Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 14-04-2004 , 09:31 PM
The Maya Mountain

Originally posted by Soracia
Ok. But how many of your older students actually found a job in the industry?

If they're good, they'll get a job. We recently hired a designer who is a bit older than your average hire (upper 40s, I believe).

The whole thing is... if you're good, you'll get a job. Simple as that. Just a matter of finding it.

# 17 14-04-2004 , 09:41 PM
well at least not here... you know, we have had 3 years of fusions on the tv/cinema enterprises... and that means theres a lot of ppl fired and that means that you would habe to be on top of the very best or swallow a lot of shit to get a work in that area...
oh and in the videogames area there are only 2 enterprises wich are bigger than 8 persons counting the pea counter and the cleaning person... and the two big use exclusively max...

For all the efforts i have made on maya i have managed to get paid for doing some crappy metallic logos, an animated children plane and a pair of "for tomorrow" tv special introductory animations... that is exciting... i could as well have gone to a burgerking to work...

i have seen shutted down maya rooms with the silicongraphics just sitting there taking dust until they hired domeone(like for example me) for a pair of days...

;D well now im off to piss arround and i will be better in the morning user added image

Last edited by dragonfx; 14-04-2004 at 09:48 PM.
# 18 15-04-2004 , 12:01 AM
Subscriber

oh and in the videogames area there are only 2 enterprises wich are bigger than 8 persons counting the pea counter and the cleaning person... and the two big use exclusively max..

The games industry in this country is a basketcase. I've seen this at first hand and from the experience of my partner. Too many publishers want rip-offs of GTA and developers to self-finance games until they can take the result. And developers want to take years making one game that won't sell except to people like themselves. user added image

You do have to be at the top of the game here, but at least youth does give you an advantage IF you are prepared to take crap jobs for a few years and learn something in the process. Most universties in the UK have 3d courses that are Max exclusive and whilst thats great, the movie world seems to be Lightwave or Maya. I know of one person who worked on the latest Starsky and Hutch game, which was done in Max, found it very hard when she moved to another company to be then working exclusively in Maya.

Its just that in my opinion, if you have the experience (no matter what the job advertisements say), employers are very wary of you. When I moved to my present location with my partner, I applied for about three jobs that I was perfectly qualified for, only to be rebuffed. From what I could glean in their rejections, was simply that I was over-qualified and that my would-be bosses felt that I would find it hard to: (a) take orders from someone younger, but in a higher position than me (a stupid excuse. I just wanted a decent job. Who I would have worked for would have made no difference), (b) wouldn't want to take a starters wages (again, stupid reason. I just wanted a job) and (c), in the end, take their job (the worst. Are people THAT scared these days?).

# 19 15-04-2004 , 12:11 AM
Wow! I had no idea this would be such a touchy subject. LOL! Please allow me to elaborate a bit more on my first post. Part of the actual meaning I meant by wanting to make movies was on my own, in my own studio - to maybe one day become the next Phil McNally ("Pump Action"), Vic Navone ("Alien Song"), Jeff Lew ("Killer Bean"), or even Brian Taylor ("Rustboy") with my own movies. To win a few festivals wouldn't be too bad either. user added image I have so many stories I want to tell although they may suck to most people (most are so old now, they even suck to me). LOL Sooooo, am I using the wrong software to achieve this by myself? LOL!

I got really depressed a few weeks ago as I was driving my wife around to do her rounds for her job (she doesn't drive) and as I was staning around in one of our Office Max stores, I got teary eyed and finally I couldn't hold back. My wife asked what was wrong and offered to let me buy a goodie - I couldn't think of anything except more memory for my computer - and I asked...,"Can you buy me some talent?" She responded by saying,"Sorry but you can't buy talent, sweetie." Like I felt better after that. user added image

All I'm trying to say is I don't want to be 95 with arthitis before I get my first movie made. I do want to thank you all for your total support and help in this trying time for me. After watching "Kill Bill Vol. 1" last night, I'm inspired again! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 20 15-04-2004 , 05:33 AM
i have been slaying myself with this game company. That i have been working for, for over a year now, for no pay.

basically i had no income for about a year. and people keep on screwing me over.

but recently i got another freelance job. but most likely they'll screw me over as well.

but i know that this is what i want to do, and this is what i love doing. i though about quiting as well, but then i'll regret it in the future.

just keep cracking at it man! Start small.....grow big.

i bent my wookie!
# 21 15-04-2004 , 08:47 AM
Subscriber

Wow! I had no idea this would be such a touchy subject.

Yeah. Sorry man user added image
I didn't want to hi-jack what was obviously a light-hearted post and I also didn't mean to come off sounding so bitter. Believe me, I'm not.

(but like your good self, I don't want to end up being 90, with experience in 3d and still no job) user added image

# 22 15-04-2004 , 10:48 AM
did i sounded bitter? i was just doing a reality check...
you know, i myself would like to believe. I still have all those dreams myself... but, after all, i finish my business admin career this year(i hope) and im considering if i should totally forget the camera and maya as youth hobbys (decision which im sure ill most probably regret in the future) and, for example, get the licence as broker and invest other ppls money making good profits(wether they do or dont) without doing anything creative (or productive for that matter)... (who says that says take a work as clerk at pccity or other non artistic but slightly better paid, much more stable and with much less crunch time work...)

yeah, i know, im still on a dark mood...

Last edited by dragonfx; 15-04-2004 at 11:01 AM.
# 23 19-04-2004 , 11:23 PM

It Just Takes Time...

Okay, I now finally know why I love this hobby... because it's fun and when things work, they work! user added image Check out my thread under WIP called Crae McShae - Star of the Movie - Identity Crisis and you'll see what I mean. I'm still modelling my main character and it's all slow going but I know I'll do alright. If I can keep from messing him up, I'll do well. Gee, I never knew I'd get my inspiration to try again from watching Quentin Tarantino films again (case in point, "Kill Bill, Vol. 1" and "Reservoir Dogs"). I have a new found faith that I'll succeed. Thanks for reading this thread and responding to it as you all have. user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com