Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-06-2005 , 11:04 PM

Polygon Splitting

Quick question that may save me a ton of poly splitting. I am making a cheezy little robot and when I convert from polys to subds certain parts are a pit too rounded. So to square them up I am using split poly to add a new line in and that squares it up. What I would like to know if I can grab the edges and some how pull them to where I want the new line to be and have it create vertices. Here is a little pic of what I am doing. Red arrows are what I am doing with split poly tool. Black arrows point to edges of an unsplit area. I have quite a bit to work on so looking for a easier way. Thanks.

user added image

# 2 01-07-2005 , 09:29 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Do you mean putting edges exactly where you want them?

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 3 01-07-2005 , 09:51 PM
Something like the add isoparm when working with nurbs. Some way to grab the edges and pull them in to make a new edge and vertices. I hope I am explaing my self right. Basiclly to grab the corner edge and create the edge where the red arrows are. That make sense? Basiclly looking for better way then having to split poly around the whole object.

# 4 01-07-2005 , 10:58 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
My oppinion is: The add isoparm tool exists because you can't split nurbs, since they aren't small planes. It is the same process with the split poly tool. You can split the plane faces as you like, since they can't become curved. So, adding isoparms is almost the same as splitting polys, the difference is that isoparms are more practical, as they add a loop split to the object. But for polys loop split, grab MJPoly Tools. Hope I'm explainin' all right.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 5 01-07-2005 , 11:09 PM
I think my brain exploded lol. I think I know where you are going. I never messed with the MJPoly tools. That is part of the bonus tools correct? I was just trying to find an easier way to add new vertices besides the split poly tool. While it works just fine for my I find I spend quite a bit of time going back and lining up, or adjusting the vertices. If I could just sort pull the edge to where I want it then the vertices would all ready be lined up. I will have to look at the mjpoly tools.

# 6 02-07-2005 , 12:07 AM
Subscriber
a trick that may work for you is to select the faces of one side and the extrude parallel to the face toward the center of the face.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."