Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 04-11-2002 , 01:03 AM

Originally posted by kal
Teres been speculation about this for the past 12 months, and it got to the point where doug walker (or whatever he's called) made a public statement saying A|W were NOT up for grabs. Apple may wish they were though, which is why such a story could appear on an apple roumor site. Given apples financial performace over the last 12 months I cant really see them in a position to be shopping for too much now anyway user added image

Hmm, now that I think of it, almost all the A|W shopping came from Apple dedicated sites. I hadn´t noticed that.

# 62 04-11-2002 , 07:36 AM
oh PLEASE not Apple!!! PLEASE!!!

Signatures are the opium of the masses.
# 63 05-11-2002 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
it is all the way you look at other software if you happen to use one the most or don't want to give up on a particular one - then you are not likely to give others a chance. i seen it myself when i got a hold of a computer with max. i thought maya is complicated to use, and now that i know a little bit how to use the ui of maya i came to the point: "cool that is how you would do it for 3d, it just comes natural if you learned how". but then i played with max a while. frustration started with the keyboard already: i tried almost every key to see what it does. and nothing changed anything. painting gestures with mouse? nope i could not find that. and i thought maya is bad as it "only" has one hierachy in gesture - i remember someone painting a picture to incredibly fast jump though such a click and drag thing in autocad i think. but then i have to thank maya for having an interface that is complex, makes use of the keyboard and even works if you only have a mouse (instead of huge tablets needed for cad programs). the best feature of max was the super cool tea pot. oh my god, who is using that? did any of you use it at all? for playing it is ok, but not to waste room on the screen - or are you supposed to have that in your animation ??

the bottom line is: i did not want to see how max is, i only wanted to see if it is as good as maya - so i was preoccupied.

Originally posted by moocow
oh PLEASE not Apple!!! PLEASE!!!

why not apple? at least in 2d graphics most pro prefer mac over windows. or you prefer microsoft over apple to buy a|w? i don´t think so.

# 64 05-11-2002 , 12:26 PM
hell, not microsoft. maya runs on other platforms anyway. i want sgi to keep a|w.

apple sucks the big one. they charge WAY too much for inferior hardware and they need to learn to place nice with normal peoples' file formats.

no point in buying a mac when you can build your own machine for half the price and make it a hundred times bigger and faster...unless you're some fruit that pays a premium for a shiny tangerine case.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.
# 65 05-11-2002 , 01:39 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by moocow
no point in buying a mac when you can build your own machine for half the price and make it a hundred times bigger and faster...unless you're some fruit that pays a premium for a shiny tangerine case.

i have to disagree with your opinion that it is possible to get a pc bigger and faster then mac for half the price - unless you count in more is better and higher number is better. actually, what counts is less is better. less time the machine needs to be done with your work is better. less time you need for support is better. and less time you need to learn the gui of a computer will give you more time learn the software you need to work with.

# 66 05-11-2002 , 01:57 PM
I smell a looooooong thread coming up user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 67 05-11-2002 , 02:00 PM

Originally posted by kbrown
I smell a looooooong thread coming up user added image

Hehehe, K-Man, I agree ... I won´t get into this one .. LOL

# 68 05-11-2002 , 02:35 PM
Kevin
oh dear...me thinks mr moocow has sparked the fuse user added image

# 69 05-11-2002 , 02:54 PM
HEHEH this is going to be a good one. I like both PC and APPLE. I've always had a MAC and got a PC for MAYA. Each one has certain things I like about it. One major thing I do find, my MAC a lot more stable than my PC.

Thats all im going to say I really don't wanted to get hunted down=)

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 70 07-11-2002 , 06:18 PM
SM Alumni
rant time.
Just look what Apple have done to Shake!!! pretty much killed it in its tracks... I dont know how many of you hang out on the shake list serv but when apple bought it there was absolute uproar.
Windows hardware is faster than mac hardware. Period. Compositing software such as shake requires fast hardware, hence the overwhelming majority of shake users ran it on windows boxes. The only thing that makes macs "easier" to use is the fact that they only have one mouse button.. well alas for mac users any highend piece of software uses 3. I'm aware OSX supports 3 buttons, but now where is the ease of use in that? user added image
They have ceased windows development (2.5 was the last version) and are not totally committed to linux. They are offering special discounts on existing windows users to get osx licenses at 1/2 price.. well whoopie doo. The sooner apple abandon theyre archaic architecture and embrace intel/amd hammer architecture the better, but I would still be pysically sick if they laid theyre hands on A|W.

Someone tell me why Apple would be a better choice than Microsoft? When MS bought Softimage they pumped a shedload of cash into development (which ok was primarily for a win32 port), got them into a position where they could start on XSI and then sold it on. Did they stop IRIX development? NO! they had some degree of sense and recognised that keeping the majority of theyre customers (which back then were the SGI/IRIX users) happy was a priority. Apple would likely kill windows support if they bought A|W just like they have with shake, again alienating the majority and potentially forcing them back to softimage..
So to echo moocows words - oh PLEASE not Apple!!! PLEASE!!!
rant end.
user added image

*edit*runs in and gets rid of all the swear words. must remember NOT to post anything to do with Apple/Macs after getting back from the pub in the future user added image

# 71 07-11-2002 , 06:21 PM

When MS bought Softimage

kal - I am not sure where you got this info, MS doesn't own Softimage.

# 72 07-11-2002 , 06:31 PM
SM Alumni
read the sentence again. all of it this time user added image

# 73 07-11-2002 , 06:33 PM
I assume you are referring to the last part:

"got them into a position where they could start on XSI and then sold it on."

are you saying that MS owned Softimage and then sold it.

# 74 07-11-2002 , 06:35 PM
Holy SHIT!!! I stand corrected.....I thought you for a shit...but I am wrong....This is freakin' crazy - I realized it happened years ago, but MS owning a major 3D platform.

# 75 07-11-2002 , 06:36 PM