Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 06-11-2004 , 10:00 PM
ckyuk,

Yeah thats the logo.

sorry to be a pain but im still having some trouble with the clinder/circle positioning and merging. i do the clinder so that its the size i want and get the angle as best i can and then select the circle and clinder and do Polygons>Booleans>Intersection but the clinder then shapes sometimes and others goes a wierd angle that i didnt want and then the move option is near the centre when the clinder is way off centre.

I have not got a real clue on the basics of maya/3d modeling yet so I do applogise for being a pain in the bum.

Also when you have done the clinders how do you attach them to the circle? Do you make a new circle and then postion them to it? Im using maya ple on the mac and holding x didnt seem to do anything.

sorry again
Shane

AMD 3.2Ghz XP
1Gb PC400 3200 RAM
ATi Radeon 256Mb XT
320Gb (2x160Gb) SATA RAID HDD
# 17 07-11-2004 , 09:26 AM
you want to do a bouleans difference not intercection.. if you want to orient the move tool correctly, you can go to Modify>Center Pivot.. or press insert and move the tool manually..

create a new circle, and place the cylinder sphere thing so that it is lined up on the edge of the sphere.. no attaching is required.. x will allow you to move things so that it moves on the graph and is easier to line things up.. you need to hold down x while you do it.. not just press it..

# 18 07-11-2004 , 02:34 PM
heres what ive got.

[IMG]wip.jpg[/IMG]

i cant seem to work out how to make the objects different colours, and ive not even tried the animation side yet.

Shane

Attached Images

AMD 3.2Ghz XP
1Gb PC400 3200 RAM
ATi Radeon 256Mb XT
# 19 07-11-2004 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by sainttm
i cant seem to work out how to make the objects different colours

You'll need to assign new materials to each one. Do this by holding the "space bar" to bring up the main marking menu, then click "lighting/shading > assign new material > Blinn ". Then click the grey box by colour and pick the one you want.

# 20 07-11-2004 , 09:31 PM
Thanks ckyuk and billy cat,

you guys have been a great help and I now have this to show for it.

Just wondering, how do I animate it then - so, so, so sorry to keep being a pain.

Shane

Attached Images

AMD 3.2Ghz XP
1Gb PC400 3200 RAM
ATi Radeon 256Mb XT
# 21 09-11-2004 , 02:34 PM
Subscriber
AGHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I WORK FOR BT - ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!

# 22 09-11-2004 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by sainttm
Just wondering, how do I animate it then - so, so, so sorry to keep being a pain.

There probably are much better ways to animate it but what i did was:

Make sure all of the pivots (move handle) are in the centre. Do this by pressing insert to move it.

set the timeline with a range of about 1 - 34.

Make sure your running at 24fps. Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences, then click on settings.

Set a key for all your discs at frame 1 (press s) then move to frame 34 and rotate them 359 degrees so they are almost back where they started. Set another key.