Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-07-2011 , 10:05 PM

rim-116 rolling air frame missile launcher

I needed a break from trying to come up with a consistent way to cut holes and create insets into curved surface meshes so I took a small detour from the bearcat. This is a project perfectly suited to maya as it just involved stuffing boxes into other boxes for the most part and there is no intricate hole cutting!

This is my version of a RIM-116 rolling air frame missile launcher (RAM) based on a tutorial by Ben Tate. My version is considerably more detailed. I cannot really comment on the tutorial other then it is for 3DS max and I got bored about 15 minutes in and just ran off on a 15 hour binge until I arrived here. The modeling is 99% done just a few more googaws and doodads to add.

Sorry about the blue background I just cranked this image out and had to run to pick up the dog from the groomer.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 08-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.
# 2 27-07-2011 , 10:37 PM
The thin red line
ctbam looks like this is finished or are you going to texture it...........dave

# 3 27-07-2011 , 11:33 PM
Lifetime Member
F*****g hell ct....that is bloody cool man!! I like it, actually the blue is nice

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 27-07-2011 , 11:42 PM
It has a bit more detailing to go so it's mot 100% done but 90+. I would have posted more in progress shots but I knocked it out to quickly. I save a lot of intermediate files, so when time permits I will go back and grab some shots.

The greatest challenge for me was those coils of cable at the base. In the end I came up with a way to duplicate them perfectly. I started with two nurbs circles (one vertical and one at a diagonal) and then split the circles at the top and bottom and then attached one end of the vertical half loop to the adjacent diagonal one creating a custom helix that perfectly matched the holes. Then I just extruded a nurbs circle along the path.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 28-07-2011 at 12:17 AM.
# 5 27-07-2011 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber
looks hot man.

please post wireframe of the box that holds the rockets?

# 6 28-07-2011 , 12:29 AM
Here is a wire render. The model weighs in at around 200k polys, not light by any means but for the detail it's quite good. The model has very few smoothed parts. It is mostly edge beveled to levels 1-3

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 02-09-2011 at 11:32 AM.
# 7 28-07-2011 , 12:33 AM
Here is a good reference image so you can judge how close I came to matching it. I made a couple artistic changes but tried to stay true to the reference as much as possible.

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 28-07-2011 , 01:56 AM
Subscriber
Your ammount of detail is nothing short of amazing!

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 9 28-07-2011 , 02:07 AM
here are a couple closer shots so you can see some of the very low level details like rivets

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 28-07-2011 at 04:54 AM.
# 10 28-07-2011 , 04:55 AM
back 3/4 view.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 28-07-2011 at 05:25 AM.
# 11 28-07-2011 , 05:26 AM
front 3/4 no blue background

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 28-07-2011 , 05:30 AM
I have a texturing question (daverave I am counting on you buddy!)....

How would I UV and make a bump map to simulate the cable coil on the claws at the base? Was thinking of modeling it by modifying the nurbs circle I use to extrude the coil and I could then create a normal map but that just seems excessive.

... and yes I realize my diagonal loops are slanted a different way. It just depends on the reference image used. The one i was looking at when I modeled the coils was the way I have it modeled. I had to model things a little on the thick side so they registered better from a typical camera shot distance. (artistic license!)

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by ctbram; 28-07-2011 at 05:33 AM.
# 13 28-07-2011 , 06:14 AM
I tried an experiment and extruded an area of nurbs circles to get the cable effect, unfortunately the extrude along path has no twist option so it's close but does not have the cable twist (

and from the closest full camera shot the effect is hardly detectable and the silhouette would probably give a bump map away at close distances. Maybe just a light and dark ramp in a diagonal pattern on the straightened UV map?

Can I model a straight tube and UV it and then transfer the map to the coil? Texturing is not my strong suit!

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 28-07-2011 , 06:54 AM
okay I figured out how to extrude the cable and give it a twist. Instead of extruding an array of nurbs circles using surfaces>extrude I created an array of 6 sided polygons, combined them and extruded that object with polygon mesh>extrude (with polygon extrude there is a twist option - see image below). The results are quite good, but still not really visible at full shot range. I am thinking now I can create a normal map using the original tubes are the wrap geometry.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

# 15 28-07-2011 , 08:01 AM
Well I just do not know how to do a normal map. I spent some time and several tried and all I get is a smooth tube (

I put the highres cable geometry inside the original geometry and followed like 6 different tutorials and just keep getting the same results - a blank blue or grey normal map depending on if I choose object or tangent space! So I will just put the super high res cables in and live with super long renders I guess (

Last edited by ctbram; 28-07-2011 at 08:04 AM.