one of the things I love about this site is you can direct other poeple to other site to get the help they need, you can also say that a totorial on this site can helpuser added image.......dave

# 7 28-12-2011 , 11:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah I get it too Dave...but Gnomon is the biggest competitor so.....bad for business etc...free sites are fine

Jay

# 8 29-12-2011 , 12:59 AM
Thanks! NextDesign

# 9 29-12-2011 , 03:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Thank you guys!

Gnomon are good if you already know your way around the software. Otherwise it creates more confusion than help for a new beginner. Simplymaya goes from zero to hero and I'm learning tons here.

Cheers,

# 10 29-12-2011 , 05:13 AM
Technical Director

Lets just blatantly advertise a rival site!! Duh!!!

Jay

While I understand what you're saying; we do not have a tutorial that goes into this amount of depth. If we did; I would obviously point to that. You will also see that this is pretty much one of the most recommended tutorials out there. So instead of a user going to another forum, and looking there; which detracts from us; and may leave that user with a feeling that we couldn't help them; I feel it's better to point to something like this; as the user is more likely to come back, as we've helped them; not beat-around-the-bush. With them coming back, we can then, hopefully, recommend one of our own tutorials. If we can't, then hopefully that user will at least let others know about their positive interactions with the site. Which in turn, could actually increase the number of users, therefore increasing the possibility of those new members to purchase our materials; which is, of course, good for business.

If you still believe it to be an issue, I will of course take it down.

Last edited by NextDesign; 29-12-2011 at 05:20 AM.