Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-08-2004 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber

Trouble with Z-depth

I'm trying to render a Z-depth file for use in Combustion. I've followed the documentation as closely as I can and I just get "corrupted file" when I look at what is rendered as the z-depth channel.

I'm sure I'm missing something but being new to this aspect of Maya (v6) I can't quite figure out what to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks user added image

# 2 27-08-2004 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
I'm guessing Dynamics/Particles are used so you should not be in Maya Software, if so try Maya Hardware in Render Globals. Select .iff as I believe you can only get Z depth in .iff format. Production quality with transparency is what I use as Z depth will give you true transparency around your objects for your composit program. Select the Frames you want rendered. Recently I rendered 1,800 frames in Z depth, opened the sequence in adobe A/E. It does come out beautiful. Just to let you know The frames took up about 1.3 GB. If you could be a little more precise. I'm sure someone here can help you through this Good Luck

# 3 27-08-2004 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber
hey bud, what platform are you on if you don't mind me asking.

# 4 27-08-2004 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
Multiplatform (mac & PC) but this render was done on a mac. Forgot to mention I used NTSC where You might use Pal

# 5 27-08-2004 , 07:41 PM
Subscriber
OK, I missed the doo-dad where Z-depth only renders in the "iff" format. I will try again with that approach.

I'm on Windows XP.

# 6 27-08-2004 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
OK, I figured it out. By rendering with Maya Hardware I was able to generate the Z-depth within the ".iff" file.

I use Combustion for compositing. So for the depth-of-field blur I used a Compound Blur with the zdepth file as the source and "wahlah", it worked.

Thanks for your help.