Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 12-04-2005 , 10:16 PM
A small update, I made the sensor doodads that are on either side of the primary hull saucer. I started with a loft with a side trim to gut the opening out. Then I broke down the outer surfaces and rebuilt them into unique nurbs patches. The inner walls are offset surfaces. The I birailed the surfaces to connect the outer and inner skins,. And the spherical thingy is just a revolve.

user added image

My Gallery of Previous Work
# 17 15-04-2005 , 12:45 PM
I made some decent headway on the nav dome below the saucer these last few days. I want to finish it this weekend and get a good start on the photon torpedo launcher.

user added image

# 18 17-04-2005 , 03:29 PM
I finshed up the nav dome and am moving on to other parts. This still needs some widgets inside each port, but I'll get to those later, I mainly wanted to finalize the outer shape. Compared to the connie, this one has that 'mean' look to it user added image no wonder I suppose since it was the ship of the bad guy.

user added image

# 19 19-04-2005 , 07:27 PM
I've made good headway on the Photorp launcher since the weekend, basically refined the shape to my liking, did the cutouts, and made the nozzles. Those nozzles were a serious pain, and I'm glad that parts over. I'm getting a start on the rollbar now, just working on the connection between it and those phasor cannons (im not using subd's anywhere on this model, pure nurbs).

Here's some progress pics at the moment..

user added image

and rendered..
user added image

# 20 21-04-2005 , 06:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Jason

Nice model. Im not a nurbs fan prefer sds myself, I think youve done a bang up job on this! I'm not a fan of Star Trek either but I like what youve done alot

Look forward to the rest

_J

# 21 21-04-2005 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
So far your model looks great and i look forward to seeing this progress as i must of tried to model atleast ten ships from star trek when i first started using maya and they all turned out worse than my cars and that's bad. So maybe seeing this done will give me something to work towards and i'll have another go (in Sub-ds though, i can't work with NURBS).

# 22 21-04-2005 , 09:03 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, I used to hate NURBS too, mainly because of all the work-arounds you have to do in Maya as opposed to Rhino or StudioTools. But this project has increased my Maya NURBS skills tenfold, and although I still think they can be a pain sometimes, in many other ways, I really prefer it. I feel like I have better control over sharp/straight/curved edges, which is important for alot of hard durface modeling. But next model I do, I'm going to try and do more subd's since box modeling can be pretty fun too. I'm just not that good at it at the momentuser added image

# 23 24-04-2005 , 02:43 PM
I haven't gotten as much done this week, things have been going a bit slow. At any rate, I've pretty much gotten to what I'll be using as the rollbar that holds the weapons pod above the ship. I'm putting off doing all the widgets on the side until later, maybe next weekend. Probably next I'll start fleshing out the primary hull.

user added image

# 24 27-04-2005 , 12:30 AM
Well I decided to work on the widgets after all, so I'm making this a widget marathon week. I've pretty much made my best estimation of what the rollbar phasor widgets look like, and I'm moving on to the photorp launcher next. This has been a bit tough, and I've heavily depended on the Trek Mechanics mag (link see Brittain pics) for the details of these. Even with the full size images its hard to make out exactly whats there. This isn't totally perfect, but its pretty close and should do the trick. user added image

user added image

# 25 27-04-2005 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber
Great amount to detail in that superb model. In lamen's terms, that kix ass.

# 26 28-04-2005 , 03:49 PM
Cool thanks user added image

Here's what I've got done for the front widgets inside the photorp launcher. The reference images are good for the center and right half, but they're not so great for the left side. If anyone has a decent pics of this, I'd be greatly indebted!

Next on the list is the rear and then the upper and lower paneling..

user added image

# 27 01-05-2005 , 10:38 PM
I finished off the paneling on the photorp launcher, and did some tweaking on the nozzle shapes. Now time for the mainhull. Started by cutting in the major chunks and blocking out major widget areas. Nothing too major, but a typical starting point user added image

user added image

# 28 04-05-2005 , 01:22 PM
I decided to revisit the bridge module briefly because I really didn't like the end result topology that I had the first time around. Plus I wanted to fillet all of the edges together to get that nice smooth look that the actual prop has. So I basically reworked it and came to something I'm much happier with.

Also I was fiddling around with the tesselation options *just in case* I decide to convert this model to polygons, although my intentions are still to leave everything all NURBS. In the pic below you can see the rendered, vrs nurbs wire, vrs poly wire for the same model. This level of poly detail I thought was a decent compromise, although I could make it more/less high poly if it seemed appropriate.

user added image

# 29 04-05-2005 , 04:02 PM
Subscriber
Excellent model. I'm really looking forward to seeing it all finished.

Any chance of you writing a tutorial? I'm intrigued by Nurbs modelling, and would really like to learn it. Currently, the only time I use Nurbs is when I'm roughing out a shape, so I can get a decent start with the polys, ready for either Modo or the Maya poly tools.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 30 04-05-2005 , 04:14 PM
thanks, I'm looking forward to finishing it up too! I know what you mean about using nurbs for shaping prior to subd/smooth modeling. Thats actually a really good workflow, and produces good results alot faster.

Yes I could do a tutorial, but perhaps of a component as opposed to the whole thing (that would be way too involved). Lets see how it works out when I wrap this guy up.

user added image