Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-04-2005 , 04:06 PM

Walking Dino test

I've been working on this thing for almost 8 months so far and have just finished (90%) some animation to show you guys. The clip shows a large dinosaur walking down the street infront of my house. It's just a playblast video but it shows the animation and the video background that I shot from the roof of my house. If you have time, please check it out and give me some advice on how to make it better.

Here is the link:
T-rex project

Go there then click on the "compositing" link!!

# 2 13-04-2005 , 06:20 PM
Subscriber
Thats pretty cool bud.. cant wait to see the finished product with shadows etc in the render and the Dino looking less cartoon like. The only part of the animation that didnt look quite right, was the way his knees straightened after he had bent them together.

Also his tail seems to start infront of the tree on the LH side of the frame instead of behind it..

Cool stuff

# 3 13-04-2005 , 06:50 PM
Thanks, Uberstonks.

I think I know what you mean about the knees. Sort of like they hyperextend sometimes. I'll work on that..

The tail is infront of the tree now but during the final composite, I will create a mask for the tree so the tail will be behind it.

Personally, I'm not too thrilled with the way the feet bend while the model walks but I'm still learning how to design more complex rigs. The rig I originally came up with for the feet allowed the toes to bend in any position I wanted however, this was achieved thru MEL scripts that I wrote and I could not find a way to make certain functions keyable so that they would play back properly. Oh well. There's always the next time...
user added image

# 4 15-04-2005 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
I love it. I'm working on a velociraptor myself and got some nice tips from your site like adding ribs to the skeleton and adding more detail in the bumpmap. Nice site by the way.

# 5 15-04-2005 , 02:26 PM
Thanks Brains!

Here's a rendering I just did to test the lights and shadows. I used shadow maps but I think raytracing will look better. It will take longer to render but the results should be worth it.

user added image