Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 13-06-2004 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
Use the sub d one, like u said it feels better with the squid of yours.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 17 14-06-2004 , 09:29 AM
Phew! Finally finished texturing this stupid boat. Took me longer to sort out all the geometry/texturing problems in this than the whole squid. Oh well, that's how you learn I guess. Anyways.. I really like how it's turned out, what do you guys think? Also, if anyone knows a good tutorial on modelling ocean water i'd be really appreciative. Until then I guess I get to rig the squid user added image

...Oh yeah! The picture. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 14-06-2004 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
cool boat! nice work :tup:

[SIZE=1.5]They say if you keep on trying, its good exercise.....lol[/SIZE]
# 19 14-06-2004 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
I like it, nice work.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 20 15-06-2004 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
nice work owmyi! If that is the final texture for the boat it might be a little too clean?

I would really like to know how you rig the squid. I'm totally lost when it comes to rigging/skinning, and your tentacles resembles the snakes on my Medusa model quite well.. user added image
Any help appreciated

keep it up!

- S

Stefan Doverud
<a href="https://www.doverud.com/">www.doverud.com</a>
# 21 16-06-2004 , 10:08 AM
Now that I'm looking at it I think I will be adding a bump map to the ship. It's *too* cartoony as it is now. As for the tentacles I have about 8 bones in each tentacle and they alll connect to a base joint in the middle of all of them (kinda where the eyes are). Then I bind it and I move the bones individually. It isn't very efficient for animating, but for just rigging it for a final render it'll do. Though it isn't being very cooperative. Taking some time away from the squid to work on the boat again is what I need.

# 22 16-06-2004 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber
Looking good matey, just one thing I noticed - the horn things on the top half of the kraken are smaller than the ones in the concept - think they would look nastier/intimidating if there size was increased?

cheers

Rich
# 23 16-06-2004 , 05:30 PM
what me interests is how did u texture the boat? Is it a texture file or have u done everything in maya with a ramp for the lowest blue line for example?whats with the other stuff on the boat?

# 24 16-06-2004 , 06:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looks like shaders mapped to certain faces.

# 25 17-06-2004 , 10:41 AM
Yep, you got it Mike.

# 26 17-06-2004 , 12:48 PM
Alright, seeing as I have to leave Monday for California I've dived back into getting this project done. So tonight I sat down and spread out every tentacle so the joints would work properly, then posed each and every tentacle (which is oh so fun). Next on the to-do list was setting up a quick, a.k.a. ghetto, Final Gather scene with water and the works. Finally it turns out mental ray doesnt render Sub-D surfaces, so both the squid and the boat got converted to about a million poly's.

Anyway whining aside, Here are some quick and dirty 320 by 200 renders of what I wanna have the final scene look like. There are no waves (does anyone know how I can do a realistic ocean without sculpting some 1000x1000 poly plane?). Also, it's way too sunny but I think I like how the tentacles look holding the boat and such. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 17-06-2004 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber
I think the overall effect is very cool, but as you said you need to work on the ocean, make it look more realistic. I would help you but Im very dumb when it comes to fluids user added image But a good start would be to make it slightly less transparant.

# 28 17-06-2004 , 03:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
Don't forget, the creature should be the focus. Maybe a dynamic view from beneath?

# 29 17-06-2004 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
well im assuming you dont have unlimited..but i guess you could just sculpt a fairly high density Nurbs plane....if your going to do an above water shot you should have some water particles flying around the base of whatever intersects the water.

# 30 18-06-2004 , 12:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure I'll end up sculpting a plane if I can't figure out a better way. Oh and Mike: Can I have more than 1 final image? Because I want to show the boat being entangled by the tentacles as well as like a view frum underneath. I've been playing with the camera trying to get it to do both in one shot and I don't think it's gonna work without one or the other being out of focus. Thanks.

Here's a printscreen of the polycount I'm working with user added image

Attached Images