Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 10-03-2005 , 10:56 AM
Subscriber

Before I go to bed.

The scene I'm going for is my woman character (sorta elf), sitting in the tree branches of a dead tree. Her clothing with be layers of fabric draped over her body.. and the branches, I started that a bit a lot more to go.

Attached Thumbnails

https://www.verticalincline.com
# 17 10-03-2005 , 06:47 PM
Subscriber
are her feet to be visible? if so, you might want to add some toes user added image

not that I am an expert on breast or anything but there are body types out there that have this appearance, so it's viable.

The skin tone makes her look like a plastic toy, have you started a texture for her or is this focused on the model/pose?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 18 10-03-2005 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber

I believe toes might be in order your exactly right, and the I haven't started a texture yet no. Currently I've been just playing a SSS shader. As soon as I finish modelling the cloth and hair. I'll be unwrapping and texturing. Thanx mhcannon.

# 19 13-03-2005 , 07:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
BillyZ

Is this for your reel? Need to know before I hand out some crit...

_J

# 20 13-03-2005 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber

Yes Jango, it is going to be for my reel.. so any CC would be helpful.

# 21 13-03-2005 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
oooo.... here comes the red pen user added image

# 22 13-03-2005 , 09:17 PM
Hey BillyZ

Ok for your reel huh.

First off, dont go nuts on modelling a load of stuff, basically I know you're enthusiastic about the Relic Games meeting but dont model loads of stuff thats gonna end end not so right, but do maybe 3_4 good pieces, and dont kill yaself over it either, theres loads out there to be had.

I have been thru reels in my time as production supervisor and I have seen more crap than good. Its been a case of 'look at all this crap' instead of just having a couple of really good pieces. So please dont let yourself fall into that category.

Right your model, I think you have attached and posed way too soon. The mouth area is the biggest offender here. I dont wanna sound like a scratched record but please get some good reference. The same with the ear. If its for a reel do your damndest to make it right. The lips seem very thin and sharp around the edges almost as if she is 'pursing' them, give them some volume and smooth them back a bit. And when I say smooth I dont mean smooth/subdivide etc. As for the ear you are on the right track you just need to define it a bit more, ears have all sorts of nooks and crannies so again as Ive said get some ref.

These areas are one of the hardest to do on a face as well as the eyes, jeez I have hassles with my stuff. Its nice to get good crit but its more beneficial to give constructive crit for improvement to go up a level if you like. Enough ranting

_J

# 23 13-03-2005 , 09:21 PM
mhcannon

LOL, Im not that bad am I? user added image

_j

# 24 13-03-2005 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
naah, I wrote that with much love user added image

I've learned a lot from your crits and I hope you keep 'em coming. Someday I'll have something worth your critique.

# 25 13-03-2005 , 09:40 PM
Hey mhcannon

Many thanks.

_J

# 26 14-03-2005 , 10:25 AM
Subscriber

Good points.

Hey Jango, all your info was duely noted. I admitted the ear is a little bit rushed and I will have to take a look at the mouth. As well I know the pose is way too soon, the reason why everything looks like it does is because I'm running out of time.. I would never hand this all in to a company as it is. But my course finishes closer to end of April, in which our school has a "gradshow" where members of the industry come to look at our work and sorta hire on this basis.

For my reel which is *now is recently revised, I want this character.. with that said I have to ask.. as a someone who views reels.. is nudity such a big deal. I admit this character will be covered to a point, but is it necessary to cover her up completely ( I see this in terms of art, where others might assume it smut). My teacher said I should in case I offend the person viewing.. in case she's a female?

Also I plan to model and old woman, another man character semi - comic like and a car. Just so I can show a bit of variety.

I love hard criticism its to the point, and its honest, totally keep it up Jango. I will continue updating as I go along in order to make my deadline. As soon as school is over, I will refine.

Thanx, I appreciate it.. both from you and mhcannon

# 27 14-03-2005 , 02:08 PM
Hey BillyZ

In regards to the nudity with figures or the human form in general I would say as long as its tasteful then leave it naked. A lot of fine art classes have female tutors here and I dont think they worry about naked forms male or female, its just regarded as art. And who ever is viewing your reel is a bit coy on the subject then they shouldnt be viewing reels as the work will differ in all shapes and sizes etc. As long as you execute it well I wouldnt worry so much. Its a case of horses for courses.

regards

Jango

# 28 20-03-2005 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber

Update

Working my butt off, I still need to set up some customized lighting and set up some bump maps etc.

Attached Thumbnails

# 29 21-03-2005 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
Cool little efl ya got there.

My crits = We love GI but my biggest pet peave about GI JOE users (just a guess here) is when they leave the color setting on default! Its BLUE! Yah I know the sky is blue and cast a SMALL amount of blue light but I hate when everythings blue (/ rant) So that said, I would work on cleaning up that ground texture, a little too purple I think (but that might be from the blue GI). I REALLY love her "clothes" they look awesome.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 30 22-03-2005 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber
Thanx for the kind words Vectorman. Yes the GI is a bit overdone, I just wanted something quick for the post, I'm currently working on a new lighting rig as we speak. And working on a bump map for the ground and trees.