Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 04-05-2005 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber
That'd be great. Maybe something like the torpedo launcher, or another fairly detailed part, just to get a feel for Nurbs.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 32 07-05-2005 , 06:21 PM
loving the work, my favourite ship has always been the miranda class.

give it blue warp necelles like in ds9 and more refit look

# 33 09-05-2005 , 09:16 PM
[trekGeek mode ON]

actually the blue glow was always present, but in the TMP movies the glow was only supposed to be there when the ship was traveling at warp speed. At impulse, there was no glow. but they decided to make all engines glow when TNG was made, and its stuck ever since.

[/trekGeek mode OFF]

My Gallery of Previous Work
# 34 19-05-2005 , 02:23 PM
HI all,

I've pretty much wrapped up all of the modeling on this ship, although I'm still working on a few detail widgets here and there. I have started setting up some of the texture bases (colors) and will soon start the shading and texturing. Here's a couple of wide shots so you can see how she has ended up. These pics don't do the detail justice, but I figured overall shots might be better for now. Forgive the blown out lighting on the front one, I was playing with FG in mental ray but clearly I need to work on that a bit.

I'll post some upper/lower shots later

user added image user added image

# 35 19-05-2005 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
Sahwheet!

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 36 20-05-2005 , 01:32 PM
Cheers user added image

I re-rendered the two images above, because I was really dissatisfied with them the more I looked at them, so I added a spotlight along with the final gather effect. I think it makes a much more attractive image. Check em out

I'm going to render out a dorsal/ventral view wide shot next but I have to do some repair modeling first so maybe tommorrow.

# 37 20-05-2005 , 02:20 PM
19 year Veteran
I have been watching the progress on this one, and I must say, you did a fantastic job. How about a cool space background, with the enterprise in it. I got it, how about a moment from ST:2, the battle in the Multar nebula.

# 38 02-06-2005 , 02:10 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates as of late. I've pretty much wrapped up the modeling of this ship (I finished off the underside widgets and made a few corrections and rebuilds). So I'm starting the texturing now. I'm going to tory and do this where my texture setup is as procedural as possible using base maps. This way I can get the thing textured decently to start with (my focus over the next few weeks) and then I can improve the base maps over time (at my leisure). I'll probably start with the bridge and work my way off the saucer.

Anyways, I don't have much to show at the moment since I'm still deciding on my texturing paridigm, but here's a top shot GI shot that looks decent user added image

user added image

# 39 07-06-2005 , 11:11 PM
excellent work!

I always wondered why doesn't the Miranda have any alf phasers other than the weapons pod

# 40 07-06-2005 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
Some inspirational work there bud.. Well done