Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-03-2012 , 04:33 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Caustics/displacement map issue

I'm trying to render an under water scene using caustics. I have a plane with an ocean texture attached to the displacement of the shading group of a diametric material and a spotlight which emits photons through this plane.
The problem is I have a strange grid pattern appearing (as well as the intended effect). The squares of the grid pattern seem to get smaller as I increase the resolution of the plane but they are still visible and my computer can't cope with a denser mesh. So is there any way to add greater detail to the displacement without actually adding geometry or is there another thing causing this issue to do with the caustic settings?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-03-2012 , 09:21 AM
Hi,

are you using mental ray's subdivision proxy attribute? I think it's essential when you're rendering displacement maps with mental ray.

gubar

# 3 30-03-2012 , 10:59 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Hi,

are you using mental ray's subdivision proxy attribute? I think it's essential when you're rendering displacement maps with mental ray.

gubar

I'm not and I didn't know it existed. Should do the trick; thanks user added image

# 4 30-03-2012 , 12:31 PM
Hi,

sorry I meant to say subdivision approximation:,

should be tuts on the site or elsewhere on the net on this,

gubar

# 5 30-03-2012 , 01:52 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Hi,

sorry I meant to say subdivision approximation:,

should be tuts on the site or elsewhere on the net on this,

gubar

The proxy actually helped the issue a bit but this is fantastic, thanks a lot.
What did take hours to render now only takes a couple of minutes user added image

# 6 30-03-2012 , 05:20 PM
You're welcome, glad it's working user added image

As an aside, using displacement maps in other renderers (like renderman or mantra) is so much more efficient than MR, both in terms of setup and render-time performance.

# 7 31-03-2012 , 11:02 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I have a new problem, rendering the caustics with subsurface scattering take far too long. I looked into rendering different passes but I couldn't find anything relevant.

# 8 31-03-2012 , 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
You could probably fake the caustics by using an animated texture on the spotlight.

- Genny