Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 13-06-2004 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
Use the sub d one, like u said it feels better with the squid of yours.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 17 14-06-2004 , 09:29 AM
Phew! Finally finished texturing this stupid boat. Took me longer to sort out all the geometry/texturing problems in this than the whole squid. Oh well, that's how you learn I guess. Anyways.. I really like how it's turned out, what do you guys think? Also, if anyone knows a good tutorial on modelling ocean water i'd be really appreciative. Until then I guess I get to rig the squid user added image

...Oh yeah! The picture. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 14-06-2004 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
cool boat! nice work :tup:

[SIZE=1.5]They say if you keep on trying, its good exercise.....lol[/SIZE]
# 19 14-06-2004 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
I like it, nice work.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 20 15-06-2004 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
nice work owmyi! If that is the final texture for the boat it might be a little too clean?

I would really like to know how you rig the squid. I'm totally lost when it comes to rigging/skinning, and your tentacles resembles the snakes on my Medusa model quite well.. user added image
Any help appreciated

keep it up!

- S

Stefan Doverud
<a href="https://www.doverud.com/">www.doverud.com</a>
# 21 16-06-2004 , 10:08 AM
Now that I'm looking at it I think I will be adding a bump map to the ship. It's *too* cartoony as it is now. As for the tentacles I have about 8 bones in each tentacle and they alll connect to a base joint in the middle of all of them (kinda where the eyes are). Then I bind it and I move the bones individually. It isn't very efficient for animating, but for just rigging it for a final render it'll do. Though it isn't being very cooperative. Taking some time away from the squid to work on the boat again is what I need.

# 22 16-06-2004 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber
Looking good matey, just one thing I noticed - the horn things on the top half of the kraken are smaller than the ones in the concept - think they would look nastier/intimidating if there size was increased?

cheers

Rich
# 23 16-06-2004 , 05:30 PM
what me interests is how did u texture the boat? Is it a texture file or have u done everything in maya with a ramp for the lowest blue line for example?whats with the other stuff on the boat?

# 24 16-06-2004 , 06:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looks like shaders mapped to certain faces.

# 25 17-06-2004 , 10:41 AM
Yep, you got it Mike.

# 26 17-06-2004 , 12:48 PM
Alright, seeing as I have to leave Monday for California I've dived back into getting this project done. So tonight I sat down and spread out every tentacle so the joints would work properly, then posed each and every tentacle (which is oh so fun). Next on the to-do list was setting up a quick, a.k.a. ghetto, Final Gather scene with water and the works. Finally it turns out mental ray doesnt render Sub-D surfaces, so both the squid and the boat got converted to about a million poly's.

Anyway whining aside, Here are some quick and dirty 320 by 200 renders of what I wanna have the final scene look like. There are no waves (does anyone know how I can do a realistic ocean without sculpting some 1000x1000 poly plane?). Also, it's way too sunny but I think I like how the tentacles look holding the boat and such. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 17-06-2004 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber
I think the overall effect is very cool, but as you said you need to work on the ocean, make it look more realistic. I would help you but Im very dumb when it comes to fluids user added image But a good start would be to make it slightly less transparant.

# 28 17-06-2004 , 03:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
Don't forget, the creature should be the focus. Maybe a dynamic view from beneath?

# 29 17-06-2004 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
well im assuming you dont have unlimited..but i guess you could just sculpt a fairly high density Nurbs plane....if your going to do an above water shot you should have some water particles flying around the base of whatever intersects the water.

# 30 18-06-2004 , 12:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure I'll end up sculpting a plane if I can't figure out a better way. Oh and Mike: Can I have more than 1 final image? Because I want to show the boat being entangled by the tentacles as well as like a view frum underneath. I've been playing with the camera trying to get it to do both in one shot and I don't think it's gonna work without one or the other being out of focus. Thanks.

Here's a printscreen of the polycount I'm working with user added image

Attached Images